B50 Particle Count Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my
twocents.gif
, but the other day I visited with Engineers at Baldwin Filters at Hasting, Nebraska, and they said the B50 was a 1-2 micron filter. Even if that is nominal and absolute is around 7, hey... that ain't bad.
cheers.gif

No, not bad at all. When you get another chance, ask them about holding capacity. I haven't seen too many spec's in this regard, but a FL1A type in a typical hydraulic filter (10um nominal) has about 10gms capacity. I imagine that this can be up or down a tad (YMMV) and can surely be different for depth media of various composition.

So, Nebraskan, ..get back on the horn and find out the rest of the story.
grin.gif

Can't edit,(past time limit to edit) so...addendum
smile.gif

B 164 (longer filter) has 21.3 grams capacity with 760.2 sq.in. media of L3-130 Media Grade. The B164 is 7.13 inches length compared to the B50 at 5.38"

Errr ..that's a 12"X60" sheet of media. Is this thing a foot long and more rotund than even my girth? Even convoluted/accordion'd that would be a "stretch".

PART NUMBER: B164

Descriptions : By-Pass Lube Spin-on
Notes : Can be used with OB1305 base.
Contains : Flow Control Orifice
Fits : Carrier Refrigeration Units
Replaces : Carrier-Transicold 30-00304-00
Thread : 5/8-18
O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length : 6 5/8 (168.3)
I.Gskt : G381-A
Related to : B50, BT341 (Short Versions)

by the gross length of the can, that adds up to 9.5 feet of media shoehorned into the can's interior.

You've gotta cut one of them open when you're done. That's nearly 11 square inches of media per cubic inch of volume ..if I did the math right.

Amazing
shocked.gif

I don't have the B164 on there at the moment, I have the B50. However I think I can put a B164 in the space I have the B50. Looks so anyway when taking a look at it all under the hood. I have 2 new B50 filters on hand, but may put on a B164 sometime to see how that goes. Now that would be a honking filter compared to the lowly ST3387A that I have on there now!!
grin.gif

6.67" x 113.98" = 760.2466 sq. inches, pretty close to the 760.2 that is in the Filter Specifications I got from Baldwin for the B164 (same as the Hastings LF334).

Where did I get the numbers of 6.67" etc? I see that the length of the B165 is at 7.13", so I just back specualated on the actual width that the media "might" be and used calculations to come up with the near length that would be close to 760.2 sq in .

Last edited:
(imagine fast speaking announcer reading perfunctory disclaimer)

blalbalblabla 19 city 24 highway ...your mileage may vary ..professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt this at home.

It will be interesting to see what their numbers look like. I have the B50 on one of my trucks and a Wix 51050 which I will use when i change out the B50 in a couple of years from now.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I just submitted an email to Clarcor (Baldwin/Hastings) asking for more tech details on these filters.

Sandra Huckfetdt at CLARCOR/Parker-Hannifin filtration (Hastings/Baldwin) states the B50 and B164 are 2 micron nominal, and 15 micron absolute.

Not bad for a $7:00-$8.00 dollar filter that is easy to find. Thank you for the research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back