$150 snowblower score!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this bad boy from a co-worker. He was given it by his neighbor not running. Apparently the governor was screwed up, I have no idea. It looks like it's got maybe 2 seasons on it. I'm going to change the oil, but that's about it.

It's a Craftsman 9hp with a Tecumseh engine. 29" path. 6 foward and 2 reverse gears. This thing is going to be perfect for my place. I have a 90 degree turn from my alley up a STEEP apron into my garage and it's a bear to shovel.

I'm going to be out all day using this thing, and I hate snow!

IMG_20181004_105543.jpg

They sure beat shoveling. Get ready for snow. I would get a spare belt and some shear pins just 'cuz. Better you than me. You must NOT muscle this beast. You will ache in every joint and muscle the day after if you do. My first time, I drove my 28" Ariens about 15 ' straight into a sopping wet Sunday Globe.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
They sure beat shoveling. Get ready for snow. I would get a spare belt and some shear pins just 'cuz. Better you than me. You must NOT muscle this beast. You will ache in every joint and muscle the day after if you do. My first time, I drove my 28" Ariens about 15 ' straight into a sopping wet Sunday Globe.
grin2.gif

That's a good idea, thanks!

I won't be muscling this thing around, that's for sure. It's not unweildy by any means but it sure is heavy. I like that it's got "power" steering so you just hit a trigger to (I assume) pivot on one wheel. I'll probably end up doing most of my alley entrance, I'm the first house and I hate getting stuck on the way to my garage. Plus it will be great at the end of the alley when the big plows go by.

Originally Posted by dave123
Single or it have a dual auger belt.

According to the parts diagram, it's one belt. At least the best I can tell.

Also, for those curious, the model # is 247.88790. Looks like it would have been over a $1k machine in 2005, given the features and engine combo. Most of the 29" models I see now are like 208cc, this one is something like 314cc. It should have LOTS of power, I love it!

Last edited:
Looks super clean for being ~14yrs/old. It's a rebadged MTD. Hopefully it's a single shaft Tecumseh in the event you have to re-power the beast. I know my ~2000 model year MTD machine has a twin shaft Tecumseh on it.

Nice. Ditto on shear bolts and belts. Won't hurt to have spares on the shelf. Check the shoes (skids?), I picked up some plastic ones to try out.

Nice buy. Those Tecumseh sure are loud. I have an older (1999) Craftsman with the 11hp version. Back then, Craftsmans were painted dark green.

Originally Posted by supton
Nice. Ditto on shear bolts and belts. Won't hurt to have spares on the shelf. Check the shoes (skids?), I picked up some plastic ones to try out.

Yes, good call(s).

Check the scraper blade too if you haven't. That will wear down if the skid shoes are set too low.

I have the 8HP MTD which is just a little smaller. I have never had to replace the belt and I purchased mine used back in 2004 and it still works great. I have put about 3 scrapers on it as well as 3 pairs of shoes. I finally had a crack in the bottom center of the bucket and had it welded last year. The welder told me if it cracked again he wouldn't be able to fix it. I have used my snowblower a lot through the years and for an inexpensive unit it has lasted a long, long time. I would buy a new one but I don't even think I could get $100 for it therefore I am going the bucket out and see how long it will last. The engine is like new and starts first pull and I have never had to take it in for a tune up or adjustments.

I would hold off on belt until you need one unless they look ragged. On many machines you need to break the machine in half to change a belt. That is not something you will be doing in the middle of a snow storm if a belt breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back