Change the Fram Ultra or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in PA and plan to do an oil change at the end of this year using TGMO & Fram Ultra. Based on my Blackstone reports, the oil's flashpoint drops 40-50F because of the winter so I plan for another OCI in April 2017. I usually do an OC every 6K miles.

Currently, I am at 5K miles on the car and will drive another 3K miles before the end of December oil change.

This is a 2014 Venza V6 AWD with 40K miles and 5 ppm of iron for a 6K OCI. The Venza is on a steady diet of Pennzoil Platinum (PP) or TGMO.

Question: I am currently running PP and a Fram Ultra.
Is it OK to drain and refill with fresh PP with NO filter change?
Is it worth the extra effort to drain the oil filter housing using that plastic spigot adapter?

I hate to waste another Fram Ultra filter.

What is the consensus?

I'm pretty sure your engine is clean given the low mileage and choice of oil. I would keep the Ultra in for another OCI. Don't touch the filter, just drain and refill the oil.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I'm pretty sure your engine is clean given the low mileage and choice of oil. I would keep the Ultra in for another OCI. Don't touch the filter, just drain and refill the oil.

+1.

.....but I wouldn't do 3 OCIs as somebody suggested in another thread.

If the Venza is still under Toyota vehicle warranty and warranty requirement is filter change at each OC, then you should change out the FU cartridge. That way there can be no question(s) about filter considerations with vehicle warranty.

If not under vehicle warranty, or it's not a concern for you, then you can leave the cartridge in. As for draining your call as to worth extra effort. Not sure how much oil you get with drain of housing.

One other thing, based on post use anecdotes here I have less confidence in the Ultra cartridges for extended ocis as compared to the FU spin on, just me. If post use Ultra cartridges in your application have looked good, you can make your own judgement. My .02

So you're going to go 8k on this OCI? Is that for 1 year?

You'll probably get alot of varying opinions on this. Fram says the ultra is good for 15,000 miles, so with that in mind you'd be safe until then. Me personally? If your mileage is such that you do one change per year, just change the filter at the same time.

If you did stick with the same filter, I don't think I'd bother taking it off to drain the old stuff out, again at that point you're so close to changing it you might as well change it.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

One other thing, based on post use anecdotes here I have less confidence in the Ultra cartridges for extended ocis as compared to the FU spin on, just me. If post use Ultra cartridges in your application have looked good, you can make your own judgement. My .02

Can you explain this a little further. I'm also looking at Ultra cartridges for my Toyota and curious about any differences with the spin on type.

Yes, it is a Fram Ultra Cartridge. I do have a cellulose based Mann filter that I could use.

Update: Fram Ultra Cartridge and current oil change was done July 16, 2016

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

Can you explain this a little further.....

Since you asked... See links. That said, perhaps for Toyota cartridge applications the FU fitment and/or endcap durability is better....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/all/Fram_Ultra_FAILURE

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3930157/Fram_Ultra_=_Piece_of_[censore

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4120400/1

Then there is size/capacity - I could put the cartridge from our Cruze in my shirt pocket - one OCI and the only vehicle I run an OEM filter on ...

When I had a MINI, it used a cartridge filter. Mann is top-notch so if it were mine I would put the Mann in for 2 OCI.

If you are leaving the Fram in, don't drain the filter housing. One of the benefits of a 2OCI filter is the lack of dry starts.

If the Venza is still under Toyota vehicle warranty and warranty requirement is filter change at each OC, then you should change out the FU cartridge. That way there can be no question(s) about filter considerations with vehicle warranty.

This +1.

Did a one year change this spring - OEM filter and PP 5W-30 on my 2009 V6 Venza. About 4,000 miles on that OCI. All short trips, winter is usually -10F daily temps.
Won't be doing that again. Filter was sludgy and oil was nasty black.
Going back to 6 month OCI, PP and OE filter. Even though the mileage is 2,000 for the OC.
The $40 is worth my piece of mind.

Lots of fleet tests have been done and the consensus is that it's cost effective to run a filter two OCI's
smile.gif

stop being a worry wart as Fram Ultra filter is rated for 15K miles.
2014 Venza V6 AWD with 40K miles and 5 ppm of iron for a 6K OCI.
Doing a total of 8K miles on this filter might not even break double digit for iron ppm.
There are numerous people here on this board who change out the Fram Ultra filter after two oil changes.

Since my work drive is 80/20 highway, it sounds like I can do a 2OCI filter, avoiding a dry start, save a Ultra filter and operate within Toyota's 10K oil/filter change. Looks like it a 5K drain and fill.

Last edited:
I'm currently running a Fram Pro Synthetic FPS7317 (Ultra's twin) for two 4,500 mile runs in my Infiniti and two 6,000 mile runs in my Honda. With a solid history of regular oil changes, I have no worries.

Change the filter they fail , I had an Ultra fail all filters . I doubt we will ever see any benefits from the expensive filters other than to feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back