How dumb would buying a 2013 Chrysler 200 be?

I’m joining the chorus on the 200: walk away and don’t look back.

Salesman wants it gone because he can’t convince anyone to take it. Once it’s sold he doesn’t have to work hard to move it anymore.

My sister had one. She bought it without my input because the Ford dealer had it in on trade and convinced her (and let’s be honest, her car-inexperienced husband) that it was a good car. It was not. I can repair and maintain a car to be reliable enough, but this one is just poorly made. She got rid of it for a Captiva (again, I was not asked on that buy) 🫣.

I’m guessing from the feedback you’ve gotten the salesman is going to be pushing that 200 on some unsuspecting buyer for a while longer. 😎
I had to look up what a Captiva was, I don't think I've seen one in years, unless they were also sold as equinox

I went to look at a different car and the salesman encouraged me to drive what he said was the real sleeper deal on the lot. A 2013 Chrysler 200 with 145k miles. Cosmetics were ok and the interior could use a good scrubbing but mechanically it seemed to run fine. It has the 2.4L engine and a six speed automatic. I could probably get it for $3500 all in.

Everything in my DNA tells me to never, ever, ever own another Chrysler product. Could this be an exception? I’ve done a bit of reading this afternoon and can’t find a lot of feedback on this car either way.
I actually like the 200. I know a couple people with them and they like them and haven´t had any issues after many miles and years. One has a Pentastar and that danged thing is quick!

Remember Married with Children? Al Bundy pushing his Dodge home everyday?

This could be your future:

IMG_8222.png

My family has probably had at least 18 Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler products. Not one breakdown. Not one major repair. I guess I should go buy a Powerball ticket? :ROFLMAO:
The only one that disappointed me was my Durango, should have bought a new 2014 instead of an used 2011 but I was 20, dumb, and did precisely zero research on it… and yeah, I think I might need some dielectric grease for the back up camera connectors on my truck now. Other than that, rock solid reliability with ours.

Finicky TPS and transmissions that can't make a decision make it a PITA. That and rear doors that fill with water along with a host of other electrical gremlins.
My advice, pass...

So, what is your alternative? Walking? an older car that might be higher miles yet better reliability reputation? Spend more?

I personally think this car is iffy and I don't like rolling dice, but if you have a mechanic friend looking through it and you only need a car maybe 2 days a month, it "might" be worth it. If I have to commute on time everyday to work for 2 hours a day, I would probably not trust it, and get an older boring Corolla instead.

Don't make me list off all the reliable Chrysler's my family has had. I'll be here a while!
I love them too and the early ones were workhorses.
The vehicle in question here however, not so much.
The 3.6L versions (most were ordered with the 2.4) shocked many from light to light though.
Otherwise they were plagued with issues from what I've seen and read about:(

They can reasonably last
Can being the operative word
I don't much care for them, but if it checks out, and there's nothing else better available for the money 🤷‍♂️
Make sure it got its Airbag controller recall performed

I love them too and the early ones were workhorses.
The vehicle in question here however, not so much.
The 3.6L versions (most were ordered with the 2.4) shocked many from light to light though.
Otherwise they were plagued with issues from what I've seen and read about:(
There is absolutely zero need for 283hp in that vehicle… and it’s a friggin blast. For whatever reason, the “range select” on my parents 2013 doesn’t work like all my other Dodge/Chrysler/Ram vehicles, it WILL go into whatever gear you select… no, it will not accelerate from a stop in 6th gear, yes I tried that in a McDonald’s drive through.

It will also try to torque steer you into a ditch while spinning the tires halfway through 2nd gear 😅 It also blew the doors off my AWD 2011 Durango with the 5.7 HEMI from a stop light lol

I don't think the 200 and facelifted Avenger are bad. The 3.6 is a great engine, it turns these into a rocket ship. What's wrong with the 2.4? I hated the cheap interiors on the Sebring and early Avengers, but they actually made them pretty nice on the 2011+

View attachment 172866
You are so right! I drove a 200 once with the 3.6 and it was a blast - they could have slapped in R/T badge on it and it would have earned it. I think they were listed as like 5.5 sec 0-60 and you could get AWD.

Back