Foam pre filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I ordered replacement filter for my car and I made mistake and ordered one for high dust.
Looks like the only difference is the foam pre filter.

I don't think that I'm in a particular high dust area .. is this still ok to use ?

Its a Mahle LX20241/1

LX793-ZZ1-08-07-12.jpg

thx

It is fine, that foam, unless oiled, only stops leaves, butterflies, and low flying birds out of the paper. Doesn't stop dust at all.

That looks like a microgreen air filter except for the color.

Originally Posted By: old1
It is fine, that foam, unless oiled, only stops leaves, butterflies, and low flying birds out of the paper. Doesn't stop dust at all.

You are supposed to oil them before service. All foam pre-filters get oil. I have not seen one application that does not.

I would use a restriction gauge with any pre filter. I've seen pre filters clog up pretty fast, the pre filters I've used could all be cleaned and put back into service without touching the main filter. Don't know about yours.

ROD

For German vehicles (and a quick search shows the part number is for a Cayenne with the VW VR6 engine), the foam is for "cold weather climates", where the foam layer is there for catch snow that gets through the intake ducting, before it hits the cellulose filter. Secondary is it acts like a pre-filter.

I have one on my current car.
20160709_153118_zpsdomsmzkn.jpg

on my old TDI, when VW got rid of the of the snow screen (which commonly clogs with dirt) in the intake duct. VW put a "cold weather" filter, just like the one in my picture.

They are fairly common to VW. My car has snow screens AND the foam pre-filters.

My snow screens had my restriction gauges pegged. Night and day difference with them cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back