Colt C-19 for Canadian Arctic Rangers

Everyone has there opinion but mine is far from this.
While on paper they have similar specs. The reality is the Tikka T3 is a far superior rifle in almost every way. The exception being sight radius but with the ability to easily mount a optic this will have the Tikka come out on top for most users.

Contrary to whats been posted parts and armourer logistics are MAJOR factors in why these rifles are being replaced along with the fact their old rifles where very clapped out.

As someone that has owned half a dozen of both T3 and LE's I can say without a doubt the new rifles are a big upgrade and one that was well needed.
I agree with the logistics of repair 100%. I do not understand the bolt gun thing however. A Kalashnikov would work very well in that climate and use \ abuse. I suppose it would not look as classic though. Just saying, there are better options, and cheaper aswell.
1698790145593.jpeg

perhaps something like this.

I agree with the logistics of repair 100%. I do not understand the bolt gun thing however. A Kalashnikov would work very well in that climate and use \ abuse. I suppose it would not look as classic though. Just saying, there are better options, and cheaper aswell.
View attachment 186139

perhaps something like this.
No NATO country (except for former Warsaw pact countries) is going to field an AK variant. They also lack the accuracy to double as a decent big game rifle. I know they get used for that in the Russian sphere but they are far from ideal. The junky scope mounting options are also a big strike against them.

No NATO country
Israel
South Africa
Switzerland
Finland (nato)
Greece (nato)
United States (nato)

just to name a few, maybe not all NATO, but under the umbrella of NATO
lack the accuracy
The example I put was in 308 win, in my experience 9 out of 10 will be 1.5 MOA guns out of the box with Nato weight ammo, I own 2.
junky scope mounting options
There is no limit to the options, and typically one can witness the iron sights aswell as scope. Seems it would be great waiting for your scope to acclimate from a quick exit from a warm tent into arctic air to fight a polar bear

if they were going to set up a line to build a licensed rifle i think id rather have a new Enfield than that thing... not a big fan of bright stocks... gimme walnut...

Anyway, the bolt action requirement is due to Canadian gun laws or reliability concerns or both...?

if they were going to set up a line to build a licensed rifle i think id rather have a new Enfield than that thing... not a big fan of bright stocks... gimme walnut...

Anyway, the bolt action requirement is due to Canadian gun laws or reliability concerns or both...?
The manufacturer had to be located in Canada. Colt was already set up in Quebec ( sort of part of Canada). The bolt action was a requirement in the bid, over concerns on operation in -40 temps. Gun law discussions are taboo on Bitog, so I’m going to avoid that one. :cool:

Last edited:

The stated reason for a bolt was the reliability in -40C.

Since these guys are a branch of the military, I wouldn't think gun regulations are much of concern.

Of note, the Danish went with a bolt gun, still do have a bolt gun, for similar situations. I've spent some time in that temperature. Things that work, even below freezing, mysteriously stop working in extreme cold. I think a bolt makes sense.

Also of note, the Danish rifle dates to 1917. It is older than the .303 in question and yet, still in service.

Don't see many 20" barrels anymore. I would have thought they would have gone at least 24, 20 is for stalking in brush.

Reliability, there's nothing stopping them from using a semi, as others have pointed out. An AR-10 in .308 would have been an option I assume, if semi's were on the table.

Israel
South Africa
Switzerland
Finland (nato)
Greece (nato)
United States (nato)

just to name a few, maybe not all NATO, but under the umbrella of NATO

The example I put was in 308 win, in my experience 9 out of 10 will be 1.5 MOA guns out of the box with Nato weight ammo, I own 2.

There is no limit to the options, and typically one can witness the iron sights aswell as scope. Seems it would be great waiting for your scope to acclimate from a quick exit from a warm tent into arctic air to fight a polar bear
All side mount or top cover mount optics are "junky" in my opinion. The first doesn't allow the optic to mount over the bore like all mounts should. Both have increased trouble in maintaining zero with the top cover options being worse.

As for accuracy, I've never personally fired a comm-block weapon that approached minute of angle -- not even close, though the quality of the ammunition doesn't help.

I think people use a AR platform for hunting mostly to prove it can be done, not that its better or more useful in the end.
absolutely nothing wrong with a bolt action rifle either.. especially if you aren't planning on being in a high capacity shootout.
reliable, rugged, and that laminated stock is as good as composite in the field.

All side mount or top cover mount optics are "junky" in my opinion. The first doesn't allow the optic to mount over the bore like all mounts should. Both have increased trouble in maintaining zero with the top cover options being worse.

As for accuracy, I've never personally fired a comm-block weapon that approached minute of angle -- not even close, though the quality of the ammunition doesn't help.
the Soviets weren't trying for a minute of angle, where they? :)
they were trying for volume of fire at a degree of angle. :)

sort of like the original German philosophy that brought out these short rifle cartridges in auto loading rifles as in the STG 44.
What did the Germans call it... the 8mm Kurz, Kurz being German for short.

the Soviets weren't trying for a minute of angle, where they? :)
they were trying for volume of fire at a degree of angle. :)

sort of like the original German philosophy that brought out these short rifle cartridges in auto loading rifles as in the STG 44.
What did the Germans call it... the 8mm Kurz, Kurz being German for short.
Indeed, the SKS is like minute of barn door, lol.

Reliability, there's nothing stopping them from using a semi, as others have pointed out. An AR-10 in .308 would have been an option I assume, if semi's were on the table.

they could have just grabbed some M14's and called it a day, if that was the case.. or M1A Springfield's as they are labelled nowadays.

yeah, I have a nice Russian SKS. complete with folding bayonet.
I actually enjoy the thing.. clunky as it is, it is a pretty bad ass gun, given it's limitations.
They are fun, and VERY popular in Canada, because you could buy them for like $150.00 at one point. Now of course they are no longer that cheap. The 7.62x39 ammo is also ridiculously cheap, you could get the Chinese surplus stuff that went bang, but every bang was a little different, lol.

They are fun, and VERY popular in Canada, because you could buy them for like $150.00 at one point. Now of course they are no longer that cheap. The 7.62x39 ammo is also ridiculously cheap, you could get the Chinese surplus stuff that went bang, but every bang was a little different, lol.

yeah. in the USA you could get a Chicom SKS for $69 dollars before Bush Sr banned the importation..
I have a chicom and russian made version of both.
I have this rather deluxe Russian made SKS, ( deluxe compared to the Chinese version)
bought it brand new at Woolworths.. bet you never been in a Woolworths that sold firearms..
had to add the rubber buttplate extension for a better fit.
the sights are garbage but it is what it is but the folding bayonet is a work of mechanical art....

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG

Yeah, every one I've used has had the bayonet. Some of them have been a real mix of parts, kind of like the post-war Enfields.

Have you seen the Bubba stock meme for the SKS?

Yeah, every one I've used has had the bayonet. Some of them have been a real mix of parts, kind of like the post-war Enfields.

Have you seen the Bubba stock meme for the SKS?

probably... they used to sell all sort of stuff for these guns. but fact of the matter is why would you invest 500 dollars in one?
In my case other than the buttstock extension, that rifle is as provided to the Russian military.
I still have the hammer and sickle box it came in..

like one of my friends was going to buy a Mosin Nagant, but then he was going to custom stock it, installa scope etc..
and I said you will still have a worse rifle that cost more money than if you went out an purchased a scoped Ruger American or a Mossberg Patriot or equivalent.

In their eyes its much better than composite .. as composite doesn't like -40c apparently.
a few years back I kicked myself in the butt for not buying a Marlin 336 with the laminated stock.. it had the hooped lever too.
Walmart had the thing on clearance, it wasn't 400 bucks.. then Marlin went out of business.

Back