2001 Chevy Malibu WOT power loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
that screams misfire.
ignition or even a broken valve spring.
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
UPDATE
Engine sound changes too, has a more farty sound to it.

I think it's an ignition timing issue. The timing chain could be stretched, due to coolant in the oil for however long the LIM leaked before I got the car.

Bad knock sensor retards timing, so under load when timing needs advance it doesn't. More Rpm needs more timing.

Ignition Module could be out of whack.

Car has 83k miles. Revs fine in park with no load.

If you rev for a few minutes, say 5 min at 2k, the coolant temp does jump up about 15-20 degrees but does not get to the danger zone.

Thoughts? Things I can test?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ignition? If you're losing spark on one cylinder that would be 25% of your power. You'd feel that.

You would get a misfire code if it were that bad and the car would be shuddering if you lost one cylinder.. Connect a scan tool, check the data the sensors are sending as well as the fuel trims.

Last edited:
I think it's an ignition timing issue. The timing chain could be stretched, due to coolant in the oil for however long the LIM leaked before I got the car.

Bad knock sensor retards timing, so under load when timing needs advance it doesn't. More Rpm needs more timing.

Ignition Module could be out of whack.

Car has 83k miles. Revs fine in park with no load.

If you rev for a few minutes, say 5 min at 2k, the coolant temp does jump up about 15-20 degrees but does not get to the danger zone.

Thoughts? Things I can test?

Don't worry about the timing chain, you would wipe out the bearings before that. As stated, with the scan tool and going for a drive, you can answer all your questions. Diagnose, don't go assuming and spend your money on parts which may not help you.

I'd think fuel pressure dropping off could cause it but everytime I've had that happen I get a lean condition code.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Could be a bad MAF. Really need a scan tool to see what everything is doing when it happens.

With a GM, can you do what you can with a Ford or BMW, which is unplug the MAF and see if the power comes back (base table only) ? If so, that'd be an easy test.

And it's not the knock sensor. WOT shows no knock event but under light acceleration 2-3 degrees of retard can show. Timing advances and retards normally under light throttle.

Any idea what would cause ignition timing to be retarded because you floor it?
When it is bogging it's capping advance at 24-25 degrees

Last edited:
I have not. I thought unplugging the MAF meant a dead engine

See my earlier post. I'm not 100% on how it works for a GM, but Ford and GM it puts the engine in base table only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back