Would you buy a new 06 Pontiac GTO LS2 for 25K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of True Delta? He's trying to gather reliability information in a way that eliminates the problems with JD Power and CR:

http://www.truedelta.com

I enrolled my 2006 Saab 93 in his panel. He needs 25 of each model/year before he can start collecting reliability data.

Just sent my report for the 2006 Saab 93 a couple of weeks ago. I had no problems to report. (And why didn't I get a JD Power survey?)

The elitism and arrogance coming from the left coast posters is stomach-churning.

Whatever happened to discussing what a great deal the GTO is for $25K?

I owned a `94 Z28 that was relatively reliable but that is only one part of making the car...the Japanese have had that down for decades. Unlike what some people on here think, there is much more that defines a vehicle than straight line power. It's not very expensive or hard to make an object move from one point to another quickly...however it takes much more R&D to make the car capable and safe in all sorts of situations and roads.

Some companies have the reliability, resale and driving manners down and it's shown in their healthy profits and strong resale...others are still stuck in the past re-using old designs and ideas and that is also demonstrated in their profits and resale value. Why support a company that in the past decades has not cared about its consumer at all and just tried to advertise more when they had a poor vehicle on their lineup?

I would not buy a fwd car regardless of manufacturer. That's my personal preference. I will accept a horizontally mounted engine for AWD but that is as far as I will go.

If GM had given the car a proper drivetrain configuration and suspension to utilize the potential power they would have had something.

"You bought three of the same "overwieght, underpowered, fragile, and ridiculously expensive to fix" cars?"
Actually the first 2 were 1984s -- very nice cars, reliable, fun to drive, expensive to fix. alternator, starter,rear diff, and three timing belts. not fast but handled nice. The 1st got totalled when I got hit head on b a drunk in a 4 runner. The second rotted away so bad you could reach into the hatch without opening it. Sold it for 500 bucks still purring like a kitten. BMw had nothing on toyotas straight 6. The 90 was a different beast alltogether. 4000lbs ,turbo lag, 15 mpg avg but it looked cool and chicks dug it. Also had a MR2 and a 240 sx for a while. Both 4 bangers I drove like 2 strokes--- Throttle on full or off. All of these were over 3k rpms on the hwy vs the v8 car loafing along at 1300 rpms and getting similar mileage with less noise greater comfort. I am an enthusiast life is too short to drive lame cars.

quote "I was burned and it's not OK for me to NOT buy an American car, but you get burned by Toyota and it's plenty OK for you to NOT buy Toyota?
How many Toyotas have you bought since 2000?"

Buy whatever you like. I prefer to support American workers both at GM and Ford as well as Delphi, Dana, Borg Warner American axle etc and buy a Superior product.

Where I work everyone drives honda or toyota transportation appliances. They break just like every other machine.

Quote:

I owned a `94 Z28 that was relatively reliable but that is only one part of making the car...the Japanese have had that down for decades. Unlike what some people on here think, there is much more that defines a vehicle than straight line power. It's not very expensive or hard to make an object move from one point to another quickly...however it takes much more R&D to make the car capable and safe in all sorts of situations and roads.

Some companies have the reliability, resale and driving manners down and it's shown in their healthy profits and strong resale...others are still stuck in the past re-using old designs and ideas and that is also demonstrated in their profits and resale value. Why support a company that in the past decades has not cared about its consumer at all and just tried to advertise more when they had a poor vehicle on their lineup?

The real question is this: what difference does it make to YOU what other people drive?

So what if you had a domestic car at one point and didn't like it. So what if you prefer foreign made vehicles. I don't care and I cannot imagine anyone else caring either. Buy and drive whatever you want.

But you and SCOTTB have turned a simple discussion into a personal aggrandizement campaign. Both of you have intentionally insulted and demeaned BITOG members based solely on where they live or what brand of car they drive. These types of continued attacks are uncalled for.

You don't have to like people who live in the South or who drive domestic brand vehicles, but you'd be wise to show a little more respect to forum members who may not share your perspective.

Can we get back to the topic of cheap GTO's, please?

Quote:

I would not buy a fwd car regardless of manufacturer. That's my personal preference. I will accept a horizontally mounted engine for AWD but that is as far as I will go.

If GM had given the car a proper drivetrain configuration and suspension to utilize the potential power they would have had something.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
Do you think the GTO / Monaro is a FWD car?

I don't care what you drive, I'm only expressing my opinion of the US car companies and I found it absurd that people were called "ricers" for buying a Japanese sports car. I don't even really care for Japanese cars myself other than a few here and there but I came in this thread originally when I noticed name calling for owners of certain Japanese cars.

Quote:

Quote:

Dang, another bash GM thread.

Yes, it always comes to that. The bashers seem to be completely intolerant of the idea that anyone can be satisfied with a GM product or that one could offer a good (in this case, exceptional) value.

Some of the criticism is so predictable that it often makes me contemplate if there is a pecuniary interest involved.

The signal to noise ratio on this board gets worse by the day.

Ain't it the truth?!!
frown.gif
IF they don't have an agenda (work for "Japan, Inc.", etc.), then they sure do seem obsessed with making sure they get their BASH in on every thread they can, even if it has NO relevance to the thread.
dunno.gif

BTW; I already contacted the mods/owners/directors of this site and informed them of this problem. As I tried to explain to them I came on here to get info/discuss automotive OIL AND LUBRICATION topics, NOT to be dissed, slammed, bashed, for my choice of vehicle, and be told the experiences I've had arenot/cannot be real.
I suggested that all of this S*** be put under the same rules as the NO politics/religion/sex heading, since it seems to inspire even MORE ill will/animosity than those volatile topics ever could. There are PLENTY of import fanboy sites out there where they can go and bash away at anything domestic (or even American, if they so please)all day and night long. It does NOT have to go on here!!!
We will see if anything is ever done.

I admit I have not looked. It appears it is a RWD (what vehicle has the nice engine in the FWD format then?).

Anyhow it appears to be a good value platform now that I see it's a RWD configuration so if someone wants to track it they can at least have a chance of tuning the suspension to hook up.

The challenge to GM is obvious. I would have never looked at the website and I would continue to assume it was a v8 shoehorned into a grand am.
JMHO.
dunno.gif

Quote:

As for that corvette wave... I think 1 in every 30th car I see on the road is a corvette. I've seen more than I have the fit, versa, yaris and aveo combined. However, I've rarely seen vettes that look as nice as yours patman, most are in dire need of a carwash, when I see one waxed and polished, I admire it. Only in NJ would you see a $50,000 sports car being driven when theres snow/salt on the ground

You probably wouldn't be too happy if you saw my Corvette right now then, as it's very dirty and covered in salt. It's my daily driver, so it sees everything the winter throws at us. I do get it handwashed every Saturday morning though, and if it's not too cold during the week, I'll take it to one of those coin wash places to clean off the salt. I do love the car a lot, but am not one of those typical Corvette owners who are afraid to expose it to the elements.

Quote:

I don't care what you drive, I'm only expressing my opinion of the US car companies and I found it absurd that people were called "ricers" for buying a Japanese sports car. I don't even really care for Japanese cars myself other than a few here and there but I came in this thread originally when I noticed name calling for owners of certain Japanese cars.

Then why insert yourself into the conversation at all? It doesn't sound like you have much interest in the topic.

It's comments like this that create more problems than they solve:

Quote:

So if someone buys a Japanese car they are a considered a ricer? I'm definitley not suprised to see those comments coming from the south...I cannot imagine how many ignorant people there must be living out there.

When others were describing Asian cars and their owners, it had nothing to do with you. But that didn't stop you from directly insulting those people, did it? You are the one that made the attacks personal, not them. I own a Japanese car and their comments didn't bother me. They shouldn't have bothered you. If you have an issue with a post or comment, take it up with the moderators.

Quote:

Quote:

Then why insert yourself into the conversation at all? It doesn't sound like you have much interest in the topic.

Quote:

So if someone buys a Japanese car they are a considered a ricer? I'm definitley not suprised to see those comments coming from the south...I cannot imagine how many ignorant people there must be living out there.

When others were describing Asian cars and their owners, it had nothing to do with you. But that didn't stop you from directly insulting those people, did it? You are the one that made the attacks personal, not them. I own a Japanese car and their comments didn't bother me. They shouldn't have bothered you. If you have an issue with a post or comment, take it up with the moderators.

Ok sorry for the southern comment, it was tongue in cheek. Though I find it unnecessary to make fun of and call someone's car a "turd" just because it doesn't have a V8 in it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like there is just as much "Japan-bashing" as the other here.
You don't seem to be defending other's rights to post.
If you're going to discuss a car, it's highly likely that people will give negative and postive opinions.

I am a lurker, but that's my opinion.
There's also a lot of bashing of "Left-coasters" etc.
Is that too OK?
At least be consistant.

Quote:

I admit I have not looked. It appears it is a RWD (what vehicle has the nice engine in the FWD format then?).

You might be thinking of the Chevy Impala SS which has FWD and a 5.3L LS4 small block V8 engine.

Quote:

Looks like there is just as much "Japan-bashing" as the other here.
You don't seem to be defending other's rights to post.
If you're going to discuss a car, it's highly likely that people will give negative and postive opinions.

I am a lurker, but that's my opinion.
There's also a lot of bashing of "Left-coasters" etc.
Is that too OK?
At least be consistant.

The consistency of this thread was violated long before my "left coast" comment. I'm not here to be the Thread Police but when I see a comment from someone who has a nabit of insulting people based on where they live or what kind of car they drive, I'm going to speak up.

If the topic stayed on course, you would not have joined today just to take me to task. The BITOG admins and mods determine who has the "right to post", not me.

Discussing the merits of a particular car is one thing. Telling people to "go back to Mayberry RFD" and dishing out other personal insults is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back