Craigslist getting a second wind? Much better search functionality than Facebook and maybe Ebay

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Craigslist may have gotten a second wind.

Craigslist now allows the ability to search 700 miles (maybe more) for an item. I search for very specific auto parts, and this feature is awesome. On Facebook, tons of non relevant posts when searching, and many times there is a listing for an item that I am searching for, but FB does not find the listing it to display.

I am locating items on CL that I am not finding on Ebay. Super happy with CL now allowing super easy regional searches.

Last edited:
Thought to add- I was searching for a dually pickup bed. I searched FB while spending the night in Boise, ID about three weeks ago. Best I could find was a bed in Elko, NV. Get home, do the search a few days later, and a bed in the right paint color comes up on FB in Boise. The listing had been on FB for eight weeks. FB marketplace search is amateur hour when compared to CL.

Maybe people are tired of all the "is this still available?" auto-replies on Marketplace.

If I'm selling something I will post on Marketplace simply because it has more traffic. If I'm looking to buy something, I always check CL as well since there are deals to be had. Usually people who don't want to deal with the FB Marketplace BS or don't have FB.

Reactions: GON
Wow. It's a shame that companies like FB can't grasp a good thing when they have it. FB Marketplace was THE place to sell things 3 years ago. it ramped up quickly and has gone downhill almost as fast.

• Sad
I sold my 05 Corvette on FB marketplace the next day after I posted it FS. There is still a good niche for FB marketplace. Around my area CL is more for agriculture equipment and older items.

Craigslist had too many people asking “is this available” in other, more creepy ways. I quit using it, and looking, due to that. Also, car dealerships have pretty much made it tough to find much without scrolling through their ads. Maybe I need to filter better?

Craigslist had too many people asking “is this available” in other, more creepy ways. I quit using it, and looking, due to that. Also, car dealerships have pretty much made it tough to find much without scrolling through their ads. Maybe I need to filter better?
CL now charges five dollars to post a vehicle for sale. Weeded out the issue you had with COL.

One issue I have is a dsimantler out of Roncho Cordova, CA. The dismantler apperatently has a automated program to post his slavage vehicles in the auto parts section of CL. Issue is each ad he posts, of which their are hundreds, he has keywords in each of his posts, so his hundrededs of adds come out no matter what one is searching for. Big issues, and I guess no one tp complain to at CL, or at least inform CL.

he has keywords in each of his posts, so his hundrededs of adds come out no matter what one is searching for. Big issues, and I guess no one tp complain to at CL, or at least inform CL.
Always hated that. I get it, if you are shopping for a half-ton, you might be cross shopping, or maybe you could be persuaded. But if I type in F150 I should not get hits for a Volvo.

Always hated that. I get it, if you are shopping for a half-ton, you might be cross shopping, or maybe you could be persuaded. But if I type in F150 I should not get hits for a Volvo.
This happens across all platforms, since paid advertising takes priority. It's the same reason why I can type "moose hunting" or something in the Youtube search and it will come up with 4 videos of that, and the rest is all unrelated content they want you to watch.

Back