CVT, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I assume car makers keep trying to get us to like them because they are cheaper to install, because I sure can't think of any other reason.

CVTs give higher City MPGs because they always maintain the engine at its most efficient point (whereas geared transmissions do not). Honda's CVTs are majorly flawed. The belt works okay, but the pulleys are constantly changing size, and that makes them die prematurely (60,000 miles). I chose the manual shift instead.

Prius CVT is better for longevity, but it still has that "rubberband" feel that drivers hate. It also randomly revs-up the engine to charge the battery, so the sound is disconnected from what you're actually doing with your foot.

And Prius has no manual option.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I called a few shops for transmission service quotes. When I told them it's a cvt they no-quoted

That's because the shops use standard manual or automatic fluid, and neither is suitable for a CVT. (I'm hoping you used the right cvt fluid in your car.)

141k on my moms 07 Altima. The CVT works very well in the car. Not a single issue. I didn't like them at first either. After driving it about 400 miles over a 2 week period I loved it.

I bought the 4 speed auto in the Versa in lieu of the CVT despite the lower MPG ratings. I understand it's the future but I'm not sure the CVT's are perfected yet.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
CVTs give higher City MPGs because they always maintain the engine at its most efficient point (whereas geared transmissions do not). Honda's CVTs are majorly flawed. The belt works okay, but the pulleys are constantly changing size, and that makes them die prematurely (60,000 miles). I chose the manual shift instead.

Prius CVT is better for longevity, but it still has that "rubberband" feel that drivers hate. It also randomly revs-up the engine to charge the battery, so the sound is disconnected from what you're actually doing with your foot.

And Prius has no manual option.

Care to share your source of Honda CVTs being "majorly flawed" and prematurely failing GM at 60,000 miles? I hang out on CRV and Accord forums and, other than an issue that required a quick reprogram, have yet to hear of a single CVT problem. And some of the CVT Accords have well over 100k. Pulleys "constantly changing size" is kinda what CVTs do...

The CVT was the only option in the Forester XT.
The biggest issue I have with it is a delay that I thought was turbo lag, but is actually caused by the CVT operation/programming. The newer twin scroll turbos Subarus have actually have minimal lag, but they have managed to reintroduce the annoyance through the transmission. You can get around it to some extent by turning off the traction control and rolling it out even just a tiny bit if applicable, but I can't avoid it completely. I have read that the CVT in the WRX has much less delay, but can barely fit in those things and they aren't much use to me for ski trips...of course, you can also get a manual in those.

The thing I like most about the CVT is the super smooth pull I get once I get going...the thing just won't quit. I turn out of my neighborhood onto an uphill portion of a busy road, and trying to pull up that slope starting at low speed always befuddled the 5 speed in my "RAV6"...the FXT just pours it on smoothly all the way up. I have found that little WOT runs to get in front of traffic after a light and before a merge, for example, will take me to 80mph so smoothly that I need to pay extra attention to not be risking a monster ticket.

I assumed that I would be using the paddle shifters exclusively for sporty driving, but the response time is way too slow for that. They are super handy for driving in bad winter conditions and especially like using them for engine braking on slippery downhills. They are also good for times when I really need to pour it on suddenly from a moderate speed, like on an onramp when a gap in heavy traffic opens up all of a sudden...I give the downshift paddle a stab to move up in revs, and it somehow seems to respond more quickly than when trying to step through gears in pure manual mode.

I worry about the durability of the thing and high repair costs, but the CVT has been working OK for me so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
Care to share your source of Honda CVTs being "majorly flawed" and prematurely failing GM at 60,000 miles? I hang out on CRV and Accord forums and, other than an issue that required a quick reprogram, have yet to hear of a single CVT problem. And some of the CVT Accords have well over 100k. Pulleys "constantly changing size" is kinda what CVTs do...

The "...GM..." insert was a result of my machine thinking it was smarter than me. And given I didn't see it until now, maybe it was right...

Though Honda CVTs actually failing General Motors is an interesting concept.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
My wife's '14 Rogue is my first foray into the CVT world. Funny how at times it attempts to "shift" like a normal automatic (in certain load conditions). Generally, it's not a big deal but when you need that passing power, the Rogue at least feels VERY under-powered. I think it is a combination of the weak 2.5L (not even DI) and the CVT.
I also purchased a 10yr/120K miles bumper-to-bumper warranty due to my concerns with how well the CVT might hold up.
One comment: Make sure you change (via the dealer so they have a record) the ATF at 30K mile intervals. Manual says 60K miles but dealer told me they are seeing many issues (requiring replacements - no rebuilds are allowed) if the AFT is not changed till 60K miles. Better safe than sorry and it's really not that expensive (~$130).

My 2010 Maxima had a little over 80K on the clock, with the original CVT fluid, when I traded it. The only problems my dealer had ever seen with most of them ended with the owner's admitting to using non OE fluid.

While I didn't always appreciate some of the "motor boating," it was rarely an issue. My 2016 Maxima is drastically improved over the 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back