Waterless Anti-freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the skinny on "Waterless Anti-freeze"? At $30+ a gl. it promises to protect, never boil over, supreme heat transfer, no electrolysis, 0 psi cooling system, etc...
I am intrigued, anyone with experience/knowledge of this product?

"Evans Cooling high performance waterless engine coolant is a proprietary base fluid with a specially-formulated inhibitor package designed for all gasoline, light-duty diesel, LP, and CNG engines. It contains no silicates or phosphates, and requires no supplemental coolant additive. This coolant has a boiling point of 375 degrees F and will not vaporize--eliminating overheating, boil-over, and after-boil. The low vapor pressure reduces stress on the engine cooling system components. Evans Cooling high performance waterless engine coolant will also eliminate corrosion and offers protection to temperatures as low as -40 degrees F.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If it was better everyone would use it.

But only if cheaper. What we have has been working decently enough for the majority of people.

My understanding is that Evan's is great for stuff that is long "obsolete". If you can't buy a new radiator (or heater core) for your whatever, Evan's might be the ticket.

I believe it's "Rawze" on youtube did a few videos on this. He had a leaky EGR cooler on a diesel 18 wheeler and ran it. Apparently it turned to sludge?

While the coolant can withstand boiling up to 375 deg F....the oil wouldn't be happy up there. How's the heat transfer on this stuff compared to water?

Originally Posted By: Geoff1200
What is the skinny on "Waterless Anti-freeze"? At $30+ a gl. it promises to protect, never boil over, supreme heat transfer, no electrolysis, 0 psi cooling system, etc...
I am intrigued, anyone with experience/knowledge of this product?

You get a higher boiling point, yes. But that is all, and for a non-compromised modern cooling system that isn't anything to worry about. The thermostat will continue to regulate the engine temperature same as with a water/glycol mixture.

Corrosion isn't the issue they make it out to be. A modern antifreeze has adequate corrosion inhibitors and as long as your mixture is within the recommended range then you won't have issues with corrosion.

The freezing point will be elevated over a mixture however, so if that is a concern you're better off with a water/glycol mixture.

Other than that there's no reason you couldn't use it but on the other hand there really isn't any advantage at least for modern vehicles with a properly operating cooling system.

I looked into Evans coolant years ago. I was told that they sell a flush to get out all the old coolant before you use the Evans coolant. I was also told that Evans coolant will leak from very small leaks that most coolants will not leak from.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
While the coolant can withstand boiling up to 375 deg F....the oil wouldn't be happy up there. How's the heat transfer on this stuff compared to water?

It has to be less. What "supreme heat transfer" means is unclear.

cp.gif

My understanding is that KSCHACHN has it right. The Evan's coolant simply can't carry enough heat with it to the radiator because of it's relatively low specific heat capacity. This is okay in older engines with huge water jackets and over sized rads but todays engines are slimmed down to the minimum to save weight. It's the wrong fluid for today's engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back