Anyone actually have good service from a late model Nissan with CVT?

I had a 2016 Rogue that I bought at 103,000 miles. It was a sales rep turn in from a lease company and had excellent maintenance. I changed the CVT fluid when I bought it and was about to do it a 2nd time at 150k miles when it was t-bone by a meth-head who for got to put her Excursion in park.

The CarFax had no line item for a transmission change, so I assume it was the original transmission.

It had mostly highway miles on it, which helped.

Now I have a 2019 Rogue with 30k miles and a fresh CVT fluid change with Nissan CVT fluid. It’ll get changed again at 60k miles.
Change out the cooler filter at your next cvt drain and fill.

One of my coworkers has a 10+ year old Rogue, he changes the oil maybe every 15,000 miles and he's never touched the transmission. I think it has 150,000 miles. I have a new respect for Nissan.
I really like driving Nissan vehicles. I personally have had less issues with NISSAN vehicles than I have had with Honda, Toyota or Mazda vehicles. Not that any of them were disasters however in terms of repairs & cost, NISSAN's were better for me in the ~10 years of ownership per vehicle.

It's too bad NISSAN has this poor reputation(according to statistics and deservingly so), as this does effect their resale/trade-in value and the desire for others to buy them used. I would love to see NISSAN get all of that good reputation back. The vehicles that are most likely to have the(or among the) "lowest customer satisfaction" are NISSANs and personally, the vehicles that I don't have issues with and the vehicles that I prefer driving most.

Got 103k miles out of my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder and the CVT was perfect. I did do multiple drain/fills on it. Unfortunately the engine's timing chains started making noise, so I got rid of the vehicle before I wanted to because of that.

I would not avoid a late model Nissan for fear of it's CVT.

I think you should look at the demographic of people who purchase lower cost Nissan's and their behavior as to maintenance. If you buy the cheapest vehicle available perhaps you don't spend the money on maintenance. Maybe the cost of oil changing is outside the budget? Plug and play....how many miles can you extend the oil service interval, 50,60,70k miles?Maybe I am prejudiced but I feel that folks that don't have the wherewithal to purchase a better car, end up with low line models at horrendous interest rates with forever payments.

I think you should look at the demographic of people who purchase lower cost Nissan's and their behavior as to maintenance. If you buy the cheapest vehicle available perhaps you don't spend the money on maintenance. Maybe the cost of oil changing is outside the budget? Plug and play....how many miles can you extend the oil service interval, 50,60,70k miles?Maybe I am prejudiced but I feel that folks that don't have the wherewithal to purchase a better car, end up with low line models at horrendous interest rates with forever payments.
I will go further than that.

If you watch how people drive CVT's - it seems to be to the floor all the time. The CVT manages the gearing transition seamlessly. I don't know how many times I have been sitting at a light, it turns green and the Versa next to me runs full throttle to the next light. This can't be good. If they felt it slamming gears, they might lift a little.

I will go further than that.

If you watch how people drive CVT's - it seems to be to the floor all the time. The CVT manages the gearing transition seamlessly. I don't know how many times I have been sitting at a light, it turns green and the Versa next to me runs full throttle to the next light. This can't be good. If they felt it slamming gears, they might lift a little.
I wonder if a CVT increases clamping pressure on the belt/chain with increased torque load? If it doesn't then I guess it really doesn't matter that much if you have it matted or not? I suspect too that the Versa is the least loaded vehicle that CVT is in as well.

I could buy a reman CVT from the dealer 3 years ago for under $1400, and did, for an 80,000 mile 2013 Versa. Nissan only gives a one year warranty which tells you how confident they are in that transmission. A year and a half after selling the car, the buyer calls me saying the transmission is acting up. Today they are near $2,000 for the transmission alone. Not worth replacing on a Versa older than 4 or 5 years old.

In my view a spotty record is just as bad as a poor record.

A good friend has a 2016 Pathfinder with the CVT. Per my recommendation he's been having the fluid changed regularly, and it has given him no problems so far. The vehicle is easy on gas for its size and weight.

JATCO CVT's sounds like a nightmare!
We got 200k of service from oilBabe's 2010 Altima 2.5

Three fluid changes, at roughly 60k intervals. IIRC, I used the Castrol or Valvoline NS-2 compatible CVT fluid. IIRC, it was about 5 quarts each drain and fill and a new filter.

I found the car to be miserable to drive, but it worked for us.

We sold the car at 200k to a teen who was buying her first car. I told her she should have the fluid changed in 40k miles if she still had the car.

Doesn't this transmission have a hidden filter than needs to be changed out?
Filter in the pan,

IMG_1327.JPG

and another one in a cup on the side,

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

In our family , we had two CVTs (Altima & Versa) go out. The Altima was sold as is for basically nothing and the Versa ( only had 67k miles or so) was a 6k repair bill. Needless to say, there will be no more Nissans purchased in our family.

This was my nephew's Versa. That was the transmission plus the install. My brother-in-law didn't want to mess with that job.

Filter in the pan,

and another one in a cup on the side,

I'm going to be doing the filters on our 2019 this spring. It'll be around 27K miles by then ... I've been racking up the miles on it . I did drain/fill the fluid last spring at 16k miles. Hoping for at least 100k out of it.

A coworker of mine said his Nissan Versa was the best car he ever had until he sold it and bought a new Prius. He said all he had to do with the Versa was add gas and change the fluids, tires, and brakes. He sold the Versa with just under 200K miles. He now says the Prius is the best car he's ever had.

My best friend had a first gen Murano that the CVT crapped out around 80K miles, it was replaced under warranty and quickly sold because he didn't want to own a vehicle that had major surgery done by someone else. But that was not a late model Nissan CVT.

My Dad has a 2011 Rogue with around 180K on original CVT still going. I think he changed the fluid once around 100K.

Back