03 Cobra w/ 2.2 liter KB - Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up, guys? No point in me going at this alone when I can get other opinions from more oil nerds.

Got a 2.2 liter KB supercharged 03 Cobra. Came with 15W-50 Mobil1, which is what the guy was running in the engine. It's the 4.6 32v DOHC V8, in case you are wondering, and I believe even the Cobras call for 5W-20 stock.

Now, it came with that Mobil1 15W-50, and I've went down a notch to Rotella T6 5W-40. I planned on running this for a couple or 4 oil changes. But, I don't want to run too heavy, and definitely don't want to run too light. I guess really, the only thing to do is beat on it and send it in for a UOA, but what do you guys think and feel about it?

What oil would you run in a 600RWHP S/C Cobra? After the few changes with Rotella T6, I'll settle on a permanent oil choice.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
M1 0W-40, or maybe GC.

Great advice.

M1 HM 5w-30 would be a good fit if you don't see sustained race conditions - more of a daily driver type oil.

I see no reason why a 10w30 real synthetic (IV/V) wouldnt be OK if you keep the oil temps under control and dont use all that HP for more than a few seconds at a time. Oil KV is sump temp dependent. The less VII you have the better in your application.
OTC Helix Ultra 5/10w30 and if you want to try PAO base(!) AMSOIL ATM or SS or AMSOIL hot rod targeted oils. - Personnaly I would not use LL oil in an extremely high power density engine ( > 1.5 hp/cu in ).

Personally, I was leaning towards the M1 0W-40. Actually, had GC 0W-30 on my mind, because it specs for 5W-20, then I could use 0W-30 GC and have a thick 30 weight with nice start up and GC is very hard to shear. M1 0W-40 shears easy, but only down to a certain point and practically also becomes a thick 30 weight.

I will probably wind up using 0W-40 M1 as I don't see GC around here anymore.

Flareside, I'm not ignoring your advice, and without a UOA, I can't say any of these would be better than that, but it does get romped on now and then, and the extra protection for the "just in case" variable is comforting.

600HP+ ? Stay with the M1 15W-50 - you know that will work - everything else is just guessing. That's what I ran in my SBC 600HP road race car.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Does the KB blower have its own sump, or does it run with the engine oil?

KB's have their own oil sump. You can either get the oil from them or Redline 50W which is what my buddy used on his 04 Mystichrome 2.2 KB.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

KB's have their own oil sump. You can either get the oil from them or Redline 50W which is what my buddy used on his 04 Mystichrome 2.2 KB.

Is that RL 50wt racing oil or 20W-50 HTHSV 6.1cP), 15W-50 (5.8cP) or 5W-50 (5.0cP)?
Does the KB blower really require an oil that heavy?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Is that RL 50wt racing oil or 20W-50 HTHSV 6.1cP), 15W-50 (5.8cP) or 5W-50 (5.0cP)?
Does the KB blower really require an oil that heavy?

I think it was the straight 50W, it has been a long time since I worked with one so the memory is a little hazy. This was on a 2.2L KB running 18-22lbs of boost, so there was a lot going on on that engine.

I love those cars, very jealous! The whine from the KB 2.2 is just awesome. Any of the above recommendations will work fine. You said you're leaning towards M1 0w40, which I'm sure will serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back