Lacked power rough running when cold wrx

Drove my 21 wrx to work today. I was running late so I hopped in and left it was 10 degrees. Started fine but when I got on the main road and got into the throttle it lacked power and ran rough. No engine light no codes nothing. I backed off and drove it easy and it was ok. Basically it did it when it would hit boost I think. Once it warmed up it was fine and happy. Does have a Cobb access port stage 1 93 octane tune. Not sure why it behaved this way. Any thoughts?

Probably not without manual inspection. Some eco boost owners drill a small hole in a low point in the intercooler to drain it - can be an issue in the cold or on humid/wet days. They complain of symptoms above freezing, however, not just in the cold.

As others have suggested, frozen intercooler or maybe an issue of not in closed loop operation not jiving with the tune?

Subaru? Maybe the denser cold air has caused too much compression and the heads/head gaskets are shunting the excess pressure to atmosphere, thus causing drive-ability problems. This may foreshadow the 100k replacement engine maintenance interval. How many miles? LOL
:LOL:

I think the EcoBoost problem was solved by Ford using a smaller charge air cooler. The early engine had so much cooling, moisture in the compressed air would condense and cause a miss by getting water in the cylinders. Your problem could be as simple as being a bit cold blooded. I wouldn’t worry about it too much if it only had a problem at low temperatures. I would let it warm up a couple minutes in cold temps, not more than 5 minutes.

My wifes 2016 Malibu started running rough last week when it was really really cold, P0299 code popped up. Turbo charger underboost condition I think. First time it has happened on our car but I hear it can be common for small displacement turbocharged engines.

So I hooked my scan tool to it today and found long term fuel trims at -15 so i removed the tune and went back to stock and had the same thing. So then I tuned it for Cobb stage 1 91 octane +sf v400 tune. Which is a map for their stage 1 with a redline intake. Once I did this the long term fuel trim is +3 and it runs great. Maf sensor readings from 2.8 grams per second to 2.3. I do have a Perrin cold air intake on the car which they claim doesn’t need a tune at all to run and they also claim that intake is fine with stage 1 91 octane Cobb tunes. I’m going to reach out to Perrin tomorrow and see if I can make some sense of this. On the current map it runs flawlessly and the data seems great so there’s that.
Crazy how picky Subarus are though 😂😂

IMO the tune isn't playing nice with whatever cold start routine you were in.

My VW has a "cold-cold" warmup routine when it is below freezing. Lots of EGR and even delayed shifting from the AT.

You never mentioned it was modified and tuned.
That’s quite an omission.
With aftermarket mods and tunes, these kinds of problems are not a surprise at all.
It was mentioned in the very first post that started the thread………..I literally couldn’t have been any clearer!

Back