New Craigslist payment scam?

Have a set of hubcaps listed and this is the message exchange from the buyer/scammer in reverse order,

I will wait for the check to clear before you ship out.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 7:09 AM tracey xxxxxEMAIL]> wrote:
I will be paying with a certified check
I will send both front and back picture of the check to your email just like a physical check, so you could deposit it via your mobile.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 7:06 AM tracey xxxxxEMAIL]> wrote:
Sounds good, I will take it.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 2:30 AM craigslist 7455524669 EMAIL]> wrote:
$120 like it says in the ad

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Fri, Apr 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Subject: Re: Oldsmobile Olds 98 Toronado Wheel Covers Wheelcovers Hub Caps Hubcaps

How much are you asking for it

I guess now they have eliminated the expense of printing a fake check and the postage cost of mailing it. I don't do mobile deposit so no chance to have fun with this.

There is always a new, ingenious, unlawful way to part people from their hard earned cash.

Well, like anything, no way to know when selling something through the mail if you are going to get scammed.
A check is a check, via email or USPS.
But if uncomfortable go with your feelings and dont do it.

If you do, you just need to know if it clears, problem is if it doesnt clear your stuck with a bounced check free. I think I would insist on a money order if through the mail or PayPal the money. Also no reason for them to not mail you a physical check.
Heck there are fake money orders too. Cash is king with Craigslist when possible.

stick with cash on local pickup.

I only made one exception to this. I had some widgets for sale I purchased from a government auction. I had a repeat customer buying once a week. He always paid cash but requested to pay cash app. I let him do that, but everybody else cash is king.

Don't mess with paypal there are too many buyer "protections" that the buyer can exploit, and paypal will yank the money out of your pocket like a hot potato. I sold a mustang engine to a guy with paypal and had 4500 dollars on the hook for 60 days while they investigated the claim. Lucky for me it ended in my favor but it could have gone either way.

stick with cash on local pickup.

I only made one exception to this. I had some widgets for sale I purchased from a government auction. I had a repeat customer buying once a week. He always paid cash but requested to pay cash app. I let him do that, but everybody else cash is king.

Don't mess with paypal there are too many buyer "protections" that the buyer can exploit, and paypal will yank the money out of your pocket like a hot potato. I sold a mustang engine to a guy with paypal and had 4500 dollars on the hook for 60 days while they investigated the claim. Lucky for me it ended in my favor but it could have gone either way.
Lost $250 that way. I couldn’t prove he had the item.

You can call the bank manager at the branch where the check was issued. You probably can't figure that out with the fake check they issue.

Back