0W-16 or 0W-20 for road trip?

The recommendations so far seem to be to stick with 0W-16, or use 0W-20, or 0W-30, or 5W-30, or 10W-30 or 0W-40, or 10W-40. Did I miss any?
LOL 15w-40 for summer use. :D (Which is probably actually specified in other parts of the world)

Be careful with the latest Toyota engines.
I read somewhere that it may give you issue when using oil other than 0w-16.
I am not sure on the detail, though.
People keep posting things like this....and, just like the "thin oils will damage your engine" comments, there is absolutely no evidence to back this up. None.

But when the manual says a thicker oil will be required....IMO that's the engineers finally getting a say.

LOL 15w-40 for summer use. :D (Which is probably actually specified in other parts of the world)

People keep posting things like this....and, just like the "thin oils will damage your engine" comments, there is absolutely no evidence to back this up. None.

But when the manual says a thicker oil will be required....IMO that's the engineers finally getting a say.
FWIW, this is about the latest Toyota Engine, just in case you don't keep it up with it:

FWIW, this is about the latest Toyota Engine, just in case you don't keep it up with it:

He's "seen some issues with oil" ... like what? He didn't say, and is he talking specifically about this engine?

Also, I highly doubt the variable volume oil pump uses an oil pressure feedback system to keep the oil pressure at an exact level regardless of engine RPM. If so, who can prove it with some shop manual verbiage? In most vehicles with a variable volume oil pump, the "low" and "high" volume modes are basically just triggered off the PRM when the oil temperature is within the proper range.

15w40 diesel oil.

I joke, I joke. I ran 5w30 in a Subaru spec'd for 0w20 for the same reason. You're always driving into a 30mph wind at 85mph east of Montana. Engine really gets worked and loaded. That was my thinking for a higher viscosity. Based on feelings and opinions. Not necessarily facts or science.
It IS FEELINGS. I tow a 5,000 pound 30 foot travel trailer up 8,000 foot high mountain passes and the spec calls for 0W/20. That's what I run.

Thanks. Interesting tech but waaaay too complicated IMO. Especially EGR, which for the most part has always been problematic and solely for emissions.

Have to agree with the comment about the variable oil pump. Dude in the video said nothing about damage, only that it reduced friction. In fact, same language was used as when 20 grade started to be used - that you could use a thicker oil but must go back to the thinner next oil change.

Add to that the verbiage in the o.m. stating a thicker oil is needed for certain circumstances.

Curious what the specification for this new engine is outside the US.

Curious what the specification for this new engine is outside the US.
That would be telling, especially since it's a 0W-16 spec. I'm wondering what its use in other countries calls out.

That would be telling, especially since it's a 0W-16 spec. I'm wondering what its use in other countries calls out.

russ (1).jpg

Last edited:

Don't forget the VVT won't work properly! Lol...

Thank you, sir....and even though Russian is not one of my languages it's plain to see that, once again, thicker oils are specified outside the US. [Insert discussion here about lower quality oils elsewhere....which is hogwash since M1 and others are available worldwide]

So. This leads me to say: OP is fine putting in whatever oil he'd like, up to and including 15w-40, for his anticipated high engine load trip out west this summer.

Thank you, sir....and even though Russian is not one of my languages it's plain to see that, once again, thicker oils are specified outside the US. [Insert discussion here about lower quality oils elsewhere....which is hogwash since M1 and others are available worldwide]

So. This leads me to say: OP is fine putting in whatever oil he'd like, up to and including 15w-40, for his anticipated high engine load trip out west this summer.

Attachments

• translated.jpg
    translated.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 51
Looks just like the 1UR recommendations in manuals outside the US. Literally every grade commonly available is fine 😂

i posted in the Lexus GX group that i was gunna run Supertech 10w-30 and reuse my Fram oil filter(purposefully left out the Ultra part) from the the previous change. Their heads collectively exploded.

5w30, 10w30 or 0w40 will all be fine. it will also make you feel better During those times when you are Pushing into the wind and the Transmission won’t go into the top gear or two. for a few hours at a time.

I posted the Russian manual for the new A25A engine. Toyota has been specifying 0W-20 in some of their previous engines, including the venerable 2AR-FE, which is the previous version of the 2.5 litre, 4-cyl engine, along with the 2GR-FKS, which is the 6-cylinder engine.. 0W-20 has been specified for those engines in the US for more than a decade. Here, in English, is the lubrication page from an owner's manual outside the US. This may also give some clarity to the Russian language version.

2ARFE.jpg

Back