My 75k OE air filter

Looks fine!

From my 21 Prius Prime. Of note, I estimate I used electricity about 20% of the time. Its "lifetime achievement" MPG is 80. I get salt dust in winter and pollen in spring. I take my foot off the gas if I'm coasting into a particularly nasty dust cloud, LOL.

Replaced it with an Ultra-Power from Rock Auto. Well constructed, but fewer pleats.

IMG_20240307_170008.jpg

IMG_20240307_165941.jpg

IMG_20240307_165951.jpg

That is crazy clean for 75k. Personally, I've had a few fitment issues over the years when straying away from manufacturer air filters. I only use them now (Honda, Volvo). I'll go 3rd party with cabin air filters and even oil filters, but the slightest fit irregularity in an air filter can result in extra silcon in the oil and you'd never know if you didn't do a UOA.

Rough estimate is 60k miles of ICE time?
Actually that's not a bad life for an OE filter, in a reasonably clean environment. Most folks change their air filter way too frequently.

Looks fine!

From my 21 Prius Prime. Of note, I estimate I used electricity about 20% of the time. Its "lifetime achievement" MPG is 80. I get salt dust in winter and pollen in spring. I take my foot off the gas if I'm coasting into a particularly nasty dust cloud, LOL.

Replaced it with an Ultra-Power from Rock Auto. Well constructed, but fewer pleats.

View attachment 207121

View attachment 207122
View attachment 207123
Looks like a candidate for reuse after a few love taps.

Just curious...

You replaced an OEM filter that gave you, seemingly, outstanding service after 75K miles with "an Ultra-Power from Rock Auto. Well constructed, but fewer pleats"? Why?

Am I missing something?

Ed
Because I bought it sight unseen, and it arrived. Even if I only get 50k out of it, I'm money ahead. Like I said, it fits and seals fine. It's also a review on "Ultra Power" in this application in case anyone cares.

I credit the clean air here for my long service life. Any adequate construction is good by me. Changed the filter based on age if anything.

LOL at decelerating through the debris clouds (like tractor brush mowers on the side of the highway). Did you happen to have any UOA during this run? It surely looks like it did well for many miles no doubt.

Young man at work has 83,xxx on his 2019 Silverado with the turbo four cylinder. I helped him just change out the OE factory filter in the parking lot at work the other day with Fram from Wally World. I expected it to look worse but it wasn’t too bad considering most of the miles are highway.

Air filter intervals can vary widely. It all depends on vehicle operation conditions. I don't go by time or mileage but by its appearance.

Back