Fram Ultra now rated up to 20K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about this the old one I have says proven protection up to 15,000 miles where the one I picked up today says 20k so what changed?

Sorry if this was posted before.

As far as I know, it's basically the same filter - My guess is that Fram did some additional testing an based on the results, upped the rating as a result. Just a guess though.

Originally Posted By: MikeB4rsk
Does anyone know what the bypass pressure of the filter is?
Fram list the specs for all their filters. Do a parts search here for the particular filter.

http://www.fram.com/

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Does anyone know what the bypass pressure of the filter is?
Fram list the specs for all their filters. Do a parts search here for the particular filter.

http://www.fram.com/

Nice found it!

Fram footnote 1, 20k or use your owners manual. Most of them give a time limit, often one year, or severe service. Severe is driving in traffic. So if you drive 200 miles in one year, it's oil filter change time. Unless you drive on your own road all alone, it's the severe schedule, not the normal.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Fram footnote 1, 20k or use your owners manual. Most of them give a time limit, often one year, or severe service.

Yep, just the typical CYA statement used by all filter manufacturers. I've left oil filters on for over 2 years and low mileage with no problems whatsoever - yes, they were cut open and inspected.

Great news - I now have at least a 2:1 safety factor. And when M1 AP makes the next price drop the same applies

Last edited:
They might as well make it 50k miles, because when they ALSO include the "Use our filter for 20k miles, or ... while following the OEM OFCI ... or one year ... whatever comes first ..." mantra, the upper end mileage they display for marketing purposes is completely moot. I don't know of a car or LD truck out there that's going to have an IOLM getting out to 20k miles. So the risk is non-existent for Fram. They can claim a super-duper long FCI because they know there's no way in Hades the OFCI will ever get there because of OTHER limits that will be incurred first.

Not unlike the hype over Mobil 1 annual oil; same limits apply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
They might as well make it 50k miles, because when they ALSO include the "Use our filter for 20k miles, or ... while following the OEM OFCI ... or one year ... whatever comes first ..." mantra, the upper end mileage they display for marketing purposes is completely moot. I don't know of a car or LD truck out there that's going to have an IOLM getting out to 20k miles. So the risk is non-existent for Fram. They can claim a super-duper long FCI because they know there's no way in Hades the OFCI will ever get there because of OTHER limits that will be incurred first.

Yes, but marketing rhetoric aside (and I understand and agree with what you are saying), will it actually last 20K miles without tearing or failing in some other way--meaning are they able to hide behind words or do they actually have a product that will do what they say? Based upon the ones that I used out to 17K, I say no problem at all and I would guess they moved the mark from 15K to 20K to compete with M1 filters.

Curious about this the old one I have says proven protection up to 15,000 miles where the one I picked up today says 20k so what changed?

Sorry if this was posted before.

Marketing

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

It might be possible that some Hondas, etc that call for 2x OCIs on one filter might get near 10K miles on the OLM per OCI. Maybe that is one reason Fram bumped the mileage rating on the Ultra in order to meet the service interval of manufacturers that call for 2x OCIs per filter.

Based on seeing fleets and personal cars going 30k miles on complete oil changes, with 10k-mile filter-only changes, the extra robust chemistry in Mobil1 Annual Protection should do 1-year or 20k miles with ease.

The Mobil 1 AP refers to "if vehicle is under warranty" (follow OEM) - however the average age of cars in the US is north of 10 years. Lots of cars out of warranty - 3/6 of mine - and far from the oldest fleet on this site.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

.....marketing rhetoric aside, will it actually last 20K miles without tearing or failing in some other way.... or do they actually have a product that will do what they say? Based upon the ones that I used out to 17K,

I agree.
I would run a Fram Ultra to 20K and not even blink and eye about it.

I'd even do 50K on one with ZERO worries.

Originally Posted By: marine65
I just bought one and it says 15000 miles.
That's the older package with the stick on sticker on the filter can I have both on my desk right now.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

.....marketing rhetoric aside, will it actually last 20K miles without tearing or failing in some other way.... or do they actually have a product that will do what they say? Based upon the ones that I used out to 17K,

I agree.
I would run a Fram Ultra to 20K and not even blink and eye about it.

I'd even do 50K on one with ZERO worries.
Well I'd never do 50 but I'd stick with my 3k oil changes given I'm running a Turbo Subaru and I just rebuilt the whole entire motor due to the last one having metal particulates from the turbo and bearings floating around the passageways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back