Anyone actually have good service from a late model Nissan with CVT?

It's a shame their CVTs are so problematic because the Sentra and Altima are nice cars.
I'm not sure which engines are true Nissan designs and which have Renault influence but the SR20D (IIRC)
in my 1992 Sentra SER was an awesome DOHC 2.0. Nissan's 'French Connection' hurt them IMO.

365,000 plus miles on my Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ…

Driven near redline daily the whole time I had the car. 95 percent of the miles were open highway cruising at 63-79 mph. Though I did regularly run the car up to 100 to 105 mph has well in certain undisclosed locations.. . :LOL:

Family member has ~7 year old Rogue with Jatco CVT. I didn't encourage purchase, nor would I buy for myself. That said, I have done one d&f on CVT using Valvoline dedicated CVT fluid. Now in mid 60's odometer range, and still shifting seemingly ok. Knock wood! Despite my feelings about the purchase, I have helped out regularly with maintenance on the vehicle.

As for Nissan, in my opinion (and experience), they lost their way with the Renault Alliance under now fugitive from justice, and crook Carlos Ghosn. Having lost a very well maintained 03 Altima 2.5L engine to the well documented pre-cat converter fiasco, why I say also 'in my experience'. My.02

Last edited:
My 2019 Altima has 45,400 miles with no issues whatsoever. My last car was a 2008 Altima with a CVT and also had no issues over the 130,000 miles I put on it. This in spite of the fact that I live in the mountains with Dolly Parton roads (hills & curves) and never added or changed the CVT oil.

I had a 2016 Rogue that I bought at 103,000 miles. It was a sales rep turn in from a lease company and had excellent maintenance. I changed the CVT fluid when I bought it and was about to do it a 2nd time at 150k miles when it was t-bone by a meth-head who for got to put her Excursion in park.

The CarFax had no line item for a transmission change, so I assume it was the original transmission.

It had mostly highway miles on it, which helped.

Now I have a 2019 Rogue with 30k miles and a fresh CVT fluid change with Nissan CVT fluid. It’ll get changed again at 60k miles.

Yes, a 2014 Versa Note, right now 265K miles on the OD. Dealer serviced cvt for the first 200k.

Around 200k ran low on fluid(leak in tube by radiator) was slipping and no reverse. Did multiple dump-fills and came back to life.

Since 200k been doing a drain refill with Valvoline CVT fluid.

Maybe 7 years ago I picked up a high mileage Hertz 2015 Altima S strippie; even the glove box was missing. I quickly serviced the CVT with Valvoline 3 times over the first 6 months. Original stuff was nasty. She has 183K now; I have used Valvoline and Castrol every 25K since the original 3 services. I purchased a trans dip stick off EBAY to simplify services.

You can't kill this car.

I work with 2 people that owned Nissan CVT vehicles. One lived in town and scrapped his at 80k miles when the CVT blew up. The other has almost 200k on his and it hasn't failed yet but he drives all steady highway and is very gentle on vehicles.
Edit: when I worked at a Goodyear garage still I didn't even realize they had CVTs when the first one failed. It was a rogue with about 70k put on it only 2 years old. A company car for one of the pharmaceutical companies. Anyway it blew up and the car was retired and not fixed. The second one was an Altima they belonged to a coworkers friend. Don't remember mileage but it was low and it was slipping badly.

Family member has ~7 year old Rogue with Jatco CVT. I didn't encourage purchase, nor would I buy for myself. That said, I have done one d&f on CVT using Valvoline dedicated CVT fluid. Now in mid 60's odometer range, and still shifting seemingly ok. Knock wood! Despite my feelings about the purchase, I have helped out regularly with maintenance on the vehicle.

As for Nissan, in my opinion (and experience), they lost their way with the Renault Alliance under now fugitive from justice, and crook Carlos Ghosn. Having lost a very well maintained 03 Altima 2.5L engine to the well documented pre-cat converter fiasco, why I say also 'in my experience'. My.02
My brother lost his ‘02 Altima 2.5 to the same issue, along with basically rusting the floor plans clean off. Only the carpet stopped “Fred Flintstone” syndrome. (Granted, I tried to warn him about both flaws before they happened, but he listened to his doofus indy instead of me). They just don’t seem to be built to last anymore, unlike the Datsuns & very early Nissans of old that ran to body disintegration.

I had a 2013 versa that I never changed the cvt fluid in that I sold at 150,000 miles, still ran fine. Currently have a 2016 rogue with 100,000 miles that I've changed the fluid in twice with Idemitsu. No issues but plan on keeping for as long as possible. With a drain plug and fill tube why not?

I have seen that failure also. My friends neighbor had one that smoked like a chimney and burned a ton of oil because of the cat converter coming apart.
Should also mention my coworker with the Rogue that hasn't failed yet has a catalyst efficiency code so it may come to this fate instead of the CVT failure. One or the other will do it in.
He did have CV axle failure which was an expensive repair at lower mileage, also common on these apparently.

I have a 2014 Nissan rogue at 84k miles. Unknown maintenance history. I changed the fluid at 75k with castrol CVT. Been fine so far, but I don’t trust it to go far. I baby this car like mad, very gentle acceleration. I hope this driving style will prolong its life.

It seems to be hit or miss. My Niece has a Murano with high miles - don't know the year, and she hasn't had a problem.

They supposedly improved them in 2020 for the third generation, adding lower gearing at the starting end and a cooler. Although given that is fairly recently we probably don't have enough history. Nissan seems to be moving back to multi speed transmissions, at least in their bigger vehicles. So that would indicate there not convinced either.

(y)
Mine was fine. IDK when it would die but it did what it was designed to do ~9 yrs/90K.
I did 3 D&Fs during my tenure and AFAIK, it's still running fine for the next owner.

Back