CVT, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Will prove to be the future of transmissions when the high torque limit is solved. Ed

+1

Will prove to be the future of transmissions when the high torque limit is solved. Ed

Maybe in Subaru or Honda.
Maybe it will be in majority of cars, but it is still POS. Not only that, but it is simply annoying. I guess not problem for buyers of those cars.

It takes getting used to. We test-drove a Scion with a CVT and artificial shift points earlier this year. Didn't care for it since the shift points neutered the car and it felt too rubber-band-like. If it's a CVT, own it! And educate owners about the benefits and what to expect.

With more power, it sounds like they're fine.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It takes getting used to. We test-drove a Scion with a CVT and artificial shift points earlier this year. Didn't care for it since the shift points neutered the car and it felt too rubber-band-like. If it's a CVT, own it! And educate owners about the benefits and what to expect.

With more power, it sounds like they're fine.

Agree. They might be good solution for a lot of appliance cars since owners anyway do not care what they drive as long as it is rolling down the street.

No issues whatsoever on my 2014 Corolla that I average around 38mpg and my tranny only spins at 1700rpm at 70mph on level ground.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Maybe it will be in majority of cars, but it is still POS. Not only that, but it is simply annoying. I guess not problem for buyers of those cars.

As a diehard manual trans guy, I am actually intrigued with the CVT and we plan to get one with our next Subaru in a few years. I have driven a couple and they are not annoying to me, just different.

CVT's actually minimize the most annoying feature(?) of traditional automatics, the abrupt kickdown into a lower gear when accelerating from a steady speed. The CVT technology seems to be proving itself but there is always resistance to change.

My wife's '14 Rogue is my first foray into the CVT world. Funny how at times it attempts to "shift" like a normal automatic (in certain load conditions). Generally, it's not a big deal but when you need that passing power, the Rogue at least feels VERY under-powered. I think it is a combination of the weak 2.5L (not even DI) and the CVT.
I also purchased a 10yr/120K miles bumper-to-bumper warranty due to my concerns with how well the CVT might hold up.
One comment: Make sure you change (via the dealer so they have a record) the ATF at 30K mile intervals. Manual says 60K miles but dealer told me they are seeing many issues (requiring replacements - no rebuilds are allowed) if the AFT is not changed till 60K miles. Better safe than sorry and it's really not that expensive (~$130).

I drove a 2015 Nissan Sentra 1300 miles the other month and hated every minute of the CVT. I'm sure around here it would be worst.

No CVT for me till I have to.. (ie no other choices)

Bill

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: edyvw

As a diehard manual trans guy, I am actually intrigued with the CVT and we plan to get one with our next Subaru in a few years. I have driven a couple and they are not annoying to me, just different.

CVT's actually minimize the most annoying feature(?) of traditional automatics, the abrupt kickdown into a lower gear when accelerating from a steady speed. The CVT technology seems to be proving itself but there is always resistance to change.

Depend on automatic transmission in the car you drive. I do not see anything annoying in ZF supplied automatics in BMW and Audi.
I am die hard manual guy too. Automatics so ,so. But CVT? I do not want to rent that POS after few encounters.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

No CVT for me till I have to.. (ie no other choices)

Bill

Me either.

The Prius solution works well. It works like a CVT but is a planetary transmission that acts like a CVT connecting one internal combustion engine with two electric motors. No shifting, no sliding, no slipping.

wife's '15 CRV has the CVT. I find it very respectable for most normal driving. There are days I actually miss it when I'm in the other car. What I like most about it is it holds the engine RPMs as low as possible, and in turn probably keeps the throttle pretty open. The driver experience is a lot of torque and go without a lot of revs and noise. It's not unlike driving the V8 truck around on a calm day - it never has to rev up. And if you have to pop the throttle, like to get around a stopped car in traffic, delivery is immediate and smooth without a gear change. The programming allows a surprising amount of gettyup off the line.

Flaw - it still rubber-bands on the interstate if abruptly lifting the throttle after accelerating. While I don't like it, a driver who's in tune with the car could adjust to compensate. I just don't drive it enough.

I think they have their place. I certainly appreciate the mpg. 27mpg combined in a 3500lb vehicle, with the A/C on all the time, heated seats.

It works great for my wife, who is not an enthusiast. And I don't mind either, I'm just not a CRV kinda guy.

-m

Not a huge fan of them. Not entirely against them, but I like my vehicles to feel alive and feel them do mechanical things, as long as something isn't broken. The 9 speed in my Cherokee is interesting, shifts like a Jeep. I like it.

I called a few shops for transmission service quotes. When I told them it's a cvt they no-quoted, so I did it @ 60k myself. We'll see how that works out. I bought a universal dip stick that's made for several Chrysler products but really all you need to do is measure the fluid that's drained, and replace the same amount. I like to drive the vehicle but I don't like the engine braking that engages @ 30mph and disengages @ 10.

If and when auto-makers start using Dana's Variglide CVP transmission commonly, many of the complaints about CVTs will go away. That technology "nu Vinci" on bikes has been competitive with the 14 gear internal hub Roloff even though the Roloff is lighter and has a wider gearing ratio which are important on bikes. And even electric vehicles will need it as electric velomobiles already use it.

Originally Posted By: rinkevichjm
If and when auto-makers start using Dana's Variglide CVP transmission commonly, many of the complaints about CVTs will go away. That technology "nu Vinci" on bikes has been competitive with the 14 gear internal hub Roloff even though the Roloff is lighter and has a wider gearing ratio which are important on bikes. And even electric vehicles will need it as electric velomobiles already use it.

I wouldn't call the Nu Vinci competitive with a Rohloff.
They fit in the same space and do the same basic job but are being used by two completely different user groups.

I'm not a big fan of them. I tested a couple and wasn't too impressed. The only one I was somewhat OK with was the Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back