M1 0w-40--different pkg, different spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if previously discussed.....was at an AdvAuto store today and noticed that the above in the 5 qt jug was certified for BMW LL-01; same oil in the 1 qt bottle was not. ?????

If it shows "BMW LL-01" spec, it's old stock. It was reformulated over a year ago, and it has lost BMW certification in the process.

The new stock has little "FS" letters on the label.

Thanks Pete--funny what you find....went to WMart right after and the Castrol Edge 0w-40 in the 5 qt jug ($22.97! Such a deal) was made in Belgium while the 1 qt bottle of same was from Germany.

Last edited:
I was just sorta thumbing through all the Euro-spec oils on the shelf the other day, and it seemed to me that the vast majority do NOT carry LL-01. A few do, quite a few carry LL-04... but LL-01 is getting scarce, at least among the big names. In particular I was interested in the fact that Pennzoils "Euro" badged Platinum 0w40, like M1 0w40, no longer carries it.

Seems to me that something's afoot. Either its getting harder to meet with newer restrictions imposed by other approvals that are more widespread, or else LL-01 is just about OBE.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
In particular I was interested in the fact that Pennzoils "Euro" badged Platinum 0w40, like M1 0w40, no longer carries it.

Has Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 ever carried that spec?

Their 5w-40 still does, alas, not available at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In particular I was interested in the fact that Pennzoils "Euro" badged Platinum 0w40, like M1 0w40, no longer carries it.

Has Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 ever carried that spec?

Their 5w-40 still does, alas, not available at Walmart.

Good point... I'm not sure as its only recently that I've been able to actually FIND that oil on shelves. Their Euro 5w40 still shows to carry LL-01 on the website, but I'd swear it was not on the jug I saw in the store (I'll check again next time I go back).

Their Euro 5w40 still shows to carry LL-01 on the website, but I'd swear it was not on the jug I saw in the store (I'll check again next time I go back).

Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 does not come in jugs, AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
So, what's the skinny on the re-formulation?

Lots of threads on here about it. Arguments and opinions both ways.

I was just sorta thumbing through all the Euro-spec oils on the shelf the other day, and it seemed to me that the vast majority do NOT carry LL-01. A few do, quite a few carry LL-04... but LL-01 is getting scarce, at least among the big names. In particular I was interested in the fact that Pennzoils "Euro" badged Platinum 0w40, like M1 0w40, no longer carries it.

Seems to me that something's afoot. Either its getting harder to meet with newer restrictions imposed by other approvals that are more widespread, or else LL-01 is just about OBE.

Well, LL-04 and LL-01 are aimed at completely different engines.
But, as far as I know, BMW also updated LL-01 and make it more stringent if not hardest to meet. All these updates lately are aimed at CBU issues that DI engines have. What is really strange, MB229.5 has more stringent deposit requirements then MB229.51.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
What is really strange, MB229.5 has more stringent deposit requirements then MB229.51.

Link?

Btw, there are now also mb 229.6 and mb 229.71 specs.

Originally Posted By: claluja
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
So, what's the skinny on the re-formulation?

Lots of threads on here about it. Arguments and opinions both ways.

I've read most of 'em. Lots of heat and precious little light. The VOA seemed unremarkable. I was hoping someone could summarize the differences and hopefully benefits of new vs old. But I just bought a case through Costco online (for $4.50/qt) and they shipped (free) from CA which I thought was a little strange.

I use it in my air cooled, filterless Honda 4-stroke mower haha. Toughest oil application in my garage. I also like to use it for top off in my Tahoe 5.3L which burns a quart every 5-6,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back