Reasonable way to see active threads I've posted in previously?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a userCP, somewhere to see threads I participated in that are active. I feel kind of stupid always going to my posts and looking to see what's happened since then.

That's a good way to see my posts, but all in all, pretty useless. Say someone quoted a post of mine from a couple months ago asking for a follow up. How am I to know? This is the only car forum I've used that doesn't address this need. The current format is not conducive to promoting conversation.

If you want to ask an individual poster, use a private message. Click on their name and select "Send Private Message". Not that hard. You can also have an email sent to you when you receive a private message (if, for example, you stay logged out for long periods of time but want to remain available) but you have to select it as an option in "Preferences".

I go through this all the time. Certain threads here, (both with the old and the new format), will send me E-Mail notices that there has been activity. Most don't. Even the one's I start. So what I do now, is go to the upper right hand corner of the page, and click on your name, and then click on your post number. All the threads you have posted in will show up. You then have to hunt down the one that you want to check for activity on. It's a PITA, but's it's the only way.

I've complained about this several times. But they are unwilling, or else can't seem to fix it so you get E-Mail notification of every thread you post in. Like you, this is the only forum I've ever participated in that operates like this.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
That's a good way to see my posts, but all in all, pretty useless. Say someone quoted a post of mine from a couple months ago asking for a follow up. How am I to know? This is the only car forum I've used that doesn't address this need. The current format is not conducive to promoting conversation.

The other thing people do is click the last reply to the topic instead of the post they're actually responding to. If you want to follow an entire thread for this site, you have to DIY

This my next question is to site owner(s). Why not fix this issue? Especially during a large update?

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
This my next question is to site owner(s). Why not fix this issue? Especially during a large update?

Our forum software doesn't support this feature. It might be possible to hire a consultant to add the code to support this, but it's expensive and the next time you have to add all the modifications you've paid for in the past to the next update of the software, it's also expensive.

Originally Posted by wwillson
Our forum software doesn't support this feature.

UBB doesn't support "subscribed" threads ? That's what just about every other forum s/w calls this feature.

There is a followed thread thing, and you can choose to follow a thread to which you post on, when using the full screen editor. I haven't experimented with it, however, other than to notice that a full screen reply defaults (for me) to checking off "Add this thread to my Followed Threads" which puts another special checkmark beside it in the thread list. I haven't played with the "Followed Lists" item under the pull down menu at my user name. So, there's something there, but how it works, I cannot say.

Originally Posted by Garak
There is a followed thread thing, and you can choose to follow a thread to which you post on, when using the full screen editor. I haven't experimented with it, however, other than to notice that a full screen reply defaults (for me) to checking off "Add this thread to my Followed Threads" which puts another special checkmark beside it in the thread list. I haven't played with the "Followed Lists" item under the pull down menu at my user name. So, there's something there, but how it works, I cannot say.

Yeah, but that is not the same as what the OP is asking. The "followed threads" list doesn't show which thread had any new activity in it.

This is in fact kind of standard/expected functionality of most forums that I've seen, and it is very useful, but I guess the UBB version BITOG is on doesn't include it.

Oh, well, was worth a shot. I can see its value particularly with dated threads, but anything in the subforums I frequent that has been updated, I give at least a skim anyhow, but that's certainly not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back