04-09 Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know your budget or space requirements, but have you considered the Prius C instead of the standard Prius?

Many users get around 50mpg combined. It's a 5-door hatchback similar in size to a Yaris, just a bit smaller than a Mazda 3 hatchback.

I also looked at the Ford C-Max Hybrid since the size, price, and incentives were attractive. Reliability pales in comparison to the Prius.

PS - I used to drive a 2007 Aura XE. I liked the ride, power, and handling. Attractive too.

Originally Posted By: strat81
I don't know your budget or space requirements, but have you considered the Prius C instead of the standard Prius?

Many users get around 50mpg combined. It's a 5-door hatchback similar in size to a Yaris, just a bit smaller than a Mazda 3 hatchback.

I also looked at the Ford C-Max Hybrid since the size, price, and incentives were attractive. Reliability pales in comparison to the Prius.

PS - I used to drive a 2007 Aura XE. I liked the ride, power, and handling. Attractive too.
I have considered the Prius c and the ford fusion hybrid. I would much rather have one of those compared to an older Prius however I can't afford a new or slightly used car right now. I like my aura overall but I have the 4cyl ecotec a and it still only gets 25mpg on mostly highway trips. Also my cel light came on on my way to work. I'm like what now car?! Its turning into a money pit. Its had all fluids changed. New tires and custom wheels. New brakes and rotors all around. Almost all of the window motors/switches have been replaced. Two door speakers frt Dr and pass side replaced. Brake pedal sensor replaced. 2 hub assemblys replaced. Replaced one muffler with a straight pipe bc it had a hole in it and wouldn't have passed safety. Tinted windows. I made it look sleek but its so demanding with repairs. Sorry if this is typed sloppy I'm on my phone.

A quick search on Autotrader suggests that used Camry hybrids are fairly affordable. The bottom end seems to be near the top end of the '04 to '09 Prius. It seems reasonable to believe that it should be a fairly reliable car if it uses the same basic tech as the Prius.

Originally Posted By: Lillikai

I have considered the Prius c and the ford fusion hybrid. I would much rather have one of those compared to an older Prius however I can't afford a new or slightly used car right now. I like my aura overall but I have the 4cyl ecotec a and it still only gets 25mpg on mostly highway trips. Also my cel light came on on my way to work. I'm like what now car?! Its turning into a money pit. Its had all fluids changed. New tires and custom wheels. New brakes and rotors all around. Almost all of the window motors/switches have been replaced. Two door speakers frt Dr and pass side replaced. Brake pedal sensor replaced. 2 hub assemblys replaced. Replaced one muffler with a straight pipe bc it had a hole in it and wouldn't have passed safety. Tinted windows. I made it look sleek but its so demanding with repairs. Sorry if this is typed sloppy I'm on my phone.

You just explained why, after four GM vehicles, my most recent vehicle acquisition was a Toyota and why my next one will probably be another Toyota.

Have you considered leasing? The Prius and Prius C lease pretty well.

Lillikai,

Since you guys already have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, why don't you consider another one? If your budget allows for it, look for one with 70,000 - 90,000 miles on it. You already know what to expect out of it.

Perhaps, I am a bit biased, since I own the same 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I am looking at an indicated 47 mpg on mine (mostly highway driving), and mine has been "bulletproof" in the first 105,000 miles. No reasons to return to the dealer, other than routine oil changes and one CVT fluid change. It is the car everyone overlooks.

The reason I chose the Fusion, as opposed to the Prius, is a safety one. I'd rather take my chances in a midsize vehicle accident, rather than a compact. If you have seen some the accidents I have, you'd agree. I'd rather have 9/10 the Prius fuel mileage, just to get 12/10 the safety margin. (I don't want to imply that the Prius is not safe, I just think being able to walk away from a crash is a priority). I would also consider a used Camry Hybrid.

^always amazed at your mileage. I drive a 2010 Fusion Hybrid at work (25k miles only) and get 35-36 avg lifetime mpg. And its likely I have the higher numbers out of the other guy's cars too! On a long road trip, 75mph = 34mpg. Hit stop&go traffic and I can break 40 easily, though. I think non-warmed up, short trips around town and higher freeway speeds are the difference.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Lillikai,

Since you guys already have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, why don't you consider another one? If your budget allows for it, look for one with 70,000 - 90,000 miles on it. You already know what to expect out of it.

Perhaps, I am a bit biased, since I own the same 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I am looking at an indicated 47 mpg on mine (mostly highway driving), and mine has been "bulletproof" in the first 105,000 miles. No reasons to return to the dealer, other than routine oil changes and one CVT fluid change. It is the car everyone overlooks.

The reason I chose the Fusion, as opposed to the Prius, is a safety one. I'd rather take my chances in a midsize vehicle accident, rather than a compact. If you have seen some the accidents I have, you'd agree. I'd rather have 9/10 the Prius fuel mileage, just to get 12/10 the safety margin. (I don't want to imply that the Prius is not safe, I just think being able to walk away from a crash is a priority). I would also consider a used Camry Hybrid.

I have considered one, there's just not that many out there! I'll look around local dealers and owners and see if I can find one. Great suggestion!
wink.gif
I would like to hit the 50 mpg mark if possible. Also you said you did a CVT flush, you'll have to let me know how that went.

You just explained why, after four GM vehicles, my most recent vehicle acquisition was a Toyota and why my next one will probably be another Toyota.

Have you considered leasing? The Prius and Prius C lease pretty well.

I haven't because I think I put more miles on each year than what it would be worth to lease. Also I'm not quite sure how a lease works b/c no one I know has had a lease. So I'm guessing your Aura had a lot of problems too. GM needs to get it together. A 6 yr old car should have this many issues. My 89 Pontiac Sunbird was a money pit too. I think I just have bad car luck! lol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl
A quick search on Autotrader suggests that used Camry hybrids are fairly affordable. The bottom end seems to be near the top end of the '04 to '09 Prius. It seems reasonable to believe that it should be a fairly reliable car if it uses the same basic tech as the Prius.

I'll look at local Camry hybrids too.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Lillikai,

I have considered one, there's just not that many out there! I'll look around local dealers and owners and see if I can find one. Great suggestion!
wink.gif
I would like to hit the 50 mpg mark if possible. Also you said you did a CVT flush, you'll have to let me know how that went.

Yeah, there are more Fusion Hybrids out there than you think. The internet is your friend. Start with the following web sites (in order of my preference):

1) carsforsale.com
2) cars.com
3) autotrader
4) google "searchallofcraigslist" to look at everything on craigslist nationwide.

from here on, things get more expensive

4) carmax
5) enterprise.com
6) the rest of the car rental web sites, like Hertz and Budget

I've gone over 50 mpg several times this summer (If I slow down to 60 mph on my 70 RT mile highway commute to work each day). I have seen a high of 52 mpg. The only thing different on my car are the Micheline low rolling resistance tires (pumped up to 40 psi) & Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic oil.

My FIL has an '04 that he bought new. It now has 125,000 miles. Other than regular maintenance and a very occasional repair, it has been extremely reliable and he will keep the car for some time to come. It's starting to rust a bit. Mileage seems to hover in the mid-40 range each time I look at the gauge in the car (assuming it's accurate). The stereo and climate control systems seem strong, and I think he's only been through one set of brakes so far.

Having said all that, I have to say I hate riding in this car. Road noise is high on the highway, the ride is stiff, headroom in the back is lacking, and other than the novelty factor, it's has the opposite of fun driving dynamics. I'd take a TDI over this every day of the week for my personal car, though I know the reliability is not comparable to the Toyota hybrid. I rode in the back of a Camry hybrid once or twice and thought it was MUCH better than a Prius (more comfortable).

I haven't because I think I put more miles on each year than what it would be worth to lease. Also I'm not quite sure how a lease works b/c no one I know has had a lease. So I'm guessing your Aura had a lot of problems too. GM needs to get it together. A 6 yr old car should have this many issues. My 89 Pontiac Sunbird was a money pit too. I think I just have bad car luck! lol!

Lots of websites out there to explain how leasing works, but the gist of it is that you are renting the vehicle.

You get the vehicle for typically 24 or 36 months and have a monthly payment. You also have a "down payment" that you pay when you start the lease.

Since you're renting, not owning, you have certain limitations on what you can do with the car. Mileage is usually limited to 12k miles per year (so 24,000 to 36,000 miles, depending on the lease) and if you go over, you'll pay a fee at the end of the lease (usually around $0.15 to $0.20 per mile, but could be more or less). You can't paint racing stripes on it, you must remove any aftermarket mods (stereo, wheels), you must maintain the vehicle according to manufacturer's guidelines, and you can't neglect the car (i.e., no significant body damage - minor dings and scratches are OK).

At the end of the lease you bring the car back to the dealer and walk away with nothing OR you can buy the car for an amount disclosed at the beginning of the lease (usually the residual or something close to it).

Your lease payments (rental fee) is generally the difference between the value of the new car and the value of the car in 2 or 3 years. IOW, you're paying for the depreciation or use of the car. As such, some cars "lease better" than other cars because their value after 2 years is higher than other comparable vehicles.

Some cars can also lease better because the manufacturer subsidizes the cost. This is analogous to other incentives such as rebates (cash back) and low/no interest financing.

Leasing is good for people who:
Want to be in a new car every 2 or 3 years
Don't want to own a vehicle outside of its warranty period
Want a particular vehicle at a lower monthly payment compared to financing

Leasing is not good for people who:
Drive a lot of miles
Modify their vehicles
Are happy with owning the same vehicle for a long period of time
People who "drive the wheels off the car" (i.e., want equity)

Leasing is almost never the cheapest way to get a car. But neither is buying a brand new car, especially one with navigation, turbochargers, heated seats, leather trim, 19" wheels, etc.

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like leasing is not the way for me. I Want to buy a vehicle and keep it for a long time.

Yeah, leasing is generally the wrong choice.

But there are certain niche situations where it works. A good example might be for a family that temporarily needs larger transportation to move more people, so it could make sense to lease something like a Grand Caravan or a Traverse or whatever. If there was no intent to keep the larger vehicle for longer than a few years anyway, it may make more sense as opposed to buying new, or even used if you factor in the risk of repairs and the cost of maintenance that goes with a higher mileage vehicle.

If you're going to get a car and you don't foresee any reasons to ditch it in 3-4 years, buying is wiser.

My personal opinion is that the best way to judge the value of a lease is to calculate cost per mile. Thankfully with a lease it's really easy to determine cost per mile right up front. Using the Traverse example, running a lease would cost about $.26 per mile over the course of that lease. If I were to buy a brand new Traverse and sell it 48 months later there's a really strong chance that the depreciation would have cost me at least that much per mile, if not more. But if you keep it longer and the cost per mile drops to below $.26 per mile, then leasing doesn't work.

From an economic point of view, one thing that I've found is that hybrids generally are best for people who drive an average to higher than average amount of miles over the long term.

That's the key here, the math may or may not work out depends on your local gas price and how long is the commute.

I think I will be buying the car to own it, no leasing. Also was looking at the retail value for my saturn and I'm shaking my head because its extremely low. I don't see how my car could have lost almost half its value in 3 years. I have done a lot to it mechanically and cosmetically. No way I'm selling it for only 7k- that's what kbb tells me to sell it for. It looks too good to sell it for that.

BestF100, I found a few ford fusion hybrids locally and they are in the 70-90k mile range with navigation, but they still want $16-18k for them, which is above my price range unfortunately.

I found a 09 dark grey prius with all the options and it has 81k miles. They want 10.9k for it. The catch is, is that the front bumper has a large dent on the driver side and it has some scratches on the pass rear fender/tire well area- seems like its all cosmetic. Its missing a little door thing on the interior (probably wouldn't use that compartment anyway), which could be easily fixed and its missing two trim rings off of two wheels (wheels look better w/o them imo). So all of it seems to be cosmetic- semi easy fixes. I'm wondering if they'd take $8k cash for it. Or is it not worth getting a semi fixer upper?

rshaw125, Ive seen a few shops around that do restore battery cells for around that price too. Which is a great deal compared to $3-4k.

I think I will be buying the car to own it, no leasing. Also was looking at the retail value for my saturn and I'm shaking my head because its extremely low. I don't see how my car could have lost almost half its value in 3 years. I have done a lot to it mechanically and cosmetically. No way I'm selling it for only 7k- that's what kbb tells me to sell it for. It looks too good to sell it for that.

Abandoned brands have terrible resale value. Saab, Pontiac, Mercury.

American brands are also generally lower than the import favorites like Honda, Toyota, and BMW.

Private party value of my 2001 Honda CR-V is north $6,000. I was blown away when I saw that.

Wow that is insane! 6k for a 13 year old car. That's how much people are selling the Saturn aura for which is a 4-6 yr old car. Makes absolutely no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back