Change the Fram Ultra or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a car that new I would definitely change it and have a look at it. Some Ultras have shown defects, one had wrong size center holes, another had missing pleat material at an inner pleat tip, another had end cap issues. For me anyway, I would want to see it. If I had a nice new car like that I would only use either a Toyota OE cartridge or a TRD cartridge, also sold by Toyota.

Best idea on an under warranty vehicle is change everything & inspect the filter (cutting open if necessary) to see how it did. Seems like the screw-on Ultras are almost indestructible, the cartridge Ultras are not as durable & can have issues.

I understand your concern about the possible broken Ultra pleat and the risk it would impose moving forward into the 2nd oil change. But I plan to do an oil analysis on the 1st oil change and if the unchanged filter data looks questionable I would immediately redo the 2nd oil change with a new filter.

The 1st oil change will only have 5K miles and since I am doing a drain & oil refill the oil filter cartridge remains undisturbed and will be similar to forum users who choose do a 10K oil change on the same oil & filter.

Note: I would not have violated the Toyota warranty since the filter still is within recommended 10K service.

Last edited:
To me, changing the oil and leaving the filter is like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on, it just don't feel right! Is a $9 filter that big of deal to change? Or, you could just run it out the rest of the 3k and not worry about it, the setup you have is more than able to handle that type of OCI.

As a teenager, I also grew up changing the oil & filter. Dad taught me but I also ate potatoes, pasta and rice. All white until I learned about the phyto-chemical enriched purple fingerling potatoes, high fiber whole wheat pasta and the super food quinoa. Availability and the nutritional data overwhelms the family comfort foods that I emotionally became attached to. I cannot blame dad for instilling that behavior but I can still learn and accommodate new standards.

I wasn't too long ago that I used to do 3K dino OCI with a filter.

I change filters when the oil gets changed. Seems stupid to intensionally leave dirty oil in the engine with a dirty filter. Filters are cheap. Engines are not. Keep it simple.

Common sense tells me this:FRAM ULTRA rated for 15K so don't be silly, go 15k. Least that's what I am doing as I have faith in FRAM, not Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back