Valvoline keep sodium for Gen2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just picked up 5 of these beauties for $19.88, which for us canucks is an outstanding deal!
08.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: PimTac
The best way to find out is analysis.

Valvoline may still be using sodium according to Mark the V tech but the question of moly and boron still exists. I assume the two can be used in the same formulation. Also the level of sodium would be important.

Sodium is cheaper than Moly I learned; why Valvoline stopped using it

If this is true, well it doesn't translate into a lower cost for the customer. So then why would anyone buy it? If I had to make a final choice between the two, I would definitely choose those brands of motor oil that contain moly and boron over the ones that have sodium with no moly or boron.

Great deal on the Valvoline especially for Canada. That bottle is not the new jug design but has the gen2 certificate. Also says Synpower.

Amateur. I grabbed 13 jugs yesterday.

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy

Just picked up 5 of these beauties for $19.88, which for us canucks is an outstanding deal!
08.gif

Gang: I have a “new style jug” of Synpower 5w20 for next OCI in the 09’ Camry. It is NOT Dexos Gen2 approved
frown.gif

Thought I’d share
smile.gif

The plot thickens. That jugs says Advanced Synthetic and not Synpower. I’m surprised it doesn’t have the gen2 cert.

The plot thickens. That jugs says Advanced Synthetic and not Synpower. I’m surprised it doesn’t have the gen2 cert.

Got this at Wal Mart and no “old style” jugs anywhere in my wal Marts(3 within a 20 mile radius)

Got this at Wal Mart and no “old style” jugs anywhere in my wal Marts(3 within a 20 mile radius)

I’ll check out the local Wally’s this week.

I could well be wrong here but I bet the 50% more wear protection is due to the full synthetic lasting 50% longer... I wonder if that is the defining of the wording "more".

I’ll check out the local Wally’s this week.

Thank You PimTac

All the newer container packaged Valvoline in the WMart near me are dexos1 Gen2 approved. Maybe the one car51 bought is old batch in new bottles.

Originally Posted By: wemay
All the newer container packaged Valvoline in the WMart near me are dexos1 Gen2 approved. Maybe the one car51 bought is old batch in new bottles.

Wemay: I was wondering this too. The newer Maxlife “advanced Synthetic” 5w20 and 0w20 jugs; 2 each left on shelf were Dexos 1 Gen 2 so
21.gif

According to the date on the Valvoline site that was linked, the new jug was introduced last Feb. Funny it has taken this long to get into stores unless their plan was to use it with the new gen 2 release.

Wemay, how is the Valvoline doing in your Hyundai cars?

Right, here too car51.

PimTac,
I've never been one to notice a difference between motor oil. I'm just not that perceptive i guess. But aside from that, there's no fuel scent on the dipsticks and the vehicles are running just fine.

Wemay I am joking with you here... I might just send ya some good hearing aides for Christmas stocking stuffers
smile.gif

I gave noticed that some products run quieter than others. Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline, Havoline Pro DS and DS, Mobil Super Synthetic all run quite similar in my Altima 3.5. I would say out of that group Castrol Magnatec and Valvoline ran about the quietest. But all of them were very good as a whole. Only one oil ran very noticeably noisy.. Royal Purple API SN 5w30. That was downright spooky how loud and noisy it got to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back