Colt C-19 for Canadian Arctic Rangers

They had to wait a long time to get their Lee Enfield 303’s replaced but the Canadian Rangers in the Arctic now have Colt C-19 .308 rifles with a ten shot clip. These folks are typically Inuit hunters who are the eyes and ears for the Canadian military along northern Canada. One requirement for the rifle is that it had to be able to drop a polar bear. No Russkie subs better surface anywhere near shore. Enjoy.

EF658B3D-3B60-46E4-AF03-A457A75E478B.png
0C280508-5970-4E44-9E95-C61FC1D533C8.jpeg

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know the selection process, how many different rifles were considered. One of the features of a scout rifle has been a forward rail mounted long eye relief scope that this rifle lacks. And a box magazine for fast reloads.

What does "single bolt" refer to? I'd assume its not talking about locking lug(s).
is there any other kind of bolt action?
For a sec I thought they were talking about "single SHOT" but with a 10 round "Mag" that is clearly wrong.

but I’m not sure .308 meets the “drop a polar bear” requirement from the post.
That was the second thing that stood out to me.
Of course a 45-70 would make no sense the bullet drop(trajectory) is absurd compared to a .308 etc.
maybe .338 winchester magnum??
.338 lapua (wait those are 6$ a round)

Last edited:
Nice rifle, and the stock makes sense for the climate, but I’m not sure .308 meets the “drop a polar bear” requirement from the post.

Great all around cartridge, but Polar Bear?
Not sure but I believe the rational is that these guys carry only one rifle and travel light. They do subsistence hunting, mostly caribou and need a weapon effective for defence against polar bears. Here are a few excerpts from Wiki. Certainly if this was a guided Polar Bear hunt they would be using a 30-06 and up.

A552ACCC-E45A-4417-8B07-186AE17119D6.jpeg
74A38B49-F7C6-4707-82F3-E63BC2523E31.jpeg

It would be interesting to know the selection process, how many different rifles were considered. One of the features of a scout rifle has been a forward rail mounted long eye relief scope that this rifle lacks. And a box magazine for fast reloads.
Not sure about the scope, and I’m guilty as charged on the clip issue, but does this answer your question about the box magazine thingy? :D

C41B7C30-5141-4E2A-873D-3FF1378A3B63.jpeg

Ugly stocks

Looks like a Boyds stock to me. They have some nice ones, but a lot of them are either a love it or hate it thing.. I've got a sky laminate on a Remington 700 (blue/grey) and I honestly still have days where I really like it, and others where I wish I'd just let the factory stock on it..

Mine looks similar to this:

I'd imagine they are limited to military calibers... and a 308 Win ( aka 762 Nato) is a military caliber..
I'm sure it would work on a polar bear even though it isn't ideal. :)

Lets not get too picky.. next thing you know someone will resurrect the "wheel gun" debate.
What's a "wheel gun"? I was a NJ State cop for years, I don't believe I've ever seen one. Revolvers, pistols, rifles snd shotguns...perhaps a Derringer here and there...but wheel gun?

What's a "wheel gun"? I was a NJ State cop for years, I don't believe I've ever seen one. Revolvers, pistols, rifles snd shotguns...perhaps a Derringer here and there...but wheel gun?

Did we not already answer this for you in a prior thread? A "wheel gun" is a revolver, not to be confused with a "rail gun" which is not to be confused with a "Colt Rail Gun".

So is this thing a Colt or a Tikka.... goes off to investigate....

Back