I really hate people on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I sold my old 3000GT, I did not allow test drives without cash on the table, and the strict agreement that they wouldn't get it back if they broke it.

I did not get any losers looking for a joyride, and the man who purchased it test drove with extraordinary respect and method.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If someone lowballs me I just say, well, that'd be a good offer in a week or two if I don't get a better offer. And I reinforce that since the ads are free I'll run a new ad at the lower price and let them know. I then put the bug in their ear that it's a hot commodity and I won't hold it for them to wait for it to get cheaper.
THIS!

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Heck, I remember one day where there was a watch I'd priced at $150. It was a slow show, and when someone came with some interest I dropped it to $125 about 10 seconds after he looked at the tag. I came down to $100, which was what I'd paid for it, and absolutely refused to come down another cent on it. The guy and I went back and forth for at least 10 minutes over $5-at that point I didn't care. He'd irritated me enough that I really didn't even want to sell it to him on principle. The second he set it down, someone else walked over, asked me what it was, and handed me a $100 bill. About 2 minutes later, the guy I'd been arguing with came back over, said "OK" and waved $100 in my face. When I said "sorry, I sold it-you walked away from it" he started screaming and cussing enough that security came and took him out of the show.

Wow...how wrong of me to believe only I run into such childish, immature emotional volcanos. Very similar experience with a guy I even knew from a local interest club. He expressed an interest in a particular item for sale, yet never bothered to follow up, much less pay up. Absolutely threw at fit when 4 weeks later....4 weeks later, another club member comes over to buy something else, sees the item and pays cash, right then and there.

Talk about a whiner, an emotional toddler/tyrant, he just threw a fit. Completely unwilling to accept any responsibility for his (in)actions.

Icing on the cake: I wasn't selling my persoal items. I was doing it to help out the widow of a long-term club member who didn't have a clue about any of items her husband bought. Further, I was volunteering my time and efforts. This dirt-bag even knew the guy in the club!

What a loser.........

All I'm going to say is you need to re read what the NADA or KBB prices and categories reflect if you believe that things like rebuilt engines, transmissions, or new tires , etc.. actually add values to the prices they present.

On top of that, I've never shopped for a used vehicle where I have found NADA or KBB pricing to be in line with the market. They are always high, but make it easier to bracket the correct range.

All in all, you are free to ask whatever price you want. Also free to ignore whatever anyone says. Just don't be surprised if it sits out there a very long time. You'll know when you are in the right price range - I've found it to be like flipping a switch.

The other trick is to keep the add simple - rather than document everything in the ad, simply stating maintenance records availible is all you need to state - buys can ask questions from there...

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
When I sold my old 3000GT, I did not allow test drives without cash on the table, and the strict agreement that they wouldn't get it back if they broke it.

I did not get any losers looking for a joyride, and the man who purchased it test drove with extraordinary respect and method.

Any car I've sold I ALWAYS ride shotgun during the test drive too.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
All I'm going to say is you need to re read what the NADA or KBB prices and categories reflect if you believe that things like rebuilt engines, transmissions, or new tires , etc.. actually add values to the prices they present.

On top of that, I've never shopped for a used vehicle where I have found NADA or KBB pricing to be in line with the market. They are always high, but make it easier to bracket the correct range.

All in all, you are free to ask whatever price you want. Also free to ignore whatever anyone says. Just don't be surprised if it sits out there a very long time. You'll know when you are in the right price range - I've found it to be like flipping a switch.

The other trick is to keep the add simple - rather than document everything in the ad, simply stating maintenance records availible is all you need to state - buys can ask questions from there...

Yeah, I'm in sales and I've never paid retail for a car, whether buying from a dealer or private party.

All the OP is doing is wasting his time. But it's his to waste, you end up with tire kickers and scammers. I do lots of rentals so after a while, you get a certain feel for the market, price a rental too high and you get crickets. A little high and you get people who look, but don't end up doing anything. If you gets lots of contacts, maybe 1 in 10 will do it. Price it really low and the first person who sees it will take it. He's probably at the point where he's getting crickets or scammers/tire kickers. Maybe he'll come to his senses or he'll get lucky and get a sucker.

The selling side is just as scumy. I dont care to deal with grumpy old sellers who think they're going to make a living selling their junk. Craigslist is to get rid of stuff without paying the dump to take it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
bunnspecial said:
Icing on the cake: I wasn't selling my persoal items. I was doing it to help out the widow of a long-term club member who didn't have a clue about any of items her husband bought. Further, I was volunteering my time and efforts. This dirt-bag even knew the guy in the club!

What a loser.........

May I venture a guess that this was an amateur radio club? Because the exact same scenario seems to plague every club I belong to, no matter what state I am living in!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Riding shotgun is normal. Forcing a person to put money down for test drive or actually you doing the driving (I think Op Craigslist ad) not buyer them is abnormal.

Sellers can be tools too.

If I am going to buy a car from someone, I will gladly show them my valid drivers lic., and I would expect them to ride "shotgun" during my test drive. I would NEVER lay out cash to anyone before I decide to buy. As far as "breaking it", I have valid insurance that covers my actions while driving, I would gladly show my proof of insurance, if asked.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Forcing a person to put money down for test drive or actually you doing the driving (I think Op Craigslist ad) not buyer them is abnormal.

Sellers can be tools too.

I totally agree with this. Putting money down to test drive is really comical. A seller thinking he's going to drive while the buyer just rides along is a total joke.

Letting a buyer ride along is pretty silly. Having to put cash on the table to go for a test drive... that strikes me as silly too, but if it's in the ad, well, hard to argue with that. Certainly would cut down on tire kickers. it makes sense, even if I consider it over the top, if I didn't like it, I wouldn't pick up the phone.

In the end, it's a game. Two people playing a dance. No need to get emotional over it. Don't like it, walk away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: linkbelt

If I am going to buy a car from someone, I will gladly show them my valid drivers lic., and I would expect them to ride "shotgun" during my test drive. I would NEVER lay out cash to anyone before I decide to buy. As far as "breaking it", I have valid insurance that covers my actions while driving, I would gladly show my proof of insurance, if asked.

A position I can totally and completely respect.

It's just a matter of it having been my property, and I was going to sell it the way I decided to sell it.

Where insurance is concerned; I had no patience to go sit on the phone verifying details, and possibly having to get into a battle with both my insurance company and someone else's while looking at my trashed car sitting in my driveway for weeks.

But at the end of the day, I only gave a test drive to one person, and sold the car on the spot. I was not and did not end up entertaining people who were sure if they wanted to buy the car or not.

These days, I have sold my cars on eBay, where the buyer putting money down before they ever touch the car is literally the only choice they are given, or they can go somewhere else.

I remember looking for my first car driving an old man's Monty Carlo with my friends. I floored it on the on ramp and never saw so much black soot. When I came back he said it's never been over 55 mph. I was thinking to myself. It has now.

I like the ads that say no test pilots. Lots of strange requests like money in advance or saying no joy riders just turn people off, it just leads to a lower price, just a matter of supply and demand. Who wants to do deal with a weirdo? It's just that people don't realize that they are the weirdo.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Just as the title says I detest people on craigslist. I really hate people on craigslist

\
I never click-on their site. That's how you avoid them. Just don't go there.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Forcing a person to put money down for test drive

"test rides only with cash in hand"
is the norm when test riding motorcycles listed on Craigslist. In fact this has been the case every single time I have bought one including the bike that was owned by a police officer.

Last edited:
I agree that if I were selling a motorcycle, I would require cash upfront, (for a test run), as I am not going to ride "shotgun" and I may not ever see that sucker again! LOL

Last edited:
If I were selling a motorcycle, I'd let the guy ride it no problem. Just have him hand you the keys to his car that he drove over to see the motorcycle. Once he drives off, write down car license plate number or take a picture with your phone in the event he dropped a friend off before coming over and that guy drives away in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back