2000 VW 1.8 EPC code

Good day all,

VW recently started to display a random EPC light. Would go away after a re-start. One time I had a crank/no start issue what would reslove itself after stiing a bit. I cleaned the throttle body in frame, that got a P0605 check engine trouble code. Vehicle runs fine when firat started and usually has nor codes.

If your car activates a P0605 diagnostic error code, then this is a sign that there is an issue with the engine or ignition control module (ECM/ICM), in particular, its ROM or read-only memory bank.

These codes now seem to come and go, and often show up after a warm re-start. My code reader will only read codes from the ECM, and will not pull VW EPC codes. My question, if I buy a VAG-COM type code reader will, I be able to read the EPC code? I mean do VW EPC codes have a number that I can use to help trouble shoot the problem?

A VCDS will work perfectly. I would go on a VW forum and see who has one locally. You might even find a list of VCDS owners who will happily scan your car and talk you through the repair.

I'm a former VW diesel head so my affiliation was with TDI Club. They have a VCDS list there that you can browse. You can contact user Krazykipa in Waterloo and see if he'll help you out. He's a member on TDI Club.

I don't know if that tool will work for reading the EPC codes. It says that it will do throttle adaptation but that doesn't mean it will identify problems with the electronic power control.

Have you searched YouTube for throttle system problems on your specific car? Those cars are known to have issues with the plastic drive gears on the throttle body.

If you lived closer I'd let you borrow my VCDS cable. You can download the software on your computer for free and then use the dongle to read your car. It doesn't work on 2019 and newer models though. I am surprised there isn't someone near you with a tool. I'll try to ask around. I have friends in Niagara Falls which isn't too awfully far away so maybe we can find someone.

Can you post a link to the cable/dongle you have? Throttle body seems a possiblity, but I don't want to start up the parts cannon before pulling a code.

Seems to be 6 or 7 main issues with EPC light: (I can rule out internal engine damage)

Here’s some more information;

• Wiring issues can occur in any electronic system in the vehicle, and can cause problems with the EPC system if the wiring that connects the various sensors and modules is damaged or corroded.
  • Internal engine problems, such as low compression in one or more cylinders or a malfunctioning camshaft sensor, can also cause the EPC light to come on.
  • A malfunctioning steering sensor can cause problems with the EPC system by providing incorrect information about the position of the steering wheel, which can affect the operation of the throttle body.
  • A malfunctioning ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) sensor can cause problems with the EPC system by providing incorrect information about the speed of the vehicle, which can affect the operation of the throttle body.
  • A throttle body failure can cause the EPC light to come on, as the throttle body controls the amount of air that enters the engine, and a malfunctioning throttle body can cause problems with engine performance and fuel efficiency.
  • Power steering failure can cause the EPC light to come on, as the power steering system assist the driver in steering the wheel and a malfunction in it can affect the operation of the throttle body.

Good day all,

VW recently started to display a random EPC light. Would go away after a re-start. One time I had a crank/no start issue what would reslove itself after stiing a bit. I cleaned the throttle body in frame, that got a P0605 check engine trouble code. Vehicle runs fine when firat started and usually has nor codes.

If your car activates a P0605 diagnostic error code, then this is a sign that there is an issue with the engine or ignition control module (ECM/ICM), in particular, its ROM or read-only memory bank.

These codes now seem to come and go, and often show up after a warm re-start. My code reader will only read codes from the ECM, and will not pull VW EPC codes. My question, if I buy a VAG-COM type code reader will, I be able to read the EPC code? I mean do VW EPC codes have a number that I can use to help trouble shoot the problem?
your code reader just puts out generic OBD-II codes.

There are no "EPC codes". It's just faults that trigger a EPC light.

a VCDS will read, but for the sharing aspect, if a person has can older KEY-COM or HEX-COM dongle, then they can read it for you. Micro-CAN can't read it. HEX-V2 is VIN limited, so people are not willing to share.

My apologies that it's not crystal clear but a quick shot to show my dongle. This works with any computer that you can download the VCDS software on. Unfortunately, we're 800 miles apart.

1686693319052.jpeg

your code reader just puts out generic OBD-II codes.

There are no "EPC codes". It's just faults that trigger a EPC light.

a VCDS will read, but for the sharing aspect, if a person has can older KEY-COM or HEX-COM dongle, then they can read it for you. Micro-CAN can't read it. HEX-V2 is VIN limited, so people are not willing to share.
Thanks for the reply, but Im a bit confused. You state thge EPC light doe snot store a code, only come son whgen a "fault" is detected.
But then say older Key-Com or Hex-Com can read it. I can get a shop to read, but for the same price maybe just buy my own reader. Just need to find the right one I guess

Well, I did a quick search and some light digging and my research isn't very positive. Here is what I came up with for a P0605 with translation to the VAG DTC code 16989:

1686694543221.jpg

Search for DTC 16989 and read all of the horror stories. Nobody found that their ECU was bad. Most found a wiring issue in the harness. Hopefully you can dedicate some time and since it throws a generic OBD code you can get it cleared for free at the autoparts store. Keep us posted.

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. So am I correct to say the P0605 DTC code is the same as the EPC 16989 code? P0605 code light comes and goes, and has been gone for a week. Which I find a bit strange as the "check engine" codes usually stay on until cleared.

Today, EPC light came on for first time in a while, and then went off on vehicle stop/start. P0605 is now showing as a pending code. If P0605 is causing the EPC light, I guess I don't need the VW EPC reader

Nearly every thread I read about the this showed it to be intermittent. That is good because if the ECU is bad then it will always be bad. Most people related it to some type of wiring problem and one guy seemed to think it was related to his ignition coil replacement.

My paper Bentley manual is for the Golf/GTi and Jetta but everything should cross to the Beetle. I think the ECU is under the cowl so look around and see if you find any moisture or loose/corroded wires.

I'm sorry that I don't have any better information but this is just going to take a lot of elbow grease to find. One person said that theirs never returned once they cleared it after a half dozen times. Good Luck!!

Search for DTC 16989 and read all of the horror stories. Nobody found that their ECU was bad. Most found a wiring issue in the harness. Hopefully you can dedicate some time and since it throws a generic OBD code you can get it cleared for free at the autoparts store. Keep us posted.
Yeah, lots of fun reading on that code, but at least I have a place to start. Seems issues are
Wiring problem, fauty ECM (unlikly I think) possible re-flash needed, vacuum hose leak at ECM. Multiple others. I have the Beetle Bentley manual, so will take a look

I will post the fix when I get there..

For anyone looking at the same issue, I needed to get a new ECM to correct. Found a used one for $80 and $40 to have it matched to my keys and display. SO far all is working good

Back