09 Ram/rear coil springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: berge
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2009/dodge/ram/spied/rumors.html

can anybody explain the difference between the two types of suspension. Pros, cons?

"A coil sprung rear suspension is different from a coil over rear suspension, like Honda uses in the Ridgeline crossover utility truck."

thanks.

Lets quote a little more!
grin2.gif

Quote:
Using a coil spring setup in the rear should provide better ride comfort and virtually eliminate rear axle hop on rough roads.

It costs more so you will pay more. I think though it will weigh a little less. Also, most of the time I've seen coil rear ends, they don't carry a load as well or tow as well. (Ford SUV rear ends are my only experience)

I've never had a problem with leaf springs and if your getting rear axle hop, I'd do two things.

1. slow down
2. get off the gas

I've seen first hand what the costs of link/coil/strut rear ends cost when in a accident. They are not cheap. (in a Subaru)

Bill

bill,
I meant more of the actual construction/feel/payload/characteristics differences between the two rear susp. setups.

-is 'coil sprung' more robust that 'coil over rear'?
-what are the differences in terms of perfomance/load between the two?
-visually even, can anyone point out some pics.

I'm curious because I have a ridgeline and want to see what chrysler's motivations were to go with coil sprung as opposed to coil over rear.

thanks

Quote:
I'm curious because I have a ridgeline and want to see what chrysler's motivations were to go with coil sprung as opposed to coil over rear.

The coil sprung is a smaller package so it may save them some space that they can use for other things.

I think a lot why Dodge is going to it with their remake of their truck is its going to be something that they can say they have that the others do not.

For the average Joe (or Bill) its not going to do a thing. The leaf suspension works well IMO.

Of course, I am a keep it simple person.
48.gif

Take care, bill

Makes the trucks more appealing to people that don't need trucks.

Makes people that need a truck have to buy a 3/4 ton.

Make me sick...I never had a problem with a leaf spring rear and I doubt I would have been able to seriously abuse my Ranger as much as I did with coil springs in the rear. Plus turning a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton is as simple as adding some helper springs.

Try doing that with coils.

A truck is really a WORK vehicle so you want strength, durability and simplicity. My 2002 supercab F-150 has rear leaf springs and rides quite nicely for a truck. Most likely SUV's that are derived from truck platforms benefit from rear coil springs. They do give a passenger car ride and don't need the strength of leaf srings due to lack of heavy loads. I've never needed rear leaf springs replaced because of breaking from rust. But I've has rear coil springs replaced because of breaking due to rust. I bought my truck to be a truck and carry what I put into it without faltering.

Whimsey

Changing shocks on my son's 92 F150 was amazingly easy; just unbolt and remove the old one, place the new one on one stud, cut the restrainer and when it gets to correct length slip on the other stud, install bolts and torque. Don't even need to put the vehicle on a jack. I haven't attempted trying to replace the more expensive struts on the Taurus yet as it is stupidly complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring

...However, leaf springs are still used in heavy commercial vehicles such as vans and trucks, SUVs, and railway carriages. For heavy vehicles, they have the advantage of spreading the load more widely over the vehicle's chassis, whereas coil springs transfer it to a single point. Unlike coil springs, leaf springs also locate the rear axle, eliminating the need for trailing arms and a Panhard rod, thereby saving cost and weight in a simple live axle rear suspension.

before this degenerates into a 'well, a real truck.....' discussion, is there anyone that can identify the differences between "A COIL SPRUNG REAR SUSPENSION VS COIL OVER REAR SUSPENSION"

I've often wondered if force builds linearly [F=[I]k[/I]x] in relation to displacement on a leaf spring the way it does with a coil spring.

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/coilover.html

What does coilover mean?
The term coilover describes a suspension design where a coil spring is placed around the shock absorber. In fact, your Honda probably already has coilovers as stock! Coilover design is used as opposed to leaf springs on trucks, torsion bars (like 1st gen CRX and Integra), and torsion beams (like VW rear axles where the coil spring is placed separately from the shock to allow more interior space). Kits from Ground Control and Skunk2 are often loosely called "coilovers" and is wrong. They are more appropriately called "adjustable spring" kits, and can be used to convert originally non-coilover suspension to coilover suspension (trucks do this all the time). These kits are mainly for those who wish to customize their suspension because of the adjustability that these kits offer.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/suspension.shtml

Most Muscle Cars with automatic transmissions will leave the line hard with good traction (depending on tire adhesion) and no wheel hop. Manual transmission cars are more susceptible to wheel hop due to the harsher and erratic application of power to the rear axle. Faulty alignment of the rear axle, badly worn shocks and/or springs, and loose or faulty bushings in the rear control arms will contribute to the tendency to wheel hop, regardless of the transmission type. Changing the suspension design/operation by using air shocks or coil over shocks will almost always cause wheel hop, because both inhibit the normal rotation of the rear axle assembly.

http://www.trinituner.com/shop/coilover.php

There are two type of coilovers. They are true coilovers and sleeve type coilovers. True coilovers are a set up where the shocks have a threaded-body, when as the other one utilize a 'sleeve type' thread. One of the older, well-known manufacturer for coilovers is H&R. Now, there are different companies such as Tein, Intrax, etc also making coilovers. However, Ground Control was the pioneer of sleeve designed coilovers. We have no doubt about the benefits of true coilovers. But what about the sleeve type'? Does it work? In theory, it works the same as true coilovers. In real life, it doesn't even come close to the non coilovers shocks and springs setups.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Chevy/GMC had coil rear springs back in the 60's, this is nothing new.

I had a 1972 Chevy stepside with coil springs in the rear. It could haul what I needed it to haul. I actually prefer leaf springs due to simplicity.

The primary disadvantage of multi-leaf springs is the friction between the leaves that has to be overcome before the suspension can move in response to a bump... this makes vehicles with multi-leaf springs ride more stiffly than vehicles with coil springs of equivalent ratings.

While leaf springs are heavier than equivalent coils, the additional control arms needed to locate coil spring axles offsets that to some degree, if not entirely.

Dave, Times do change don't they. Back in the olden daze when shock absorbers were lousy the day they were made and rapidly got worse as the vehicle was driven, inter leaf friction was a feature, not a bug.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I've often wondered if force builds linearly [F=[I]k[/I]x] in relation to displacement on a leaf spring the way it does with a coil spring.

Close enough to linear unless the spring was designed to be non-linear. It's a complex calculation and the force/displacement curve can be tailored by the way the leaf spring is designed.

On a variable rate leaf spring you can usually see that not all the leaves are in full play with the vehicle at unloaded height. This is usually only done on trucks and other heavy duty vehicles.

You can also vary spring rates with clever shackle design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back