Fel-Pro gaskets- Good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Getting ready to change the distributor O-ring on my brother's 1997 Civic since it is leaking. Fel-pro O-rings are available from the auto stores around here, Napa, Advance, AutoZone, Oreilly's, etc..

It seems to the standard and regular replacement part readily available and in stock. There are other ones listed, like, Mahle, but I think I would have to special order it.

My question is, I don't know anything about Fel-pro, are they good quality? This is the O-ring, but I am also looking at replacing the valve cover gaskets on our cars and they are what the auto stores have in stock.

Anyone have experience with Fel-pro valve cover gaskets? Good quality?

Thanks,

Yes they are good quality. I've used a Fel-Pro stock type head gasket in my Civic twice with no problem. Once when the original gasket blew, second time I needed to remove head and replace a burnt valve.

I just completed the full monty lower intake gasket job on my car. Fuel o-ring and others included too along with valve cover gaskets. Excellent so far and I don't anticipate any issues since so many folks have had good experiences as well.

The distributor o-ring was leaking bad on my GM 3.1 engine which is common. The Fel-Pro o-ring was not the new and better updated viton o-ring. Had to go to the local GM dealer, and buy it from the parts department.

Might want to check around to see if the original part is viton or what.

I don't see a problem with them.

Last summer I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals (sold as a set) for the Focus below.
Did it as preventative maint. since I didn't have anything else to do with my time, and the parts were about $5 from Rockauto.

Roughly a year later and no leaks.
thumbsup2.gif

I usually buy Payen-branded gaskets, but I understand that Fel-Pro and Payen are in every way identical. I know that the last Payen gasket set I bought is identical(right down to the packaging) to the Fel-Pro set that NAPA sells.

On my MG, virtually every engine gasket-including the head gasket-is Payen. They have become a standard recommendation in the MG community, to the point that if I call my part supplier and say "send me a head gasket" that's what he's going to send unless I specify something else. Everyone from the top engine builders to the guys like me who putter around with mine and friends' cars in their garages uses them.

Fel-Pro's likely okay but I'd just get the Honda gaskets. Although the job isn't difficult, it'd still be annoying to do it again because of leaky gaskets.

For the most part Fel-Pro is good - especially on domestics and "problem children". OEM is best for the rest - like Honda and Toyota valve covers and cam seals.

The Japanese and European OEMs use Freudenberg as an sealing supplier - they also own the main Japanese sealing suppliers.

when i replaced the spark plugs on my Sable, I ordered motorcraft plugs, and and a fel-pro plenum gasket(transverse v6, have to remove basically the whole intake to access the rear bank) from rock auto.

getting ready to put the new gasket in place, wrong parts in the box. right number on the box, bit one of the 2 pieces was wrong.
(luckily i had another car available, Head to local O'reilly, get a new replacement gasket, check it before paying.

the one with the wrong parts inside, was made in USA. the one that had the right parts, made in mexico. same part number on both boxes.

but rockauto quickly refunded the money(I had payed with paypal, they issued me the refund less than 2 hrs from when I emailed cust. service) , and never even asked me to send the part back...

I went with Fel Pro on my trucks lower intake manifold gaskets. It came in a kit with the upper intake and valve cover gaskets too. I want to say the AC Delco option out there is "updated", but oh well. Not looking forward to this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back