Everyones Favorite 5w30 Dino And Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX has always been my "go to" oil, for no other reason than it is what my Dad used. All I used as well until I joined here.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im curious what is everyone favorite Dino in the 5w30 viscosity?
I recently changed from PYB TO Mobil super 5000 and was curious what everyone else was using and why?

As a mechanic who has torn down hundreds of engines, shouldn't you be qualified to tell us which one you prefer based upon your years of experience? All that experience should make you one of the most qualified people on the board to give advice, assuming you actually have the experience that you claim.
He probably only used Redline, Brad Penn, or Joe Gibbs in those!
crackmeup2.gif
Seriously, either PYB (due to lots of moly), or whatever can be found cheapest in a name brand.

I would say PYB.

I notice some say Chevron Supreme and I agree it's great, but it's hard to find on the east coast...Is the consensus still that it's the same as Havoline? I ask because Chevron lists Havoline as their 'premium' oil in the BITOG Q&A.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would say PYB.

I notice some say Chevron Supreme and I agree it's great, but it's hard to find on the east coast...Is the consensus still that it's the same as Havoline? I ask because Chevron lists Havoline as their 'premium' oil in the BITOG Q&A.

No, not anymore. Funny thing is that the Chevron Supreme add pack is top of the line while their 'premium' oil Havoline is mediocre.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._Ch#Post4146198

Last edited:
My favorite go to conventional was Exxon Superflo 5w30 because it ran so smooth in any car I put it in but its been discontinued for a while now. That's how long it's been since I've used conventional oil.

Bvance554
I did own a shop good memory.. Although i consider myself an expert in rebuilding engines I am not an expert in something that changes specs. so often like engine oil.
And again im curious what everyone's favorite Dino is. So do you have a favorite dino? Also im touched that you remember so much about me.. Now here is the question of the day: Do you have any idea where i put my house keys?

PYB 5w-30 on the DD (2010 Hyundai w/2.4L). Just because I been using it and have no particular reason to change, but now with 113k on the clock I have had recent thoughts to trying something else (still have a couple jugs left), maybe try HM oil, or just say nah and keep doing what I been doing. (no leaks, no need to add during 5k OCIs). Guess I'll think about it when I'm using the last jug of PYB.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Originally Posted By: wemay
Funny thing is that the Chevron Supreme add pack is top of the line while their 'premium' oil Havoline is mediocre.

If you say that because of the Moly, Havoline now contains a significant amount as well...

This is about 5w-30 not 5w-20. Notice how the 5w-30 has significantly less moly but more calcium.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/TexacoHavoline.htm

Two things...
1. The Chevron Supreme UOA you site with your original link is a 5w20, not 5w30. This is why I posted the PQIA VOA of Havoline 5w20 as a fair comparison.

2. That second link you site from PQIA for Havoline 5W30 is 5 years old.

wink.gif

Bvance554
I did own a shop good memory.. Although i consider myself an expert in rebuilding engines I am not an expert in something that changes specs. so often like engine oil.
And again im curious what everyone's favorite Dino is. So do you have a favorite dino? Also im touched that you remember so much about me.. Now here is the question of the day: Do you have any idea where i put my house keys?

It's the Internet anything you say can and will be used against you in a thread! Your house keys are wherever you last sat them!

Funny thing is that the Chevron Supreme add pack is top of the line while their 'premium' oil Havoline is mediocre.

If you say that because of the Moly, Havoline now contains a significant amount as well...

This is about 5w-30 not 5w-20. Notice how the 5w-30 has significantly less moly but more calcium.

Two things...
1. The Chevron Supreme UOA you site with your original link is a 5w20, not 5w30. This is why I posted the PQIA VOA of Havoline 5w20 as a fair comparison.

2. That second link you site from PQIA for Havoline 5W30 is 5 years old.

wink.gif

1. Gotcha
2. It's still SN

Originally Posted By: zeng

Both the Chevron Supreme 5W20 and 5W30 are blends.
They aren't dino ...dude.

Now you're diving into a whole different ball game as to which SN dinos are really just that: dinos and not blends. Off the top of my head Havoline in those grades are blends too. This is the subject of a new thread you should make ...dude

Re: Everyones Favorite 5w30 Dino And Why?

Quote:
Im curious what is everyone favorite Dino in the 5w30 viscosity?
I recently changed from PYB TO Mobil super 5000 and was curious what everyone else was using and why?

This .... OP's context.

^ Yes, OP's context is very clear. Question is why were you trying to steer it off course with technicalities by opening up pandoras box.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
Both the Chevron Supreme 5W20 and 5W30 are blends.
They aren't dino ...dude.

That may be true, but they're still marketed and priced as conventionals, not as blends.

Trop Artic would be my top choice but it is a semi syn. I also fear with their recent new product line that their product will be detrimentally compromised to stay competitive.

Given the trend of many products recently lowering of the TBNs in QSGB
Havoline and I strongly suspect in Chevron Supreme given their last 10w-40 had TBN of 7.1 in an analysis by PQIA in 2016. I think a bunch of products are going to be reformulated with fewer additives to stay competitive and maintain a profit margin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back