Run Extra Guard for 10k or Ultra Guard for 20k?

I'm trying to decide if I want to run an Extra Guard 4967 for 10k miles or Ultra Guard for 20k miles on my 2.5L Camry. I run 10k OCI. I've had no issues so far running an Extra Guard on this car for 10k. What would you guys do?

I'm trying to decide if I want to run an Extra Guard 4967 for 10k miles or Ultra Guard for 20k miles on my 2.5L Camry. I run 10k OCI. I've had no issues so far running an Extra Guard on this car for 10k. What would you guys do?

Have you cut open the Extra Guard at 10K 2 c what it looked like? Is this a Cartridge Oil Filter? Ok so this is a regular old Style oil filter, just looked it up, go with the FE 4967

Only go with the Ultra if you can find an older style with the Wire stuff on it.

How long does it take you to do 10,000 miles?

I have not cut open a 4967 filter from this vehicle. I intend to cut one open at my next 10k oil change. It is a spin on, non-cartridge filter.

I have not cut open a 4967 filter from this vehicle. I intend to cut one open at my next 10k oil change. It is a spin on, non-cartridge filter.

Cut it open, I thought I had a good oil filter until I cut it open, I then went 2 another oil filter.

EG isn't the filter I'd use for 10k & would opt for the tough Guard instead. Get some UOA to decide the length that works for you situation.

I've run EGs to 10k miles. Not had a problem.
That's not to say others haven't had issues, even with less miles.

What I believe is that if a filter has a weakness in that one unique example, it will "fail" regardless, soon after installation.
If the filter is solid and reliable, it will last much longer than most BITOGers would want to use it.
This is true of any brand of filter.

An EG should be fine to 10k but no more. The filter will likely hold up build wise, but you start running into capacity concerns on an entry level filter. I personally would not run an Ultra 20k, it has the capacity but the construction of late hasn't been overly impressive. I'd pick an Endurance for 20k.

EG isn't the filter I'd use for 10k & would opt for the tough Guard instead. Get some UOA to decide the length that works for you situation.
It would have to be an ISO particle count, and done on two different similar mileage OCI runs with a different filter on each run to get the impact of the filter efficiency on the used oil's PC.

I run 10k OCI. I've had no issues so far running an Extra Guard on this car for 10k.
The question is, how much more do you plan on driving this car. If just another 50,000 miles, probably doesn't matter much. If you want to go another 100K or 200K, I wouldn't do 20K oil changes regardless of what filter you use. I think 10K is also too long, but what do I know.

It would have to be an ISO particle count, and done on two different similar mileage OCI runs with a different filter on each run to get the impact of the filter efficiency on the used oil's PC.
I wasn't talking about efficiency between the filters.

Fram ULTRA got my vote

Back