Ram 2500 6.4 vs. F-250 7.3 Gas

I can tell you that folks who use their trucks in the oil fields of western Canada drive (mainly) Ford SuperDuties. A friend drives a Ram 1/2 ton as his daily driver because of the ride quality but a Ford in the oil patch. My uncle was an oil man - his company cared only about the bottom line, not brand loyalty - and they were exclusively Ford.

Best feature of the Cummins on the ram is exhaust brake it helps a ton towing in real life

gas just pick what one you can get better dealer service with. Fords are more money typically but many times have a better repair network in a lot of areas

I would choose the RAM for the better interior alone. Not much difference between the two power wise but since you are in the cab a lot, you may as well have the best interior surrounding you.

I drove a 2017 and for the power it is no where near as good as my 2017 6.0, but Ram has fixed the gearing with the 8 speed and in it really isn't even the same truck, they do really well
Turbos work wonders.

Ford 7.3 all the way - if you are worried about the ride put a set of Bilsteins on it.

If the weight was a static 6K then a half ton would be fine, but horses aren't static and move around and 3/4 ton is a better way to go.

I just sold a 7.3L with 4700 miles on it. Great truck but.....
Had four new SD. Fords in one decade. 3 gas and one Diesel.

Avoid the 7.3 right now. I know a few guys on here have them but I wouldn't buy another at this time
The Ram 6.4 is no winner either.
If I had to choose i would gamble on the Ford in crew cab only.

I'd go with a 2021 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the Hemi 5.7L and the 3.92 rear axle.
Get the 8.4" uconnect screen, trailer tow package with heated wheel and seats.
It will handle the trailer fine and get you some nice upgrades for the price.
No need to get into 2500 series with that trailer weight.

Last edited:

Avoid the 7.3 right now. I know a few guys on here have them but I wouldn't buy another at this time

Why? What is wrong with the 7.3L?

I'd go with a 2021 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the Hemi 5.7L and the 3.92 rear axle.
Get the 8.4" uconnect screen, trailer tow package with heated wheel and seats.
It will handle the trailer fine and get you some nice upgrades for the price.
No need to get into 2500 series with that trailer weight.
There seems to be some concern about the pin weight due to the horse trailer. A 3/4 ton might buy more head room?

This is the truck that is currently being considered:

Any F-250 7.3 is at least another 10k - is it truly worth the premium?

You seemed quite happy with it till this thread?

Please do share, Ive got 2 friends with them and they like them.

There seems to be some concern about the pin weight due to the horse trailer. A 3/4 ton might buy more head room?

With an apples to apples comparison between Ford and Ram, with the only big difference being the 7.3 vs the 6.4, I’d say no way. Not worth the premium for the Ford. Seems like you’re finding what I did. I got a Ram Cummins for the same price that I could have gotten a Ford 7.3. And got a higher trim package on the Ram. I was actually looking for a Ford or GM 2500 with the gas motors (7.3 or 6.6). But those dealers seem to be very proud of their trucks right now and had no interest in selling at a discount. Most were above MSRP. Enter the Ram Cummins.

I've sold quite a few of the 2500 with 6.4L Hemi. They get the job done.
A good choice imo.

I've sold quite a few of the 2500 with 6.4L Hemi. They get the job done.
A good choice imo.
Unless something has changed-it's my understanding if you drive the truck off the lot in California-sales tax is due to California. If you find it's different-let us know.

Watched several Youtubes on Ram/Cummins/Aisin trucks used to deliver RVs today. 1 million miles on one, 570k miles on another, original engine and trans on all of them. Pretty sweet!

Watched several Youtubes on Ram/Cummins/Aisin trucks used to deliver RVs today. 1 million miles on one, 570k miles on another, original engine and trans on all of them. Pretty sweet!
There are a couple of reasons for this-
1) It's a solid power train combo
2) It's been several years that new trucks don't pencil out if you want to get in to this business.

A Colorado or Canyon 2.8 Duramax can tow that trailer and get 18-20 MPGs in the process. I’d be interesting in selling mine if they are interested. It’s a 2017 CCLB 4x4 All terrain-X package with 30k miles. Comes with B&W drop hitch. Located in Sacramento.

I haven't watched any videos of pickups used to deliver RV's. But I do have a '17 RAM Dually with the HO Cummins, Aisin trans, and 4.10 gearing. It pulls our very heavy 5th wheel toy hauler, and has had no issues.

I'd avoid the '19-'20 models, as they have the problematic CP4.2 HPFP, that Ford still uses on their Scorpion 6.7 Diesel.

A Colorado or Canyon 2.8 Duramax can tow that trailer and get 18-20 MPGs in the process. I’d be interesting in selling mine if they are interested. It’s a 2017 CCLB 4x4 All terrain-X package with 30k miles. Comes with B&W drop hitch. Located in Sacramento.
Thanks for the offer, but they prefer to stick with gas.

Back