I really hate people on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of thoughts...

I have bought a lot off Craigslist, although I've never sold.

I collect Apple computers. Even though I can be a hard negotiator, mostly because I buy the kind of stuff I'm looking at often enough that I know what a fair price is. There is no price or rarity guide-Ebay is the best I get plus my own personal record. I actually take upgrades into account, and there are many instances where I've bought a piece specifically BECAUSE of a certain upgrade. That's often reflected in my offer-if it's a $20 computer(no upgrade) with a processor upgrade that I value at $100, my offer is going to be $100. In those case, I'm often valuing the piece only at the value of the upgrade. If I see an ad that is rediculously overpriced, I just skip it unless it's an item good enough to get me excited. The unfortunate thing is that many people see the Apple on it and think it's worth a gold mine.

Even so, I've developed some good relationships. Once I've bought from someone, they often come to me directly rather than posting. They know that I come with cash in hand and ready to deal.

My last vehicle purchase was about 60 miles away. I drove up once to look, then stayed in constant contact. The seller actually dropped the price a few times without my asking, and finally I-once again-went up with cash and bought it. Not too long ago, I was looking at a sort of rare MG that was just up the road from me. It was a 74 1/2 GT, which has the ugly rubber bumpers but there were 1200 and some imported to the US(GT imports ceased after the 75 m/y). Even so, it was attractively priced at his initial offer, but something felt "off" about the clutch when I drove it(the friction point was near the top of the travel). Someone else on the MG forum looked at the car and reported a slipping clutch. The seller eventually texted me and offered it to me for $2500($1K off his initial price) but I knew I had a transmission swap in my future with the roadster and didn't think I could handle two engine pulls within a couple of week
smile.gif
. There's also the fact that by the time I pay $150 for the new clutch, but by the time I cover all the "might as wells" I'm at $500 or better.

A year or so ago, I saw a for-sale ad posted in the barber shop. My barber really talked up the car and said he'd seen the car. I called the guy, then went over and drove the car that same day. Unfortunately, I hadn't done my research beforehand and realized he was over double book on the car(14K vs. 6K). I called him on Monday(I'd looked at the car on Saturday), explained the situation and just politely said "here's where I'm at" and offered 1K over book($7K). To me, it wasn't worth getting into an argument where I probably still wouldn't get to a price where I was happy. He countered with a condition and mileage argument, which were good arguments but not $7K arguments
smile.gif
. Again, very politely I said I was going to have to pass and wished him the best of luck on selling. I saw the seller at the barber shop a month ago, and he told me that he'd just decided to keep the car because it was "really nice and a lot of fun." I agreed with him fully on that, and we just had a nice chat in general.

NHHemi given the price point you mention you'll mostly attract the worst of Craigslist.

I own two upper mileage(150k & 300k) 10 year old vehicles that I'd never put on CL due to dirt bags I'd have to deal with. Instead I repair them instead of replacing until they die and then I donate or call salvage yard.

Been there, done this. It's all about perspective, whether wrong or right.

In buyer's eyes, recent major service is an indicator that the car is a real pile that is falling apart and likes to raid your wallet.

The slightly more informed start to ask themselves who did the work, and if it was even done correctly.

When selling a vehicle, I always keep that information to myself. It's a repellent for buyers.

It's a much better idea to simply put "well documented maintenance history", make it out to be a real cream puff, and get what you want that way.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
NHHemi given the price point you mention you'll mostly attract the worst of Craigslist.

I own two upper mileage(150k & 300k) 10 year old vehicles that I'd never put on CL due to dirt bags I'd have to deal with. Instead I repair them instead of replacing until they die and then I donate or call salvage yard.

Funny that you mention that-

When I bought my MG, I first called the guy and he was a bit hesitant on the phone when I initially called and asked if it was still available. Although not "cheap" it was in the price range where it starts to attract some bottom feeders. I asked some questions about the car that only someone truly interested in MGs would likely ask or care about. From the first question, he really started opening up about the car. When I went to look at it, the seller told me that he'd had it up for a week and that I was the only guy he'd talked to that he actually felt good about selling the car to
smile.gif
. He said he'd had a call from a lady that had seen the "cute convertible" and when he said it had 85,000 miles on it she said "that's too many" and lost interest. During my initial conversation, mileage was pretty far down on my list of concerns and when he volunteered the information I said I really didn't care about the mileage-more that it had been driven regularly and maintained.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
repairs generally do not increase the value of a car, it just makes it par.

I disagree when you are talking vehicles with 125K+ like this. On vehicles like that book value assumes the vehicles are running with 125K+ drivetrains. IF repairs have been done, like rebuilding the motor or trans, that most definitely ads value.

You just need to find the buyer who agrees.

Ignore those who don't. One of you will be proven to be right. If a buyer shows up with $700 and buys it, you were right. If the car languishes for 6 months at that price, the market is telling you otherwise.

I know you said it was a bad day. Therefore, when it's a better day, dump the emotional response and relax. It will sell at your price or it won't. No need to go over the edge about some knuckleheads who are trying to get a better price.

Be patient and wait to see who is right.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

You just need to find the buyer who agrees.

Ignore those who don't. One of you will be proven to be right. If a buyer shows up with $700 and buys it, you were right. If the car languishes for 6 months at that price, the market is telling you otherwise.

I know you said it was a bad day. Therefore, when it's a better day, dump the emotional response and relax. It will sell at your price or it won't. No need to go over the edge about some knuckleheads who are trying to get a better price.

Be patient and wait to see who is right.

I meant to say the $700 over, but time to edit expired....

Here's an ad on CL for a 2005 Chevy Impala with a KBB private party value of $1954 in good condition and the asking price is $2995. I probably would have priced it at $1995 to sell it quick. Aamco rebuilt the trans probably 5 years ago which I wouldn't call a positive.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5807949083.html

Making anything "firm" is a mistake. People just don't like being told take it or leave it. Leave yourself a few hundred bucks wiggle room.

Expecting people to pay a big premium for your aftermarket stereo or whatever isn't realistic either.

The best Craigslist prospects are the guys who got some low ball offer on the trade -in and figure it's worth a Saturday to get a thousand more.

Last edited:
I don't say firm, I don't say OBO, I don't say anything.

If someone lowballs me I just say, well, that'd be a good offer in a week or two if I don't get a better offer. And I reinforce that since the ads are free I'll run a new ad at the lower price and let them know.

I then put the bug in their ear that it's a hot commodity and I won't hold it for them to wait for it to get cheaper.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Making anything "firm" is a mistake. People just don't like being told take it or leave it. Leave yourself a few hundred bucks wiggle room.

Expecting people to pay a big premium for your aftermarket stereo or whatever isn't realistic either.

When I do a gun show or watch show or whatever, I put at least 10% the price I want and %20 over my "rock bottom" on the tag.

I have a friend who sells watches full time. He works primarily through his personal website(and a LOT of contacts with his name out there) but also sets up at shows. He also marks up about 10% over his website price at shows.

The reason is that for many folks coming to these kind of shows, it's all a game. They want to feel like they've won something over you. It's all psychology, but it's inherent in the environment.

Heck, I remember one day where there was a watch I'd priced at $150. It was a slow show, and when someone came with some interest I dropped it to $125 about 10 seconds after he looked at the tag. I came down to $100, which was what I'd paid for it, and absolutely refused to come down another cent on it. The guy and I went back and forth for at least 10 minutes over $5-at that point I didn't care. He'd irritated me enough that I really didn't even want to sell it to him on principle. The second he set it down, someone else walked over, asked me what it was, and handed me a $100 bill. About 2 minutes later, the guy I'd been arguing with came back over, said "OK" and waved $100 in my face. When I said "sorry, I sold it-you walked away from it" he started screaming and cussing enough that security came and took him out of the show.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here's an ad on CL for a 2005 Chevy Impala with a KBB private party value of $1954 in good condition and the asking price is $2995. I probably would have priced it at $1995 to sell it quick. Aamco rebuilt the trans probably 5 years ago which I wouldn't call a positive.

That guy is out of his mind. He admits to it being rusty and won't let anyone test drive it. Says he drives while they ride.

It also has the 3.4L
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

That guy is out of his mind. He admits to it being rusty and won't let anyone test drive it. Says he drives while they ride.

It also has the 3.4L
37.gif

35.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

It also has the 3.4L
37.gif

Yes and he states the oil occasionally has an odor and at the end it says OBRO. The "R" for reasonable. Sounds like an odd duck. States it's ready for an oil change, come on you're too cheap to change it. No wonder the oil smells funny.
smile.gif

I don't get people that put all these limitations and rules on seeing something they have for sale. Like anyone is going to waste their afternoon going to look at an 11 year old Impala they have no intention of buying from someone on Craigslist.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't get people that put all these limitations and rules on seeing something they have for sale. Like anyone is going to waste their afternoon going to look at an 11 year old Impala they have no intention of buying from someone on Craigslist.

Right and saying no joy riders. I could understand if it was a Corvette.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Most of the Craigslist cars I drive these days are MGs, and I can understand an owner's hesitation to hand over the keys and I suspect they get some joy riders.

I've even responded to ads that said "no test drives" but when I pull up in an MG and converse fluently in MG speak for a few minutes I never get denied a test drive-usually even without a ride-along by the owner.

smile.gif

I sold my 96' Silverado a few years ago, had the 5.7L Vortec. That thing really got up and went!

The guy I sold it to took it out on the highway for a test drive, floored it and took it up to over 80 mph. I couldn't care less.

That ad is local to me as I can tell by the marshes.

Whatever the case whoever is posting it is a dreadful CL seller putting limitations like:
I'll do the driving no joy riders. The seller is hiding something if no one can drive this car.

The ad would do better with regular maintenance and oil changes and leaving out rust spots and the minutia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back