I hate ice

Had a little whoopsy in my daily Yaris Monday morning.

Short story I hit ice and went into a ditch that was full of rocks. Car drives fine after switching tires around (has an LSD so I cannot run a donut up front) I think the control arm is tweaked.

The biggest problem is getting the rocker fixed. The car is rust free and I feel any repair is going to lead to future rust. Anyways...stuff happens and noone was hurt. Go figure I just put some HPL cleaner in the oil to experiment with. I am going to try to get a door and hammer the rocker out of the way to hopefully put the car back in service soon then worry about the rocker when I have money. Toyota still offers a replacement rocker for a reasonable price.

20240122_090924.jpg

20240122_090907.jpg

20240122_110638.jpg

20240122_094909.jpg

20240122_122854.jpg

I feel for you...that's one mean, chewy dent.

Circumstances were more favorable when an 8 minute snow squall left me completely out of contact with the road.
I went 10 feet farther off the road than you. However, there was a jagged wall of rock waiting to stop me had I gone 12.
Also, there was an assortment of big rocks which continually slough off the cut.
My car missed them all so I went into snow covered, soft grass.
The damage could have easily resembled yours...on both sides and underneath.

One mudflap was shorn off....that's all.

I even had rope. The county truck came by and pulled me out. That took less than one minute. Very lucky, I was.

I don't like driving on ice either. Going ice fishing again today and it's supposed to rain and will most likely freeze. I hope you can find a used door and whatever else it needs.

Door still opens and closes fine...just doesnt seal up top.

I am in Westminster
Stick a small piece of wood between the hinge side of the door and the hinge pillar and slowly close the door on it. Remove and check. Repeat until it gets closer to sealing. That will at least keep the cold out.

I don’t think I’d replace the rocker. How is the back side of the welded repair going to be rustproofed? I’d maybe have a shop pull on the damaged one and then prep and paint if this is a car you plan on keeping until it dies.

There almost always is, drive according to conditions.
Easy to say behind a computer, but correct speed is best defense in sketchy or any conditions.
Yeah, agreed, but black ice can be hard to see - particularly when it’s near 0C outside.

Looking at that roadway, in the OP photos of his car, was it damp with dew? Or was it slick with black ice?

Drive enough near freezing temps, and you’ll get surprised now and then, just as he did.

Looks similar to the damage my daughter's car had, except her's also had some damage to the rear door as well. State Farm totaled it, I was flabbergasted. No damage to the bottom, car drove fine.

Yea I hate ice too.

We had a really bad covering on the side roads the other day. Worst I've seen in decades. Not a whole lot of thick ice on the trees but the roads were really cold from a week of 0F temps and we had a 6 hour drizzle. Best I could do was about 20 mph and on the banked curves or high crown areas. You had to put one wheel in the snow off the side to get any traction or you just slide down with gravity.

Glad you're safe though! I didn't realize the Yaris came with an LSD.
Its an aftermarket TRD clutch type unit I had put in about 50k ago when I had to get an output shaft bearing replaced. I do race the car often and its my backup race car tbh. I am bit of a local legend with this and my other cars. Ive won my class 3 years in a row with using the combination of both cars.
20230618_084810.jpg
20221017_100140.jpg

The road was a bit of north facing pavement. Conditions were fine and I had no real reason to even consider there be ice there...it was 9⁰ that morning but the roads were pretty dry and still had leftover brine.

When I drove by the following day I found 2 more sets of tracks in the snow from cars sliding off the same road. So I wasnt the only one caught off gaurd.

If I would of tip toed thru there I likely would of been fine but I wasnt even speeding. Just luck of the draw. I bought the car new and plan to keep for as long as possible. Only has 192k on it.

In 1977 I spun out a semi truck on the Ohio I 80 out side of Cleveland It was black ice and a gust of wind blew the truck off the road which lead to the truck spinning in circles into the media then off to the right side of the road 4 revolutions it was amazing. Got towed out and went to the next rest area too a nap woke up and did a pre trip and drive to Central Islip NY and delivered the load. I hate ice even more!

Bummer - nothing more alarming than that " docking with soyuz" type feedback from the controls.
Glad you are ok.

Yeah, agreed, but black ice can be hard to see - particularly when it’s near 0C outside.

Looking at that roadway, in the OP photos of his car, was it damp with dew? Or was it slick with black ice?

Drive enough near freezing temps, and you’ll get surprised now and then, just as he did.
It would make me pucker landing an airliner in nasty conditions. I couldn't imagine.

Back