Ram 2500 6.4 vs. F-250 7.3 Gas

There seems to be some concern about the pin weight due to the horse trailer. A 3/4 ton might buy more head room?

This is the truck that is currently being considered:

Any F-250 7.3 is at least another 10k - is it truly worth the premium?
That’s an excellent price for that Ram 2500. I would have guessed much more. Hopefully it’s not gone by the time they pull the trigger. I didn’t check their inventory.

Any F-250 7.3 is at least another 10k - is it truly worth the premium?

Probably not, and I say that as someone who has only owned Ford trucks and SUVs.

This is light duty use for either truck, and either one will probably last decades in that situation.

If I was spending that much on a truck anyway though, and especially if it was something I'd be keeping a while, I'd try to get exactly what I want. They need to test drive both. If they like the Ram, I don't think the pros/cons you mentioned are worth a $10k premium. Personally, I'd probably get the Super Duty just because I like Ford trucks. I haven't even driven the current gen though, I think the newest one I have driven any amount was an 06 6.0 PSD 2wd F-250 my cousin had. I loved that truck on the highway, parking was the only thing I didn't like about driving it (long bed Super Cab).

wow. prices are nuts. four years ago i paid 35k for a new 2500hd crew work truck 6.0 gasser, msrp was 44.5 or so. i guess the trade ins are really high too so maybe it’s a wash.

i feel like one of those old guys talking about back when gas was only 25 cents per gallon, but it’s only been four years!

They bought this yesterday:

323FC19D-A69F-4A46-B515-968B2F3C4E5B.jpeg

Pretty much the same truck that @RAR purchased but with the Chrome Appearance Group.

The dealer sold it for $3k under MSRP. In normal times this would be a mediocre deal. But in current times, this is a steal IF you need a new HD truck.

This truck was optioned with the 5th wheel prep package, Chrome appearance group, off-road pkg, Tradesman Level 2 pkg, 4.10 gear ratio, anti-spin rear diff, Electronic shift-on-the-fly Transfer Case, Power Trailer Tow Mirrors (but manual folding), LED Bed Lights, UConnect 8.4 and the Trailer Brake Controller.

Overall, it is a decently equipped work truck but lacks many of the modern comfort features that you would expect for $46K. For what they are planning to do, this will work.

Last edited:
Love it… mine looks good blacked out the way it is, but the chrome package would also look great.

It is very much a heavy duty truck, and reminds you at every bump, road crack and patch… and each twist in the road.

But that’s why I have a Charger, for when I don’t need the truck 😎

Attachments

• BCB00A85-55AD-415D-A304-0D60F7AE21A3.jpeg
    BCB00A85-55AD-415D-A304-0D60F7AE21A3.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 20
Thought this was an interesting comparison between the two:

In this market, that was a reasonable deal. That being said, if the towing weights being described were correct, then the 3/4 ton is overkill and a 1/2 ton would have done the job fine, been lighter on the pocketbook, use less gas overall, and have better ride quality when unloaded. If all it does is tow, then perhaps I could go there.

We run a ton of the 6.2's in the F250s and have zero trouble with them. As good as the godzilla is, the premium isn't worth it right now.

Hit about 13:30 for comparisons.

Thats where the 7.3L shines. It was an absolute monster when they sent it up the ike at full load and blew the 6.4L and 6.6L completely out of the water. The power numbers on papaer would not suggest such a difference.

Supposedly where the 7.3L does better is that it is built from the ground up to run lean and so they are able to richen it up at altitude and able to keep power losses lower. So instead of losing 30% of its power at 11000' it might only lose 25% or something.

Thats where the 7.3L shines. It was an absolute monster when they sent it up the ike at full load and blew the 6.4L and 6.6L completely out of the water. The power numbers on papaer would not suggest such a difference.

Supposedly where the 7.3L does better is that it is built from the ground up to run lean and so they are able to richen it up at altitude and able to keep power losses lower. So instead of losing 30% of its power at 11000' it might only lose 25% or something.
Well 4.30 gears and 10 speeds really help. GM really limited the 6.6 with 6 speeds and 3.73 gears. That stuff really makes most of the difference.

In this market, that was a reasonable deal. That being said, if the towing weights being described were correct, then the 3/4 ton is overkill and a 1/2 ton would have done the job fine, been lighter on the pocketbook, use less gas overall, and have better ride quality when unloaded. If all it does is tow, then perhaps I could go there.

We run a ton of the 6.2's in the F250s and have zero trouble with them. As good as the godzilla is, the premium isn't worth it right now.
6FF90C31-890D-48EB-8CD9-4A7FE6969D81.jpeg

Speaking of fuel, this is their lifetime average. There is about 300 miles of towing in that figure. They drive gently.

So far the truck has fit their needs very well. The ride quality is only slightly firmer than my truck; I was expecting far worse. I think the rear coil springs are a huge contributor to this.

Sounds like a lot of engine, a lot of truck, and a lot of money to pull a trailer that a Ford Ranger could.

I'd go 1/2 ton.
The 150/1500 has IFS, the Ford SD/Ram HD use a solid front axle. If you spec an HD gasser right, it will cost no more than a 1500/150.

My next truck will be a Ram 2500 6.4 hemi, the 8HP75 (ZF 8 speed) auto is rock solid.

Back