For you 7th gen Civic guys...oil capacity question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much oil do you guys use? The manual says something like 3.5qts but I have read that some use 4qts. I just changed my oil and used 3.75 qts with 4oz. of L.C. I just don't want to overfill it. On the dipstick it does read over full a bit. For you guys that run 4 qts...where does it read on your stick?

BTW, I have a '05 Civic LX 5-speed.... (1.7L)

thanks,
Paul

on my '03 ex which requires 3.7l i only put in 3.5 quarts and that brings it exactly to the top hole on the dipstick. as long as your under 4qt's, youll be fine.

Most of the Honda web pages list 3.7 and check after filter fills. sxg6 has it perfect.
smile.gif

I have an '03 Civic EX with 1.7L engine. I agree with your thought about not overfilling it, so I install 3.7 qts with filter change.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

My wife's got a 6th gen Civic (2000) and I put in as much as 4.4 quarts of oil, even though the manual calls for only about 3.6 (or is it 3.8?)

JRHawk,
I use 3.9/4.0 Qts on my '03 Honda Civic EX w/1.7 vtec, which includes 4 oz's of LC at initial oil change. I typically use Baldwin B1431 Oil Filter which is about an inch longer than the OEM sized filter...however, I'm currently using a Napa Gold 1344 oversized filter during a 15K mile OCI experiment that I'm getting Terry's assistance on. The oil level on the stick is right at the full mark...if not just barely above the full mark (now I'm starting to split hairs
confused.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by GreenElixer:
JRHawk,
I use 3.9/4.0 Qts on my '03 Honda Civic EX w/1.7 vtec, which includes 4 oz's of LC at initial oil change. I typically use Baldwin B1431 Oil Filter which is about an inch longer than the OEM sized filter...however, I'm currently using a Napa Gold 1344 oversized filter during a 15K mile OCI experiment that I'm getting Terry's assistance on. The oil level on the stick is right at the full mark...if not just barely above the full mark (now I'm starting to split hairs
confused.gif
)

with 3.75 qts of oil and 4oz L.C. my dipstick reads about 1/4" over the fill hole with the normal sized oil filter.

That Napa Gold filter seems to XREF to a Baldwin B161-S, why not run this Baldwin filter, as it seems like it's bigger yet. It does have a 20psi bypass valve compared to the 14psi one on the B1431.

Paul

JHawk,
I have definitely considered the B161-S Baldwin Filter. I just haven't thought about buying it yet. I've got 4 B1431's left, plus 1 Napa Gold 1344 and 1 Napa Gold 1356 (OEM spec size) filters left to use up...plus the NG 1344 that I just put on the car at this oil change. So, that says I've got about 30 to 40k miles left or more before I think about buying filters again. Good call, though on the B161's...it looks like an awesome filter!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back