Trans Fluid Change Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have this 96 Ford Bronco XL I picked up to tinker with and hit some of the back roads to fish and hike. It's a 5.0, MD05 R2 5 spd with 259k miles on it. I have no idea how it was cared for in it's time but, I figure it was used to tow at some point because it has a hitch added and had helper springs. I was changing out the trans fluid and the magnetic plug had lots of particles and sludge. I also found the following:

It shifts ok, doesn't have slop in the shifter. Any thoughts about this (outside of start saving up for a new one)?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
You can put that dime you found in there toward a new tranny!

I was really thinking about posting something smart about the dime..
crackmeup2.gif

I personally would look for a junkyard unit. The dime would go further too.

Consider a thicker manual trans fluid ....... and walk away from any ATF, never mind it's bean-counter Factory spec'ed.

Edit:(Roller) bearing is worn, I guess.

Last edited:
That kind of looks like the washers in the shifter bushing assembly but you said the truck shifts fine. When I changed my bushings they were intact but brittle. If it shifts fine, then just let her be. And save your pennies for a rebuild I guess. I have 244k on mine and it still shifts nice. The fluid I dont think was ever changed in it though. Make sure those three plugs on the back of the top plate of the tranny are intact or youll lose fluid.

The dime got tossed in by some smart technician being funny - ha, ha ...

The bits are another concern. May be a bearing cage coming apart, or it could be some more funny man toss-ins. Neither will go through the filter. If the tranny is acting OK, I'd just keep going.

I change tranny fluid on my Bronco every 50K. Works like a champ. But you have a few more miles than I do.

Did you actually find the DIME in the tranny pan? OR, are you using it as a reference for size compared to the other pieces of debris that was in the pan?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Did you actually find the DIME in the tranny pan? OR, are you using it as a reference for size compared to the other pieces of debris that was in the pan?

I put the dime in the picture for a size reference.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I put the dime in the picture for a size reference.

Thanks, good to know!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
It the transmission works fine, don't worry about it.

Best advice.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Get an inline magnefine filter.

How is a Magnefine going to work on a MANUAL transmission with no cooler lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back