Are there any high performance models with CVT's?

I am always surprised how slow the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are with CVT's. Even on relatively higher horsepower engines the numbers are pretty dismal. Can they be made to be as quick as torque converter transmissions or dual clutch transmissions with a software change?

The WRX. In the previous gen Nissan Sentra, they offered a rare turbo model with an either a stick or a CVT. That CVT had special diameter spools to make it sporty.
Was it quicker than the stick?

Correct me if I am wrong. Aren't CVT's programmed for best economy? Seems it would be simple for someone to program them for peak performance. Not sure of the quickness to selected ratio between"gears". You would think the speed of the ratio change could be programmed too. If it was fast enough it would stand to reason that it could compete with traditional transmissions. may not last very long...but that wasn't my question.

The Maxima has a 300hp VQ mated to a CVT. That's the highest output stock motor with a CVT that I'm aware of. 0-60 is a hair under 6 seconds.
Interesting. Do we know about longevity? Not bashing Nissan or CVTs, just curious

Interesting question.

I would think a CVT should be the fastest option since it can pretty much go right to the engines' peak hp rpm and hold there, whereas a conventional auto or stick will be doing its best to stay in the power band and only pass through that point briefly while cycling through the gears.

If it's actually slower, that would lead me to believe there must be some slippage or extra friction in there somewhere that would have to be turning that extra power into heat.

Interesting. Do we know about longevity? Not bashing Nissan or CVTs, just curious
The CVTs behind Maximas and Altimas with the V6 have probably the best track record at the company for longevity...they are beefed up compared to the units mated to the 4 cylinders but their reliability becomes spotty in the Pathfinder due to the added weight and potential towing duty. I had a 2014 Maxima with a CVT (290 hp) that I sold last year. 90k on the clock and no issues, but like all Nissan CVTs fresh fluid is key. The benefit of a CVT is holding the engine right in the peak power band. Doesn't sound cool but it always pulled nice and smooth on the highway.

The CVTs behind Maximas and Altimas with the V6 have probably the best track record at the company for longevity...they are beefed up compared to the units mated to the 4 cylinders but their reliability becomes spotty in the Pathfinder due to the added weight and potential towing duty. I had a 2014 Maxima with a CVT (290 hp) that I sold last year. 90k on the clock and no issues, but like all Nissan CVTs fresh fluid is key. The benefit of a CVT is holding the engine right in the peak power band. Doesn't sound cool but it always pulled nice and smooth on the highway.
I think you're right. The 2017+ Pathfinders had 284hp and per Nissan, could tow 6000lbs. Oddly, I've followed owner's threads where they towed IMO, way too large/heavy of travel trailers, etc with them and never had an issue while towing, while they seem to have lots of other issues overall. I had 103K on mine and the CVT did it's thing just like day one. I ran lots of fresh CVT juice though it though because it was so easy to drain/fill.

The third generation Xtronic that came out in around 2019 is supposed to be much better. Of course it doesn't have a lot of run time on it yet.

If Dashboard light is to be believed (and I do) it shows the 2009+ Maxima right at industry average for powertrain issues. https://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Nissan_Maxima.html

Reactions: D60
I was just thinking that theoretically if you could move the ratio fast enough it would be hard to beat by any transmission with separate gears. Real world experience is dismal in the lower horsepower vehicles it mostly comes in. Would be interesting if someone mated a performance version to a high horsepower engine, say above 500HP, and optimized performance above all else.

Plenty of high performance vehicles with CVTs out there…

IMG_3217.gif

Back