We rented a 2023 Durango GT

Was in CO for a week and upgraded to a SUV which was supposed to be an Explorer. Well they had a Durango up front and really didn’t want to wander the 30 ft to an Explorer to bring to us so I said we’ll just take it.

my biggest pet peeve in SUVs is the hatch/cargo area and the slanted backs that cut down on storage. Sure they look cool but not really functional except for groceries. The Durango did not have that issue and with the 3rd row folded down the cargo area is very large. We had 2 full size suit cases and a mid size case back there and no stacking was required.

Handling wasn’t confidence inspiring. The suspension was soft and quite a bit of roll through the corners. But ride wise while cruising was nice and comfortable. The seats were very comfortable and it was a decently quiet ride with the windows up which was a rare occasion because the weather was really nice.

The 3.6 and 8speed did well at elevation and through the passes. It was no turbo motor but wasn’t a slug either. Never checked mileage because we didn’t really care to be honest.

We did go over Marshall Pass which is the continental divide in it which was forest service roads with rocks. Nothing major rock wise but they can still cut a tire. I never checked to see if it came with a spare tire before we decided to go over the pass. Not the smartest decision but when you get to see bighorns and moose you kind of forget.

My wife agreed with me that we were surprised with how nice the Durango was and that it would make a good kid hauler and long distance travel vehicle.

The only Durango we had experience with, was one with the 5.7 V8 and AWD.
For two ppl and minimal luggage, it was a bit excessive.
The V8 while entertaining, was quite thirsty.

Overall, we preferred our time with a CX-5 much more than the Durango.
But if you had kids and needed to regularly tow something, I could see the appeal.

My wife and I really like the Durango when we shopped for replacement for the Sequoia. The part that didn't work for us was the AWD choices or lack of. We were looking at the 6cyl AWD. There was nothing to lock any parts of the AWD or change ranges etc. She takes her SUV to the beach, it sees gravel/mud to hunting cabin, snowy roads etc. That same issue knocked out the Traverse also and that had the most room for a mid size 3 row.

We wound up with a Pilot instead. Not that it doesn't have it's own issues but the AWD works great for us. She uses "sand" mode often and (knock on wood) has not gotten stuck at the beach yet.

For me with family and friends, the service/parts from Dodge and Jeep has been HORRENDOUS. I like the Charger's, Challenger's, Durango's, Ram's, Wrangler but at this point would not buy one. FIL's Renegade (I know it's a Fiat) has been in to many times for service and now supposedly needs a motor at 82k. At least it's under warranty. He was able to get a loaner and has had it over 1 month already. My friend has had at least 6 Ram pick ups. He bought a new one 1 year ago, CEL came on, dealers around me would not even give him an appt. They said bring back to where you bought it (a couple states away) when his other one died on a road trip towing trailer. He got tired of a bunch of small repairs and really needed a bigger one for towing his trailer. He walked in to dealer and bought a new 3500HD dually with extended warranty. Dealers around here didn't care.

Back