04 Tacoma 240K - High varnish, some sludge was running T6 10-15K

Originally Posted by Ram02
Shell/Pennzoil haven't changed I see the waxes they still maybe using in there oils .

How so? Considering the miles on the vehicle, and the OCI the OP did well imo.

You dont have sludge, realistically for the age of the truck and mileage the varnish is normal and it looks clean. If you really want to get rid of the varnish do a treatment or two of auto-rx.

Inside your engine looks good tbh. I took the valve cover off my 2az-fe when I bought it two years ago and it looked much worse than your tacoma. I am talking about all metal surfaces stained dark brown like a turd. The previous owner had always used GTX or VWB and changed every 5-7k. The car burns about a quart every 1,500 miles, so I guess that lines up with when the red oil lamp would come on!

T6 is a good product. If you don't like the stains, then try a shorter oil change interval on your next ride.

You got 240k using t6 and your engine looks like that with a 10-15k oci. If you're looking to do it a bit more justice just shorten the oci to a 6-10k and call it a day. If t6 is all its known for 17 years and 240k miles then I'd say t6 is what should stay in it.

The diesel Jetta guys did some testing years ago and found that Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck was the best overall choice in both VW diesel and gas engines. Specifically, the elimination of cam lobe failures in problematic engines. So I switched to it in a number of my vehicles and my OPE. In particular, my Jaguar X-Type with the 2.5 V6. That engine is known for connecting rod bearing wear, especially when using thin oils. I'm at 200,000 miles now and the engine is spotless inside, no signs of bearing failure, excess cam chain wear or other issues.

That looks like varnish more than sludge. At 240,000 miles I would expect that to some degree. The important parts look good.

If it were me I would go with a 10k oci. Stay with the current oil.

Don’t see any sludge. However I would never run a diesel oil in a gas engine I’d get any good oil and put in there that’s for gas engines.

While not the worst I’ve seen, it certainly isn’t the best either. I’m sure shortening the OCI will help to slowly clean it up if that’s what your goal is here.

I agree, looks good for 240k. Curious why you are running T6. Don't get me wrong, T6 is a good oil and has served you well. But IIRC it is not the spec this engine calls for. I would run M1 5w30, 10w30 or 0w40... it's cheap, it's very good, and it's everywhere.

Stick to 7k and RGT 5w30 if anything your wallet will thank you there always seems to be some deal on RGT where you can buy 3 5qt jugs for like a nickel and some old pocket lint.

Back