Mazda 5w30 from Canada

Any idea who makes this oil?

Just had some service done at the dealer for my CX-50 Meridian Turbo with a coupon and was curious about the oil, they filled with Mazda 5w30 Full Synthetic which I assume is this one.

Are you sure it was Mazda oil they used? My local dealer uses Castrol (I know this because I'm friends with the service manager).

I’m pretty sure it’s blended by Petro- Canada; at least it used to be before PC sold their oil division to Holly Frontier.
This is what I was thinking too. The only other Canadian oil producer that I think would do this is Imperial Oil, aka Esso.

Update: It's Petro-Canada. See attached photo.
81gHNKF1xFL copy.jpg

Last edited:

Any idea who makes this oil?

Just had some service done at the dealer for my CX-50 Meridian Turbo with a coupon and was curious about the oil, they filled with Mazda 5w30 Full Synthetic which I assume is this one.
How do you like the CX-50?

How do you like the CX-50?

Personally, I love it, the Meridian edition was exactly what I was looking for... lots of room for it's size in a practical wide manner, one of the top looking CUVs and the Wildpeak tires work very well softroading and light snow. The steering is something else in this car... I wish my Macan S had the same rack!

Also my two favorite takes on the CX50:

Jason Camissa:

Verdict Mazda CX-50: The best steering I’ve felt this year, in one of my favorite SUVs. As an overall, reasonably priced package for enthusiasts who need an SUV, it doesn’t get much better than this.It’s gorgeous. “Zircon Sand Metallic” should either be called “Babyshit Brown” or just “Amazing Beige.”
The interior leather is just as nice.2.5T is the right engine for this - gruff when you need it (thanks to fake noise from the speakers) but silent when you don’t.Rides a huge wave of low-end torque for effortless acceleration — nothing up top. Limited to 5700 and it’s over before that. This is a daily-driver turbo setup: just 227 hp but 310 lb-ft.It’s quick and geared well, but AWD system allows wheelspin off the line before sending power rearward. Likely an MPG benefit but a real-world demerit.Ride is good (but 20” wheels mean harsh impacts.) Handling balance is great.
Rear seat is ok; cargo hold is enormous.Fabulous stereo, infotainment system would be great if it allowed touch-screen use while moving. It doesn’t and therefore sucks.
Brake pedal is wooden, but THE STEERING CHANGES EVERYTHING! This is genuinely the best steering I’ve felt all year: it crucifies a 911 GT3 in terms of on-center feedback.u/Porsche, u/BMW**, and every other brand that prides yourself on steering feel: go drive a CX-50 right now and take a lesson!**
It may border on “too heavy” for some, and it’s fairly slow (2.7 linear turns lock-to-lock) but it’s meaty with nonstop information from the front end. Never anything you don’t want (torque steer) but you know where the front wheels are at all times because you feel it. It’s magnificent.In other words, it’s a compact SUV that a dynamics snob could live with. And anyone with eyes would love to look at. Bravo, Mazda!
Also:

Throttle House perplexed on why the CX50 has better steering than a Miata:

Nice, how is their 5w30? I wonder if it's a special formulation for Mazda or the same.
I imagine it's as good as any SP, dexos 1 Gen 3, group lll oil, but it's not going to rock your world or anything. I cannot imagine that Mazda oil is anything special. As I recall, in my '07 Mazda manual, they didn't even recommend synthetic oil.
Most Mazda engines are simply engines... good engines, but nothing special.

Petro-Canada went hardcore on marketing their hydrocracking process back in the mid '80s. They used to advertise that their base oils were so pure, that they were as clear as water. To the average Canadian, it seemed pretty cool.
Did it actually mean anything?... I haven't a clue. 🤷‍♂️

During high school I worked at a P-Can gas station as a pump jockey. One shift we pulled a bottle of synthetic oil off the shelf and poured it into a cup, to see if it was clear... it wasn't. 🤣

It was the evening shift's responsibility to clean the mechanic's bays and we didn't mind. We'd pull all of the empty oil bottles out of the garbage and drain the residue into containers. By the end of the week (maybe two) you'd have enough collected oil to do a free oil change on you own car.

Ah, the benefits of being a "Professional Fuel Distribution Technician"!

Last edited:
Hmmm looking at the receipt, looks like they installed "0000-77-5w30-qt" which I don't think his actually full synthetic? It seems "Ultra" is their full synthetic and "Super Premium" is unknown or blend.

This is annoying, because we paid for "Full Synthetic". I only went to the dealer to have service records because our warranty goes to 2030. I guess I'll just swap it out myself at 3k miles with my actual full synthetic stash of PUP 0w30.

This is what I found:

Last edited:
Back