Jeep Compass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by what I am hearing about the brand new (2017/18) Compass, Id still say no.

Local dealer already has two of the 2.4 tigersharks being worked on for issues.

Looks nice, but looks strange like it has some serious wheel gap.....

I've rented the Compass a number of times. I strongly dislike them. I give them a near "dismal" rating due to poor driving dynamics, lack of power, low quality interior and so on. Nothing about the Compass is competitive with other current offerings. At best, the Compass is a 2 star vehicle. You would have to look long and hard to find a worse new vehicle.

Jeep is like Harley Davidson in that there is some sort satisfaction or cache associated with owning one regardless of the perceived quality. I would not buy a compass, since it appears it shows up on many 'avoid or regret' lists; a new design wouldn't not allay my fears since my confidence is their producing a 'very high quality' product (salesman's words) out of the gate is close to zero. Should I mention the (2) year old GC that is @ the dealer for "loss of power?"

A woman @ work bought a Patriot against all recommendations of her auto knowledgeable friends recommendations because it was a good deal (it was) and 'she wanted a jeep'; I have no problems with that, but she should not expect it to be like the 2004 camry she gave to her daughter who needed a car in a pinch.

Summarizing, if you don't 'really want a jeep' there are almost no compelling reasons to consider this over many other vehicles.

My wife has a 2017 Cherokee 4WD with the 2.4 engine and it uses oil about 2 quarts per 6,000 mile oil change. It's possible it's just breaking in, but I've never had a new car use a considerable amount of oil like this. I may switch to 5W-30 and see what happens it this keeps up. Other than that, no issues but too new to really tell; I like her old Equinox better. FWIW the 2.4 seems to have enough power to me although I live where it's flat. If I lived in the mountains I might think differently.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've rented the Compass a number of times. I strongly dislike them. I give them a near "dismal" rating due to poor driving dynamics, lack of power, low quality interior and so on. Nothing about the Compass is competitive with other current offerings. At best, the Compass is a 2 star vehicle. You would have to look long and hard to find a worse new vehicle.
Fiat-Chrysler really needs to get it together like just about all the other makes already have.
Best options are: CRV, CX-5, Escape, Equinox-Terrain, Sportage-Tucson, Rav4, and Car&Driver ranks Compass way down at #11 in this field.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Fiat-Chrysler really needs to get it together like just about all the other makes already have.

Chrysler has been around, what, near 100 years now. They have never "got it together". That's why they went bankrupt twice, had a slew of owners, and still don't know how to make a good vehicle. Even their "best" are mostly not Chrysler designs. About the only thing they have "Good" is the Hemi and that's nothing special but great marketing.

The Compass is great buy <$20k. However new for $25k it is well overpriced despite newer design compared to its competitors coupled to terrible reliability reputation.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Jeep is like Harley Davidson in that there is some sort satisfaction or cache associated with owning one regardless of the perceived quality. I would not buy a compass, since it appears it shows up on many 'avoid or regret' lists; a new design wouldn't not allay my fears since my confidence is their producing a 'very high quality' product (salesman's words) out of the gate is close to zero. Should I mention the (2) year old GC that is @ the dealer for "loss of power?"

A woman @ work bought a Patriot against all recommendations of her auto knowledgeable friends recommendations because it was a good deal (it was) and 'she wanted a jeep'; I have no problems with that, but she should not expect it to be like the 2004 camry she gave to her daughter who needed a car in a pinch.

Summarizing, if you don't 'really want a jeep' there are almost no compelling reasons to consider this over many other vehicles.

Some very valuable advice in this thread, I am not going to be considering it. I already have a voice mail on my phone from the salesman. He said I could be driving it by the end of the day.

I wasn't thrilled how they dealt with my neighbors issue, meanwhile sometimes it won't move at a light, that is totally unacceptable. They told him to log things with a scantool and record it and bring it back, see what fails first. They said they aren't sure what is going on. He said if he wanted to mess with cars he didn't have to pay 50K for one. He told them flat out if it happens again it is getting lemoned.

He told me he had a tuned v8 AWD loaded 2000 Limited Explorer and it was much better than the POS he has now. Never a single issue. He traded it years ago in C4C and is very sorry he did. He has is eye on ebay for desert one. He also accepted some electrical issues for the Jeep and they compromised with some money back, he said it should probably be a lemon, and the next issue will confirm it. They also did work on the valve body of the trans. He thinks the newer Jeeps are built to the minimum cost and quality, and like a Walmart TV you throw it away when it breaks. The brand has a big following so they are still around. All they got going are slick salesmen.

Wife drives the 2015 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 with 3.2L V-6, the good is nice fuel mileage about 24-25 city/hwy combined typically for her work daily driving and 30-31 on pure highway vacation trips. The bad has been 4 or 5 recalls so far and the transmission and rear drive shaft were replaced under warranty already due to failures which I would mostly blame on poor engineering design or released early without enough testing done rushing the vehicle to the marketplace.

Upgrade is in the future to something with third row seating, either the Dodge Durango or Ford Explorer are potential candidates at this time due to employee family discount plans.

It's the stealer. There are better vehicles out there. But, do what makes you happy! It's what you want..........

Good hunting sir!

Respectfully,

Pajero

If you want an appliance, get a Honda or any other of those brands. If you want a fun vehicle, get a Jeep. Owners are cool and there's definitely a cool feeling about having one. Just got back from a Jeep show and it really is a family.

If you just want point A to point B, anything will do. But if you want something that'll be fun, a Jeep is worth a look. I don't regret any of mine. Just my opinion. I certainly would not enjoy an "appliance" car....a RAV 4 would look a little funny driving over a rock pile at a Jeep show.
smile.gif

Testdrove one a few years ago for my wife before she decided on the camry and wasn't at all impressed with the power and handeling. I also did a little research online and read a lot of negative reviews.
This salesman steered you straight to the bottom of the barrel, what an honest individual, wait he's a car salesman. Jeep is at the bottom of my list along with Chrysler products in general, I may own a wrangler but that's about it.

Last edited:
$25K with trade for a CUV that typically retails for Such a deal!
These are awful machines and they have an awful reputation.
So the old 2.4 four is now a "Tigershark"? LOL!
Better choices out there and if you want to drop 25K, you'd be better served visiting your local Subaru dealer.
You'd get a better AWD system as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back