0/20 spec really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
would 0/20 be appropriate to take this to a track with?

It's was a good discussion until you said this. Then I knew you were just trolling and that your had a dislike for thinner oils which your previous posts to this one already hinted that much.

engine wear vs. fractional increased fuel efficiency, it's a compromise but gas is $2.10 gal. I'd rather have a fresher engine at 125k.

In the real word, you'll have an impossible time proving either. If you like your oil a little thicker, no problem. But the play-on-words phrase, 'engine wear vs fractional increased fuel efficiency' isn't as veiled as you think.

Originally Posted By: deven
would 0/20 be appropriate to take this to a track with?

It's was a good discussion until you said this. Then I knew you were just trolling and that your had a dislike for thinner oils which your previous posts to this one already hinted that much.

that was an analogy.

You have two different automobiles here, one is an economical fuel efficient unit, the other a +117hp per liter hot turbo on a capable chassis that would not benefit from CAFE spec oil...a Jekll & Hyde of sorts.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Why void your warranty by running the wrong grade? It's your car, but if I was spending that kinda money on a new car I'd run what the manual says and only what the manual says until the warranty expired.

5W-20 and 0W-20 are the same at operating temperatures, and I've seen a ton of 5W-20 spec engines go well over 300k likely running off Jiffy Lube oil and filters the whole time.
Would it void the warranty? Who would prove the oil was the cause of the failure?

So let's say the OP has an engine failure. And let's say Honda says (with or without foundation ) it's an oil-related failure caused by using the wrong viscosity or wrong spec. Now what? What experts does he have have to go up against Honda's? Especially experts that will say using a HDEO is just fine.

This whole scenario may be unlikely (engine failures are really rare, dealers may not be that curious, etc.) but it could be an expensive, time-consuming and maybe futile exercise to prove Honda wrong. Why take the chance?

And if the OP insists on a different viscosity at least go with something recommended by an oil manufacturer if not Honda; like Mobil1 0w-30. That would at least give him a leg to stand on.

It does seem a little unrealistic that the dealership or OEM is going to go to great lengths to see is an oil was a 0w20 or a 5w20, or even a 5w30. The first two would take a lot more than your basic oil analysis to determine. In over 40 years I have never seen a auto/pickup dealership, or a commercial vehicle dealership ever go to such lengths. The only way they could even get the idea that someone was using a oil that was not recommended, vis wise, is if the customer opened their fat mouth and said something. One of those situations, similar to talking with police, only divulge the minimum facts on anything. Like saying only the brand name and not the viscosity if they ask, and playing dumb on all the other details.

Originally Posted By: deven
Can't believe this thread is still alive.

OP obviously doesn't like thin oil and started this thread as to nudge the thin oil people here.
28.gif
28.gif

Finally someone said it 13 fing pages it's enough

I'm sure it's not this simple...but if a DI engine is using oil and not leaking maybe a higher second number would be better. What do others think?

Saturday I dumped the FF 3,677mi. and went with the planned 5/30 drove back today 246mi. and the only thing I can report is the engine sounds nicer, I can remote start and the cold start really improved, on the road it's throaty... fuel was right there at 42 with gusty unfavorable 1/4 wind)...was a good call to move up.

Saturday I dumped the FF 3,677mi. and went with the planned 5/30 drove back today 246mi. and the only thing I can report is the engine sounds nicer, I can remote start and the cold start really improved, on the road it's throaty... fuel was right there at 42 with gusty unfavorable 1/4 wind)...was a good call to move up.

LOLOLOLOL

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as

noun
the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Are you really on here to learn? How many are? I really wonder sometimes. You folks do know there is ZERO reason any 5w30 replacing a 0w20 would make it start faster and sound throatier. It's painfully obvious to even thicker oil fans on here that these are the subjective results you wanted to have regardless.

Originally Posted By: jayg

LOLOLOLOL

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as

noun
the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Are you really on here to learn? How many are? I really wonder sometimes. You folks do know there is ZERO reason any 5w30 replacing a 0w20 would make it start faster and sound throatier. It's painfully obvious to even thicker oil fans on here that these are the subjective results you wanted to have regardless.

Faster and throatier, interesting. I have two vehicles that call for 5W20 and I'm running them on 5W30, and I can say they're quieter, as confirmed by my wife's cat like hearing, and my dog like hearing. LOL

I'm no CAFE sheeple, I've moved up two grades
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: jayg

LOLOLOLOL

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as

noun

Faster and throatier, interesting. I have two vehicles that call for 5W20 and I'm running them on 5W30, and I can say they're quieter, as confirmed by my wife's cat like hearing, and my dog like hearing. LOL

I went from a 5W-30 to a 5W-20 in my Honda Fit and it actually runs smoother and quieter now (especially on acceleration).

I’m new to these forums and have read through most of this 13 page (whew!) thread. It all seems centered around the possibility, or even benefit, of using different viscosities from the recommended 0W-20, said recommendation being from the car / engine manufacturer. All of these variations are for increased viscosities (e.g. 5W-30 or even higher). Some have claimed that their engines start, run and / or sound better, on the heavier oils. All subjective and nothing substantiated. I find it incredible, that anyone would knowingly and deliberately deviate from the clear recommendation ! Absolutely amazing !

Originally Posted By: SteveGG
I’m new to these forums and have read through most of this 13 page (whew!) thread. It all seems centered around the possibility, or even benefit, of using different viscosities from the recommended 0W-20, said recommendation being from the car / engine manufacturer. All of these variations are for increased viscosities (e.g. 5W-30 or even higher). Some have claimed that their engines start, run and / or sound better, on the heavier oils. All subjective and nothing substantiated. I find it incredible, that anyone would knowingly and deliberately deviate from the clear recommendation ! Absolutely amazing !

I always follow the requirements specified in the Owner's Manual. Don't want to have a warranty claim denied because I used the wrong (viscosity or API) oil.

Originally Posted By: SteveGG

The one and only reason 0W-20 is specced in modern cars sold in North America is fuel economy regulations,if it weren't for them they'd spec 0W-30 or 5W-30 , that is why there is so much debate.
Many cars sold in America spec 0W-20 , Meanwhile the same cars specify 30 or 40 Grades in other parts of the world.

You make several claims with nothing to back them up. The fuel savings for 0W-20 has been shown to be only 1.5%. Are you really saying that Honda would specify the wrong oil for that ?! Clearly there's less friction with 0W-20, so why isn't that better ? Where else in the world does Honda recommend a heavier oil for this exact same car ?

Of course, one could use a 5w20 in place of a 0w20 that an OEM specified with no issues unless you live in Fairbanks, Alaska in the winter. Lower NOACK and same vis at operating temps. Just a cold flow difference.

I really have little concern that I "toe the line" regarding what OEM's spec. I deviate to some degree usually. In roughly 45 years of both personal and commercial vehicle ownership, I have never seen or even heard first hand of an OEM or Dealership even questioning the oil being used let alone deny a warranty claim. Just internet folklore. I have had a few warranty issues over the years, most commercial vehicles, and the type or brand of oil wasn't even discussed. So to that end, I do not have an enlarged paranoia gland that causes me to only use exactly what an OEM specifies. They have their reasons for their recommendation, and only a portion of that reasoning has anything to do with engine performance and longevity. Remember, Gooberment has it's thumb on the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back