What it's like to fly an airliner.

Thanks for posting and offering your insights! I love hearing stories about civil aviation. Every once in a while, I'll go through and listen to some ATC recordings, or just listen to it live ( https://www.liveatc.net/ )

I love the take off out of SNA. I try flying through there whenever I can (also to avoid LAX).

Thank you Astro. Always appreciate hearing from pilots. Got my A&P but never turned a wrench on an airplane. The airlines were up and down in the late 60s so I went to work in power generation where we had GE steam turbines with sixteen inch shafts turning sixty ton rotors st 3600 RPM.

If I was a pilot, my biggest struggle would be the restroom situation. I've been on a few 12+ hr flights in my day, but I can't imagine holding it that long. Do you guys have your own restroom? Once that door closes, it doesn't open once the plane is at the gate right?

Say out of a month, how many days are you "HOME"?

What do you typically do for food when traveling?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If I was a pilot, my biggest struggle would be the restroom situation. I've been on a few 12+ hr flights in my day, but I can't imagine holding it that long. Do you guys have your own restroom? Once that door closes, it doesn't open once the plane is at the gate right?

They can get up to use the bathroom. For safety and security reasons there must be two people in the cockpit at all times, so if the Captain or First Officer needs to get up one of the flight attendants has to go in the cockpit to take their place.

On long haul flights they have two crews that will switch out at some point during the flight, and there's a cabin for the other crew to sleep.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
What is the "sportiest" thing a commercial airliner- of any model is capable of?

Barrel Roll in a 707.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
One of my favorite flying memories is from a airliner landing, first of all we seemed to drop a bit abruptly on close approach but then had a big delay from that to the initial touch down.
Then we hit the ground harder than usual, and, oops, we were back up again. Another hard hit and back up!
We finally hit the ground to stay, but the plane was rotated about its longitudinal axis just a bit and we seemed to be rolling on only one side of the landing gear...then, bam, the other set is now on the ground!
All of us passengers were looking at each other with puzzled, yet amused, looks on our faces...the intercom comes on and we hear something like, "This is Captain Jones wishing to congratulate First Officer Smith on his first ever landing of a 737-XXX!!!"
There were some boos, some sarcastic cheering, and lots of noise in general from the passengers.
Then poor Smith had to stand by the cockpit door and bid farewell to the passengers, many of whom offered rude comments...he looked sort of like wanted to melt away and sort of like he wanted to punch a few people out. I just smiled and tipped my cap to him.

Is it common for a crew member to be shamed like this if he has a bit of trouble?

That's genuinely awful behavior on the part of the Captain. Truly awful...

It's not well known, but we train pilots in simulators. They're big, expensive, sophisticated machines that are certified by the FAA to provide sufficient realism so that no airplane experience is needed to be granted a type rating. Long sentence...but the point is this: when you're complete with training, you're ready to fly an airplane with passengers.

So, your first time flying an airplane is in revenue service, with passengers. Now, it's under the supervision of a specially trained Captain, but we don't fly airplanes just for pilot training any more. There was a time when you would take a 707 for a few laps around the field before flying with passengers, but we just don't do that any more.

Modern flight simulators are really awesome, though. At $25 million apiece, they represent quite an investment. UAL is updating our training center, renovating the building in Denver, selling older model simulators, buying new models, and models for new airplanes. When we're done this fall, we will have 32 full-motion simulators and 16 fixed based simulators.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

They can get up to use the bathroom. For safety and security reasons there must be two people in the cockpit at all times, so if the Captain or First Officer needs to get up one of the flight attendants has to go in the cockpit to take their place.

On long haul flights they have two crews that will switch out at some point during the flight, and there's a cabin for the other crew to sleep.

Two subjects here: augmented crew and bathroom breaks.

The basic rule for crews: for up to 8 hours, you need 2. For up to 12, you need 3. For up to 16, you need 4.

So, on a 9 hour flight on a 767, for example, you'll have two first officers. And while the flight over to, say, London, or Munich, might be 8 hours, you're crewed for the return flight (with headwind).

On the 747-400, 777 and 787, there are dedicated crew rest areas. The airplanes were built with crew rest in mind. The 747-400 has the best: a bunk room with two bunks that is connected to the cockpit. The 777 and 787 have bunk rooms that vary in location depending on airline, but they're not as quiet, and they require you to go through the cabin to access them.

On the 757/767 even though we are flying with augmented crew, we don't have a dedicated crew rest area, so we use a first class seat, with some form of curtain for privacy. Not the best, but it's what we've got.

For bathroom breaks, we use the same lavatory that you do, and we've got to have a second person in the cockpit. Someone to verify who's at the door when the pilot using the facilities comes back up. Some airlines use a camera and the pilot at the controls is alone in the cockpit. German Wings, for example, used that approach. I don't care for it personally...I would like that second person in the cockpit... So, if we've got an augmented crew, we're all set until that extra crew member heads back to the rest seat/area. If we've got a jump seater, we're all set. We often have a flight attendant as the second person.

Opening the door is a big deal at United. Remember 9-11? Cockpit access, and preventing people who shouldn't have access from gaining it is critically important for the safety of everyone on board. Not all airlines take the opening as seriously as we do. We block the entrance with a barrier, or service cart, with a flight attendant guarding it. So, going to the bathroom takes some coordination and planning. I really hate that aspect of the job...but I won't sit in discomfort, or limit my water intake, just because of it.

Dehydration is bad plan: leads to things like blood clots, kidney stones and poor cognitive performance. The job takes a lot out of you, physically, without running those additional risks. We already have more exposure to radiation than the general public and deal with sleep deprivation from circadian rhythm disruptions, particularly on international routes, as well as the deleterious effects of sitting all day...we really don't need to limit our water intake because of the administrative challenges of using the bathroom...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
My youngest son just got out of actvive duty with the USAF. He flew, and was an instructoir pilot, on the C-17. He just got a job with Delta and currently flies the A320. I have no clue where his passion for flying came from. I absolutely do not like flying. Nice thread Astro.

That's great! Thank him for his service, please, from me. Delta runs a great airline, I'm certain that he's excited to be there.

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted By: 757guy
. Astro,

I had a low altitude VNAV capture in a 757 after takeoff in BWI one night, the low altitude capture combined with a required turn right after takeoff caused the power to come back to idle as we had to level off at 2000' prior to a right turn. That rapid reduction in power caused our new hire lead flight attendant to become alarmed that we lost all power and she promptly called up front in an urgent manner to tell us that something was wrong. (Big no-no for flight attendants to call us below 10,000' unless there is a fire in the cabin or some other life threatening condition.)

You're right about SNA. It get's everyone's attention when that power reduction comes - and we have to stay low to avoid the inbound traffic into LAX.

You're also right about using FLCH. I use it all the time when step climbing for short changes, i.e., 7,000 to 9,000'. Some guys will go to VNAV and of course the power will come up and the airplane will start climbing like crazy only to have the power come back abruptly at ALT CAP with a corresponding slower than desired speed. FLCH is your friend below 10,000' is the old saying, but it works well in many circumstances.

Fly safe,

757Guy

Thanks. I am a big fan of FLCH. Pilots read the book and think that FLCH goes to full power or idle in every circumstance - and my simplistic explanation (abbreviated for BITOG) implied that it does. But actually, the FMS tries to achieve the target altitude in 2 minutes, so, if you select FLCH for a 1,000 foot change, the throttles will move to set a 500 FPM climb/descent. It's very mild, and completely predictable. It works the same every time.

Where guys get into trouble with FLCH is using it on a complex arrival/descent, like the RIVR into LAX, or the descent in Bogota, with all the crossing restrictions. You can't set the bottom of that arrival, FLCH will just dive down and ignore all the (often very important) crossing restrictions. Crews have slected FLCH when VNAV was unresponsive due to a programming error and ended up with a serious situation. You can't just select the next altitude because FLCH takes two minutes to get there and will end up not making the next restriction.

Anyway, the reason that I wanted to respond, aside from some detailed discussion about the jet, was to let you know that our flight ops folks about two years ago came out with a bulletin that said, basically, that ALL of our airplanes are sufficiently quiet that we can fly out of John Wayne without the whole procedure.

As you know, and for the benefit of everyone else, there are a sensors along the departure path leaving John Wayne to the Southwest. You've got to be above a certain altitude, and below a certain decibel level, to avoid tripping the sensors. Your airline gets a big fine for a noise violation. Now, the engineering folks are saying that we didn't have to pull the power that far back to stay below the decibel level? So, all of that procedural nonsense was not really needed?

You know: program for flap 20, full thrust, hold the brakes as autothrottle was selected, release them as takeoff power was achieved, rotation immediately at VR, fly the pitch command at 20-25 nose up, select climb mode at 1,100 feet (IIRC) and immediately and aggressively lower the nose to maintain V2+15...

We did all that to be at the right altitude, and throttled back, when we crossed the sensors...but our airplanes are quiet enough that we didn't need to do that?

All because Ed McMahon (or some group of celebrities) didn't like noisy airplanes flying over their beachfront houses?

Are you guys still doing that? The whole procedure was pulled from our Jepps when that bulletin came out a couple of years ago...

Early on in my ATC career before I knew my a@% from a hole in the ground, I attempted to jump a 757 over other enroute traffic while I had him sped up to .80+ for spacing to DFW. My instructor laughed at me, but the pilots gladly acknowledged and proceeded to do +2000FPM all the way to FL400 all while holding about .81+. Color me impressed. Granted this was an AA 57 so it was RB211 powered but I assume the PW2040s are identical in performance.

It's sad to watch them retire them in favor of the 738/9s and A321s. They have such a harder time getting around weather here in the midwest because they're stuck in the mid 30s.

The RB-211 powered airplanes are pretty impressive.

Even the PW 2037s we had at United were great airplanes, we've still got a few of them. They're all configured with an extra long first class and all economy plus. No regular economy. They do the EWR to SFO/LAX runs daily. All high yield customers doing the trans-con. Because of their light load, they get up and go quite well...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
My youngest son just got out of actvive duty with the USAF. He flew, and was an instructoir pilot, on the C-17. He just got a job with Delta and currently flies the A320. I have no clue where his passion for flying came from. I absolutely do not like flying. Nice thread Astro.

That's great! Thank him for his service, please, from me. Delta runs a great airline, I'm certain that he's excited to be there.

Cheers,
Astro

Thanks Astro. I'll pass that along to him. We are extremely proud of him. He knew from an early age what his dream job would be and he busted his back-side acheiving his goal.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Early on in my ATC career before I knew my a@% from a hole in the ground, I attempted to jump a 757 over other enroute traffic while I had him sped up to .80+ for spacing to DFW. My instructor laughed at me, but the pilots gladly acknowledged and proceeded to do +2000FPM all the way to FL400 all while holding about .81+. Color me impressed. Granted this was an AA 57 so it was RB211 powered but I assume the PW2040s are identical in performance.

It's sad to watch them retire them in favor of the 738/9s and A321s. They have such a harder time getting around weather here in the midwest because they're stuck in the mid 30s.

Here's a photo that shows the performance of the 757.
laugh.gif

You mentioned the 757 as being "sporty" at times, which made me recall a flight I had in a UPS 757 jumpseat back in the late 90s. I had to ferry a Cessna back to Maine from Kansas, and the selling dealer was a UPS contractor flying Caravans. I ended up flying in a Caravan to Manchester, NH, then in something else that I don't recall to Louisville, KY. From Lousiville I was in the jumpseat of a 757. At the time of takeoff, there were t-storms all around and the pilot informed me that the takeoff would be of the high-performance (i.e. sporty) variety. . . and he didn't disappoint! At that point in my life I had no idea what these jets were capable of when there were no live passengers on board. The steep climb to cruise altitude was impressive, as was the jinking around cumulonimbus build-ups--good times!

Regional FO(co-pilot, gear slinger) puke here. We're grossly underpaid and essentially do the same job as our mainline counterparts, but in smaller airplanes. All of the regionals are run by penny pinching slumlords. At my company, pilots are nothing more than overpaid workers on an account's ledger. I can't wait to upgrade and or GTFO.

I'm on E-175. It's a nice bird but has its quirks. The VNAV will NOT meet speed restrictions on an arrival. I almost always flip over to manual speeds and start slowing early or program a PBD(point, bearing, distance) to trick the FMS start slowing sooner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus
Regional FO(co-pilot, gear slinger) puke here. We're grossly underpaid and essentially do the same job as our mainline counterparts, but in smaller airplanes. All of the regionals are run by penny pinching slumlords. At my company, pilots are nothing more than overpaid workers on an account's ledger. I can't wait to upgrade and or GTFO.

I'm on E-175. It's a nice bird but has its quirks. The VNAV will NOT meet speed restrictions on an arrival. I almost always flip over to manual speeds and start slowing early or program a PBD(point, bearing, distance) to trick the FMS start slowing sooner.

I've jumpseated on just about every airplane out there. The E175 is a huge improvement over the 145. The vertical flight path display is nice, and while VNAV won't honor restrictions, you can see your vertical path graphically, which is a lot more than we've got...

As far as your career comments - I couldn't agree more. You're the victim of outsourcing and profit seeking. At UAL alone, we parked 200 airplanes, furloughed over 2,000 pilots, and outsourced all of that service to regionals 15 years ago. Inferior product at a lower price, and the tickets still sold...

But, as a pilot, your future is bright. We (UAL) will retire 70% of our seniority list, including me, in the next 15 years. The greatest generational hand off in any career field, ever. Numbers at DAL are similar.

PM me for details, but our contract offers you a big raise year one...which is great, when I was hired, I made $2,000/month, gross, my first year, which is RJ FO pay and a huge cut from the Navy. We were the last remnants of the B-scale. B-scale is gone. We also pay you 90 hours/month while in training, provide hotel, per diem, and pay for your uniforms.

Keep your applications current. Update them every month. Hang on just a bit longer and you'll GTFO - to a much better job!

Cheers,
Astro

Reactions: GON
I am always impressed with, and appreciate, the performance of modern airliners. It's not just takeoff and climb performance, it's also the incredible range and comfort of some models. We take it for granted as passengers, however, they really are "time machines" capable of moving us around the globe with "seemingly" relative ease.

In my world, the business jet, we have little "toys" compared to the big boys. Absolutely amazing in my eyes!

2hcl11e.jpg

Imagine if car driving had the same level of training & simulator practice as pro flying!
--- Perfect your timed scans
--- Stay alert to traffic
--- Practice emergency mechanical problems.
--- Check weather
It should be the same for us drivers.

Hey, I just took a UAL flight and only have 3 bruises! Pretty good.
Flight attendands at UAL handed out peanuts, band-aids.... (sorry, so many jokes, so little time)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus

Grossly underpaid by how much 25, 40, 50% ?

Back