2017 Pentastar - tick on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: StevieC
My Santa Fe HLA's would bleed down all the time even after being parked only an hour. On cold days it would tick really loudly. I tried every sort of additive and oil weight to fix this and nothing would fix it. I found out it was common and just left it be. It never caused any long term issues and make it to 300,000 miles before dying of something else.
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it can be a very common issue for certain engine families and generally has no impact on longevity or performance.

Thank you both. I suspect that is the answer I will get from the dealer tomorrow.

If there's no long term issue, I'm fine with it. I'm just a little cautious after my 2013 Pentastar engine failure.

I think that was just a bad batch of engines. My dad's is a 2012 with 300,000km on it and running just as good. He uses Fram Orange Cans in all of his vehicles normally (but Wix in this one) and the cheapest conventional oil he can find that is on sale. He doesn't even look for the MS-6395 spec it is supposed to meet either. He tows with it too.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I found them. #10 in the drawing. Only $3.35 each.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Google search turned up a wide spread problem with the Pentastar V6 ticking. After awhile it goes from ticking for 1-2 seconds when cold, to ticking all the time none stop. Chrysler doesn't want their customers knowing about it, but it's all over the internet.

https://www.challengerforumz.com/threads/3-6-pentastar-tick.88942/

Correct, they are not expensive, it is replacing them (the labour) that gets costly.

You look up ticking for anything, you are going to find results, it definitely isn't isolated to the Pentastar or Chrysler.

The 2.0L in my Kia Soul has an issue with start-up noise from lifters draining down.

It clatters like crazy for a half a minute or so some start-ups...but is completely silent on others.

10W-30 oil, and an OEM Kia filter has reduced the instance of this a LOT, but it still does it a fair bit.

Still thinking of experimenting with Mos2 and thicker oils to see if I can get it to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back