Fun car/truck for $6000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most fun cheap car I ever had was an old carburated Audi 80 with HD Bilstiens and Yokahama 993's on alloy wheels, exhaust, etc. Never much drove with other folks in it, but that car was so well balanced that I could fly RxR crossings and come down flat. I got more tickets in that car than any other I ever owned - by far. And that's with a radar detector.

Once got busted on I-80 Donner Pass in the snow coming back from skiing cause the road was closed (our lodge let out after the closure). CHP was so p**d that I was doing 65+ in the snow with no chains (powder on hard pack) and he could hardly catch me with X-Chains (had the stereo cranked). I was just rally drivin my way down the hill. Sliding the sweepers and cruising on. That one was expensive.

Also got band from the Nany Base after passing the CO's wife in mid-air off a big RxR crossing. She went and yelled at her hubby that I was dangerous... So had to park off-base and ride in on a bicycle for 6 months. Still kept the car until I got an office job and needed a real commuter.

I was always looking for places to goose it and go sideways or catch some air. Drove it in the desert, snow, mud, and any wet street was a play ground for me. Had two sets of wheels and tires. Wet and dry. Ran the be-geezuz out of that car. Blew one engine, just built another and ran some more.

Prolly not what others would call fun, but was for me. Sort of like a 4 wheel dirt bike
laugh.gif

Think my wife would say her most fun car was a Sunbeam Alpine roadster back in the 1970's. One of my buds would say his was a Porsche 914 2.0 Wolfsburg edition.

These are not best cars ever owned, just most fun. You can see there is a range here. I'm looking for a decent Jeepster to stuff my fresh built 283 into, now that slow and scenic are more fun than fast and sideways
laugh.gif

But with the top down and that motor, it will still bark the tires and pass amost stuff on the on ramps. Plus it will cruise the desert with ease. If I can't find a Jeepster in a few years, I'll settle for a Cj ...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The most fun you can at that price is a good used Miata. Top down, great handling, stick shift, you get the idea. The modern spirit of the old British roadsters.
I'd also recommend a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky, same reasons. Fun.

Yup, this!

I can't disagree with the Miata, either. I had one for many years. They're fantastic.

Quote:
Surprised to see 2000-2007 Porsche Boxsters for $6-7000
Really? I thought they were quite a lot more expensive than that.

Originally Posted By: 555
If I'm not mistaken, a Boxster oil change requires the engine to be dropped. The first generation(2.7 litre) were on the slow side, but all generations are good drivers cars.

Yeah you are mistaken.

E36 M3

Just bought a very clean convertable last July.
Parts are cheap and very reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
E36 M3

Just bought a very clean convertable last July.
Parts are cheap and very reliable.

The E36 M3 is a terrific car but very undervalued; I'm still considering picking one up before prices go nuts.

You can get a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo at a good price nowadays, they are great cars.

The problem with buying a $6000-$7000 Porsche is that there are likely thousands of dollars of repairs needed. Someone mentioned the fact that the engine had an intermediate shaft that could fail easily, and replacing that is expensive.

I got my latest Mustang (2000 GT) for 2K and will have about 4-4.5K in it when it's done and it will be good as new. There are deals out there if you're mechanically inclined. My advice is to get something with a good engine/tranny but may need painted, etc. And get something unmolested. If there is even a hint of some kid or boy racer flogging it pay lowball money. Those cars will have the most problems. I'm a former bodyman so I prefer doing body work over motor work, esp on late model cars. It all depends on what you want.

1990 300Z I'm helping a friend work on. I can barely fit in it, but the dog is having fun lol. Car had a bad injector, throttle position sensor and needed a new radiator. Some other little things that I can't remember and needs a paint job and driver's seat upholstery now. The car was 1500 bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

1990 300Z I'm helping a friend work on. I can barely fit in it, but the dog is having fun lol. Car had a bad injector, throttle position sensor and needed a new radiator. Some other little things that I can't remember and needs a paint job and driver's seat upholstery now. The car was 1500 bucks.

SWEET!! I'm so glad it's bone stock too! Completely stock one are becoming rare as hen's teeth.

The problem I see is not exactly finding an unmodified 300ZXTT. The problem I see is people installing really ridiculous looking parts on them, installing a loud BOV, and exhaust systems that sound like angry bees.

If I saw a 300ZTT that had parts from the last few years of Fairlady Z32 or from Nismo, I would love it. From around 1998 to 1999, there were some styling changes that weren't too obvious or too subtle. In addition, they had HID headlights direct from the factory.

The Z we're working on has a cat-back exhaust, but it sounds decent. Not too loud. It's not a turbo, though, but seems to have decent power. I don't think my 2000 Mustang GT has much on it. I think they would run pretty even in a race, but the Z seems like it would def out handle the GT. BTW the Z and the Mustang I'm working on are going to be left as stock as possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The Z we're working on has a cat-back exhaust, but it sounds decent. Not too loud. It's not a turbo, though, but seems to have decent power. I don't think my 2000 Mustang GT has much on it. I think they would run pretty even in a race, but the Z seems like it would def out handle the GT. BTW the Z and the Mustang I'm working on are going to be left as stock as possible.

I think my stock Sportwagen would hang with an NA 300ZX - a $450 tuner and better rubber and I'd hang in with your GT.
Stock, I'm sure the GT easily outpaces the Z. Without the TT the Zs were not that impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back