Hi everyone! I used Super Lube with Fel Pro injectors O-ring

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to post my question. Is Super Lube Multipurpose Grease compatible with Fel Pro Fuel injector o-rings Part# ES71859? Fel Pro website doesn't mention what are these o-rings are made of. It worked great when i replaced the fuel injectors for my Corolla and made the job easy but not sure about compatibility of that grease with the O-rings.

Thank you!

If they can take fuel a little grease won't hurt em.
Hi Chris!
Thank you for the reply. Good to know as this grease made the job so easy and great sealing so far. In my first attempt i tried only gasoline but i ended up with huge leak.

I used just a little motor oil on them. They are exposed to fuel and vapors, they can handle oil. With the O2 sensors, I would not use a silicon based grease.

Last edited:
Super lube is fine just don't use too much, a thin coat is all it takes and do not get any in the top of the injector only on the o ring.
WD40, Vaseline, engine oil, etc will all work fine. Do not use a silicone spray.
Silicone spray and plastic appearance products like Armor All are not a good thing to be using around an engine, they can damage MAF sensors, O2 sensors and cats if even the smallest amount gets into the intake or pcv system.

The problem with RTV silicone is the acetic acid content found in some formulas that allows silicone in the vapors to become airborne and easily ingested, always look for the ones that are "sensor safe".

Super lube is fine just don't use too much, a thin coat is all it takes and do not get any in the top of the injector only on the o ring.
WD40, Vaseline, engine oil, etc will all work fine. Do not use a silicone spray.
Silicone spray and plastic appearance products like Armor All are not a good thing to be using around an engine, they can damage MAF sensors, O2 sensors and cats if even the smallest amount gets into the intake or pcv system.

The problem with RTV silicone is the acetic acid content found in some formulas that allows silicone in the vapors to become airborne and easily ingested, always look for the ones that are "sensor safe".
Trav, thanks for sharing this.

Yesterday I replaced a monster of a PCV valve assembly and the associated hoses (total assembly was massive- not the PCV valve itself) on a 2004 Lincoln Navigator with the 5.4l INtech engine. I thought I was being proactive by putting silicone paste on the vacuum hose ends and the pcv valve itself. Now I know that was a mistake, maybe a big one.

Hi Trav!
Thank you for the information! the Super Lube worked great after two failed attempts with big leaks when i used only gasoline and i had to order new set of o-rings (Fel Pro).

I used dielectric silicone grease. I hope that wasn't bad. This is one of those subjects you find wildly conflicting info on.

Reactions: D60
I used dielectric silicone grease. I hope that wasn't bad. This is one of those subjects you find wildly conflicting info on.
I couldn't find clear info. some said to strictly use silicon grease but i wanted to be in the safe side when it comes to Cat & O2 and found a post here or somewhere else (can't remember) suggesting the Super Lube. The Super Lube multipurpose Technical data showed it can be used with o-rings and it is compatible with Viton (FKM) & Nitrile (NBR). The Super Lube brand makes another product for o-rings but it has silicon. I wrote to Fel pro asking about the material they use for Injectors O-rings but never heard back yet. Maybe Trav can elaborate on what kinda material is used in these O-rings? Thanks!

Well anything used on an injector o-ring is going to be a relatively small amount and if liberated it will subsequently be subjected to the heat of combustion. That's going to render any silicone compound into a stable oxide pretty quickly. Where it can be an issue is on the downstream O2 sensor where you're past the combustion chamber.

FWIW all the service manuals for all my cars say to use a bit of engine oil on those rings.

Last time I did injectors on an '05 Escape I used KY personal lubricant. Still have it in the shop somewhere....always good for a laugh.

Trav, thanks for sharing this.

Yesterday I replaced a monster of a PCV valve assembly and the associated hoses (total assembly was massive- not the PCV valve itself) on a 2004 Lincoln Navigator with the 5.4l INtech engine. I thought I was being proactive by putting silicone paste on the vacuum hose ends and the pcv valve itself. Now I know that was a mistake, maybe a big one.
You will probably be fine, next time use old school WD-40 on hoses, they go on real easy and WD-40 has no silicone.

Is WD 40 silicone free?

"Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion," according to the web site. ... WD-40 does not contain fish oil, contrary to a popular myth, nor does it contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

Maybe Trav can elaborate on what kinda material is used in these O-rings? Thanks!
Most today are Viton there are still some Nitrile (Buna-n) still in the aftermarket. Either is resistant to oil and fuel, the Viton is more heat resistant.
Well anything used on an injector o-ring is going to be a relatively small amount and if liberated it will subsequently be subjected to the heat of combustion. That's going to render any silicone compound into a stable oxide pretty quickly. Where it can be an issue is on the downstream O2 sensor where you're past the combustion chamber.

FWIW all the service manuals for all my cars say to use a bit of engine oil on those rings.
If they are regular port injectors a thin film is not going into the intake runner unless you stuffed it full and then installed the injector, GDI with teflon/graphite seals need no lube.
Oil works but it is not great but it is safe hence the OE recommendation, regular old WD-40 works very well and is also idiot proof. Gasoline is very poor.

I have to put injectors in different styles fuel rails many times every day with O rings on them to test without contaminating the machines calibration fluid and filters which is over $100 a fill today so I get a bit of an idea what works.

You will probably be fine, next time use old school WD-40 on hoses, they go on real easy and WD-40 has no silicone.

Most today are Viton there are still some Nitrile (Buna-n) still in the aftermarket. Either is resistant to oil and fuel, the Viton is more heat resistant.

If they are regular port injectors a thin film is not going into the intake runner unless you stuffed it full and then installed the injector, GDI with teflon/graphite seals need no lube.
Oil works but it is not great but it is safe hence the OE recommendation, regular old WD-40 works very well and is also idiot proof. Gasoline is very poor.

I have to put injectors in different styles fuel rails many times every day with O rings on them to test without contaminating the machines calibration fluid and filters which is over $100 a fill today so I get a bit of an idea what works.
The grease (Super Lube in this case) provided easy glide PLUS it fixed the O-ring in its groove with excellent sealing! gasoline only, cheated me and i ruined two o-rings with big leak cause it didn't offer enough glide and fix the o-rings in place as any grease would do. Thank you!

Super Lube is just micro used Teflon in a PAO or “synthetic” grease. You’ll be fine.

“Sensor-safe” silicone means it doesn’t cure via release of acetic acid - automotive RTV is oxime-cure. But, there’s another reason to avoid silicone as a lubricant around engines except for spark plug boots - silicone reduces down to silica that can “coat” O2 sensors.

Back