You might be Canadian if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pitzel
Do they have homo milk in the USA?

Yes, they call it "Whole" milk. Guess someone was H-O-M-O-phobic rofl.

almost all milk is "homogenized" it could refer to all the grades but is generally used to refer to "whole" milk or 3.25% milkfat.

just like we have Frijoles negros if you are trying to find words that sorta sound "bad" in food.

or Spotted D.i.c.k. pudding.
[Linked Image]

but generally I wouldnt refer to it as homo milk as it might theoretically upset someone.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Yes it's for milk bags. Although now it is possible to get it in jugs in some places and always have been able to get it in the two size cartons. Most still buy it in the 3x 1L bags.

Imperial Oil, sold Motor oil in plastic bags same as the milk bags back in the early 70's Anyone remember that?

Did not go over too well

Originally Posted by mcwilly
To be fair, I never saw one of these in Western Canada, it was not until I visited family in the East I saw one of these abominations.

What kind of psychopath decided to store milk in a baggie?

That's because Eastern Canada is the center of the country. Example: Ottawa
lol.gif

As for the milk in a bag it has been around a while, I grew up in the 1980's and we had it then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1

Yes, they call it "Whole" milk. Guess someone was H-O-M-O-phobic rofl.

Here most refer to the milk they want by: Skim (white coloured water), 1% (fat), 2% (fat), Homo (Homogenized) milk which is "Whole Milk" or 3% (fat), 1/2 & 1/2 which is 1/2 cream and 1/2 milk (Usually for coffee or some recipes), or cream which is 18% (fat) usually coffee or recipes.

Last edited:
mcwilly said:
To be fair, I never saw one of these in Western Canada, it was not until I visited family in the East I saw one of these abominations.

What kind of psychopath decided to store milk in a baggie?

That's because Eastern Canada is the center of the country. Example: Ottawa
lol.gif

==================================================================
I like right of center - that is the center of some huge lobsters that I will never forget
wink.gif

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I have never seen milk in bags out here
21.gif
... but I like the idea. The jugs are a nuisance to recycle.

Recycling....silly Canadians.

down here, it seems most areas go out of their way to make it difficult to recycle.

we live about 2 miles outside of town. in town, there is Compulsory curbside recycling. same day as trash pickup, they even give you a separate tote for recyclables and it's a part of your water/sewer bill.

out here, with the same hauler the village uses, mind you. we can't even get recycling as an optional service.
and we're in the wrong township for the local monthly drop off recycling locations (requiring proof of residency)..
it's a racket I Tells ya!

Last edited:
In South Western Ontario not only do we have recycling but we also have organic waste in a separate bin. So typically what would go through a Garburator. In the city I'm in they will actually fine you under the bylaw if they don't see the Organic bin put out with garbage at least once a month (assuming it has been put in the garbage instead). We have a few lazy folks on the street that refuse to do this or recycle. We also have a 1 trash-bag limit without special tags. There are exceptions a few times a year like Christmas etc. You can also purchase more tags if needed but in our city you get some each year to use if you need them.

Last edited:
In South Western Ontario not only do we have recycling but we also have organic waste in a separate bin. So typically what would go through a Garburator. In the city I'm in they will actually fine you under the bylaw if they don't see the Organic bin put out with garbage at least once a month (assuming it has been put in the garbage instead). We have a few lazy folks on the street that refuse to do this or recycle. We also have a 1 trash-bag limit without special tags. There are exceptions a few times a year like Christmas etc. You can also purchase more tags if needed but in our city you get some each year to use if you need them.

yeah, I saw that system when i visited Guelph last summer.. it honestly makes a heck of a lot of sense.
(granted, we were in the city there, not sure if "country" folks have the same setup...)

We have a family cottage and it doesn't seem to be a requirement in the town up north so I'm guessing no.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
We had them in Sask until the late 80's or early 90's

Yes. We stopped getting them at home when the milk man retired. As for the recycling comments, I think the recycling deposit on milk jugs at 1 L or above is around $0.25, so there's incentive to recycle.

1 trash bag limit GEEEEEEEZZZZZZ. In Oshawa we have a 4 bag limit every second week they collect trash. Usually I only have 1 bag of trash everything else is in the green and blue bins.

Yeah the funny part is we have apartments at the end of the street and they have no limit so technically I could just walk an extra bag over there. Not that I need to, I never have that much garbage. Always a ton of Recycle and Organic though.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Most still buy it in the 3x 1L bags.

Most buy 4L in 3x1.33L bags

Yeah I addressed that above.

"You might be Canadian if..."

...if you know what a liter is.

(you also might be Canadian if you think I spelled liter/litre wrong.)

Originally Posted by DejaVue

"You might be Canadian if..."

...if you know what a liter is.

(you also might be Canadian if you think I spelled liter/litre wrong.)

Actually both are correct.... Liter / Litre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back