Run Extra Guard for 10k or Ultra Guard for 20k?

How is a UOA going to tell you which oil fitter to use?
If they went 10k & the UOA said "time to change" basically then why would they use an Ultra? That's how a UOA can help determine which oil filter to use. Why would they need or pay extra for an Ultra when a TG would suffice for that 10k interval? Make sense?

If they went 10k & the UOA said "time to change" basically then why would they use an Ultra? That's how a UOA can help determine which oil filter to use. Why would they need or pay extra for an Ultra when a TG would suffice for that 10k interval? Make sense?
Wut?

Of those two options, I'd rather use the Ultra for 20k miles than the EG for 10k.

The FRAM Endurance is more appropriate for 20k. For a budget filter on a 10k invertal, I'd use a Supertech, which is much better than the EG. The downside of using either of these filters is that you'll have to step foot inside a Walmart.

I wouldn't use an EG for a 10K OCI for two reasons, regardless if a UOA shows the oil was good for 10K miles: 1) I don't like using filters right up to the max mileage rating of the filter because I like headroom, and 2) I would want the extra efficiency of a TG or Ultra or Endurance or similar higher efficiency filter for a 10K or more OCI. I'd use the EG for a 5K or less OCI though.

I wouldn't use an EG for a 10K OCI for two reasons, regardless if a UOA shows the oil was good for 10K miles: 1) I don't like using filters right up to the max mileage rating of the filter because I like headroom, and 2) I would want the extra efficiency of a TG or Ultra or Endurance or similar higher efficiency filter for a 10K or more OCI. I'd use the EG for a 5K or less OCI though.
I wouldn't use it either for 10k

The question is, how much more do you plan on driving this car. If just another 50,000 miles, probably doesn't matter much. If you want to go another 100K or 200K, I wouldn't do 20K oil changes regardless of what filter you use. I think 10K is also too long, but what do I know.
I wouldn't do 20k oil change intervals. I'd stick with my current 10k oci, but simply change the filter every other time.

As long as you drain it out so the old oil in the filter doesn't contaminate the new oil.
Don't disturb the filter ... that small amount of dirty oil isn't going to really matter. If the filter is going to be removed, just put a new one on IMO instead of messing around trying to drain and reinstall the old one. The base gasket will have lots of permanent set, and there's a risk of it not sealing and remaining sealed properly.

Which is why I never implied to use the EG in my original post. I'd never suggest an EG for 10k. A Tough Guard would be my suggestion for 10k like I mentioned already.

The base gasket will have lots of permanent set, and there's a risk of it not sealing and remaining sealed properly.
Old wives tale. Maybe if it been on there 5 years. Otherwise, just screw it back on an additional 1/4 turn. If it can't handle that, it would have started leaking anyway pretty soon. Plus the gasket is made of a synthetic rubber, and if a 20K mile rated filter, should be good material so as not to have such a set that it will leak on reinstall. Why are many transmission pan gaskets good for reuse?

Old wives tale. Maybe if it been on there 5 years. Otherwise, just screw it back on an additional 1/4 turn. If it can't handle that, it would have started leaking anyway pretty soon. Plus the gasket is made of a synthetic rubber, and if a 20K mile rated filter, should be good material so as not to have such a set that it will leak on reinstall. Why are many transmission pan gaskets good for reuse?
Not all oil filter base gaskets are "synthetic rubber", as most are nitrile which is not synthetic rubber. I only know of a few that actually use a silicone base gasket (MicroGard Selects for instance). I would never re-use any nitrile rubber gasket on anything using rubber gaskets, especially nitrile rubber exposed to heat of 200+F.

I believe a UOA is a limited way of judging how often to change a filter; very limited. While some inferences can be taken, they are very broad and general. I've yet to see any conclusive data that indicates filtration effectiveness in a UOA. You could maybe hit the broadside of a barn with a UOA to judge the filter, but that's the limit to its accuracy. There will be a very wide margin of error.

Particle Count tests as well as a live dP gage would be much more accurate.

I use UG Frams for 2 or sometimes 3 5K OCIs. I would have no problem using an EG for 2 5K services.
In fact, this has become my practice given my use of MityVac for oil change services.
Regardless, if the old filter comes off, a new one goes on.

First say, you do what you're comfortable with using the EG and Ultra. Having observed a fair number of post use c&p of both filters this board, 'for me' the EG a 5k-ish mile filter and current Ultra a 10k max mile filter. Based on the c&p posted, those are my comfort levels with them.

Last edited:
I believe a UOA is a limited way of judging how often to change a filter; very limited. While some inferences can be taken, they are very broad and general. I've yet to see any conclusive data that indicates filtration effectiveness in a UOA. You could maybe hit the broadside of a barn with a UOA to judge the filter, but that's the limit to its accuracy. There will be a very wide margin of error.

Particle Count tests as well as a live dP gage would be much more accurate.
You might be misunderstanding my post... Let me explain some more. Leave "Efficiencies" out as that was not what I was talking about in any way. My point is that if you established an oil drain interval via UOA testing & it concluded that 10k was the time to change why pay for an 20k Ultra filter when a TG would work? That would be somewhat of a waste of money IMO assuming an Ultra costs more.

I'm trying to decide if I want to run an Extra Guard 4967 for 10k miles or Ultra Guard for 20k miles on my 2.5L Camry. I run 10k OCI. I've had no issues so far running an Extra Guard on this car for 10k. What would you guys do?
Ultra is my pick,

or Endurance or Titanium.

Back